Notices

Old 02-28-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

I'm new here . I've been seeing a counselor trying to get my depression under control--she doesn't believe that I'm an alcoholic but she does think I turn to it and abuse it when I'm in a low spell (or maybe that means I'm an alcoholic and I'm just trying to deny it!) Anwyay, obviously I'm here so I think there is something about my alcohol use that is causing problems. I have a friend who went through the steps and I reached out to them just to let someone know what I'm going through but then I found this forum and thought I'd jump on here to get some support and have a place I can be held accountable! My partner had some issues with alcohol when he was younger but now just drinks recreationally, but he can tell when I'm suffering and when I'm about to "relapse" so I'm glad I have that support system too! Telling him was the hardest part since he asked me if I wouldn't drink this weekend, but of course once I was alone it was the first thing I did.

Last night I was out socially drinking but I overdid it (and I probably made an ass of myself) so I'm ready to pull the plug. The guilt I felt waking up this morning let me know that there is something wrong. I know that it will help alleviate my depression too. Anyway, I don't know what else to say-I'm just reaching out into the abyss for some support and help! So today is day 1 for me!
Old 02-28-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!! You will find lots of great support here!
Old 02-28-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! Getting sober was the best thing I've ever done for myself. My life is so much better now. I wake up feeling good every day.

I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks! I'm currently suffering from shame and guilt because of the way I acted last night. I know that reaching out for help was the most important thing and if anyone brings up last night my response will be that I know I overdid it and I'm taking steps to get help. Hopefully no one will be angry at that, and if they are I need to learn to forgive myself anyway. But do you (or anyone) have tips for overcoming these emotions? I'm in school and I have to go back tomorrow after the weekend and I feel so much shame because I'm worried someone saw me. One of my friends shot me an email saying that it was nice to hang out with me last night so I couldn't have been THAT bad....but I know having these self-pity emotions is not good and isn't good for recovery.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What works for me to avoid self pity, and