Notices

The concept of a "plan"

Old 03-07-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The concept of a "plan"

Hello.

The question I see here asked a lot is "Do you have a plan?"

I drank after 8 days without a drink. The longest I had ever gone. I am currently on Day 3 after struggling to get my momentum back. Today is the first day my head is cleared up enough to really think about things.

When I think of a plan I think of the links Dee provided. One in particular suggests creating a 3 ring binder and creating a Wellness Toolbox, things you can do to keep yourself on track (that's how I interpreted it.) and it talks about things to do if you find myself going off track.

It all sounds really good but my question is, what would make a person who really wants a drink open up their 3 ring binder and look at their plan?

I know I must be missing something here, and maybe other newcomers could gain something if this were explained.

I don't want a debate, I am not bashing Dee or the plan advice. I want to understand it.

Thank you!
Old 03-07-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you post the links that Dee provided to you? Im curious about this...
Old 03-07-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Having a plan includes tools to counter cravings & urges I've seen D's link he's got a excellent cravings link which I've also inc

Reaching out via SR or phoning a trusted friend is the advice I give out most

Here are 2 links that have saved many a sobriety remember there are lots of tools you can use Inc playing the tape that always helps

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Here are some useful links to some great threads to help you

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 03-07-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

For me, I needed to develop mindfulness, so important for me. I know that word has a bunch of different meanings, but to me it means the ability to monitor my feelings, to actually think about what I am thinking at the moment, if that makes any sense. Learning to do this gave me some space around my emotions so that I could choose how to react to them.

So, that binder would get used when you became aware of a feeling of nervousness around alcohol, about alcohol. If you blindly just move forward with getting your drink on without being aware of what the heck you are doing, you are going to have a rough time. You are going to end up recovering from yet another blackout doing damage control. The next phase is disgust and disappointment, depression, and nothing calls for hair of the dog like that.

The answer is awareness of your thoughts as you are thinking them. The mindfulness, or self awareness, comes into play, when you feel like you are going to make the drinking happen, and you generate that split second of awareness, and then choose to go and do something helpful instead of drinkful.

And looking at that binder would definitely be helpful.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Grendhar View Post
It all sounds really good but my question is, what would make a person who really wants a drink open up their 3 ring binder and look at their plan?
I think the answer to your question is that in the initial stages of quitting, you need to take the initiative to "open the binder" on a regular basis BEFORE you want a drink. Whether your plan involves going to meetings, reading, therapy, or whatever...you need to develop a routine and a daily practice of following your plan. Later on the plan may become more supplemental than a critical daily/hourly task, but you always have it there if you need it.

I believe the link you were referring to from Dee was this one for the others who asked

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 03-07-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The only plan that works is waking up each day and making the commitment you will not drink that day. Think of the benefits of not drinking 1) Health 2) Money 3) Positive Relationships with family and friends. Tell yourself - Its all over when you take that first drink. Its just not worth it.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think that a "plan" is more of a definitive
action to totally quit.
I've written notes, stories, etc, "played the tape to the end",
been to meetings, sponsors, studied avrt, name it.

Too many times, I've fallen.

The wise people here, basically say that you
need to want to be sober more than you want to drink.

They speak the truth.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Having a plan doesn't mean that you don't have to make an effort to pick up the binder before you drink. You have to make the effort and a plan will help you reach your goals.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

I'll echo the sentiment that you have to make the commitment to stay clean every day no matter how you feel.

Another thing that became important to me was the realization that I had no idea how to stay clean, and I had no ability to formulate a plan for myself that would work. I can only give my own experience that I went to NA (we take folk that just used alcohol too, although that sure wasn't me), and that I took direction from some guys who had been clean a long time and knew how to do that.

12 step program or no, I think it's vital to have some people you can talk to who have been where you are and have found a way out and have maintained sobriety for an extended period of time. It's a bit cheesy, but one of my favorite definitions of "meetings" are the places where you meet the people who will save your butt when you're all jammed up in your head. - Of course you have to call them before you use.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The person inside them that really doesn't want a drink.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well I suppose you need to be willing to resist that immediate urge to pick up for long enough to try the other strategies that you have in your plan.

I don't know about you, but my plan for 'dealing' with pretty much anything (happiness; excitement; fear; anxiety; family celebrations; funerals; arguments; reunions; my team winning; my team winning; toothache; a cold; being fat; losing weight; a break up; a new relationship... you know the kind of thing no doubt) was always quick-relief strategies (alcohol and other). Once those things were removed, I needed to make sure that something else was put in their place to make me less likely to resort to the old strategies.

The things that I put in place of drinking I need to practice daily, or I start to feel out of sorts. That's what, I suppose, people mean when they say working their program, or carrying out their plan. The start is really hard because all of it is a really conscious effort, and the cravings are at their worst. I felt really lucky to have AA and this place to support me to get me through it after a horrendous first month of white-knuckling it with no strategic plan other than 'don't drink'.

One thing's for sure - you're more likely to look at your plan if you actually have one. Not sure it needs a ring binder to start off with - maybe just start with a sheet of A4 that can be folded and kept in your pocket / wallet for quick reference.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

On top of educating myself to no end about the dangers of alcohol and abuse of it, my plan is pretty simple.
I daily check in, read, and if possible post here at SR.
I do not go out to any place where alcohol is served. N'or do I allow anyone to drink at my house.
I try to at least take a break each day to reflect, relax, or be thankful for living a sober life.
I find the rest falls into place nicely, and no i dont carry around a three ring binder.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

On the first page of my own binder, I wrote myself a synopsis of where I was at the end. I make myself read it every day. It is just a few sentences, and takes only a moment.

If reading that paragraph first thing in the morning does NOT make me feel grateful, or no longer sounds important enough to help me make my daily commitment, then I know I am in some degree of trouble.

And I MAKE myself read through my action plan and DO something...place a call, tell my partner I am not strong, read for half an hour through the broken bloody first days of others on SR, then take a walk...I make myself DO something. So far, so good.

Edit: Oh, and I have a short list of things I make sure I do, from my "stay well" page...What those are will vary by person, I suppose...but they are the handful of things I found most healing and most stabilizing for myself. And I do them every day, feel good, feel bad, feel strong/weak, powerful of scared. Every day.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeCree View Post
On top of educating myself to no end about the dangers of alcohol and abuse of it, my plan is pretty simple.
I daily check in, read, and if possible post here at SR.
I do not go out to any place where alcohol is served. N'or do I allow anyone to drink at my house.
I try to at least take a break each day to reflect, relax, or be thankful for living a sober life.
I find the rest falls into place nicely, and no i dont carry around a three ring binder.
LOL...mine is a tiny skinny spiral that I have no excuse to not have with me. I am very attached to it, I must admit!
Old 03-07-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Grendhar, I had that same question for a long time. When I'd first tried to quit, I went to AA and they said call someone if you want a drink. Well, when I'd decided I wanted a drink, I didn't want to be talked out of it. This went on for a very long time and I made it a month or more several times.
I did finally "get it" and I think Scott and others gave you the answer: don't wait until you want a drink to look at your plan.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Hello.

The question I see here asked a lot is "Do you have a plan?"

I drank after 8 days without a drink. The longest I had ever gone. I am currently on Day 3 after struggling to get my momentum back. Today is the first day my head is cleared up enough to really think about things.

When I think of a plan I think of the links Dee provided. One in particular suggests creating a 3 ring binder and creating a Wellness Toolbox, things you can do to keep yourself on track (that's how I interpreted it.) and it talks about things to do if you find myself going off track.

I know I must be missing something here, and maybe other newcomers could gain something if this were explained.

I don't want a debate, I am not bashing Dee or the plan advice. I want to understand it.

Thank you!
I think it's very important to internalize your plan so that you can respond to a situation or urge no matter where you are.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

...my question is, what would make a person who really wants a drink open up their 3 ring binder and look at their plan?
Really wanting to get sober.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with the mindfulness part. It's absolutely our own jobs to make the planning and exercising of the plan happen every day. I think of my recovery plan like a fire drill. Careful planning and preparation and practice will keep me out of the fire, and safe as long as I keep all my safety tools handy, relevant and in good working order. it is as easy as not taking that first drink and as hard as exercising and maintaining a carefully practiced plan every day as a preventative measure.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

a reminder binder ??? sober toolbelt ???

True, in some cases once the discision to drink has been made, it may be too late.

This sober tool box binder for me would also be something that I would study and do when I'm not necessarily wanting a drink. Maybe we could call it a reminder binder.

Remind me of what?
Possibly of how terrible it was when I was drinking and what I need to do so as to stay away from the liquid devil?

My reminder binder (staying sober plan) consist of,
AA meetings
a lot of reading and posting at soberrecovery.com
church
bible studies
if I drank -- a wife that would kick my butt right before leaving home.

M-Bob
Old 03-07-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

What Anna said.

Added to that, I find it useful to memorize the things in my Toolbox. But that depends on what you prefer.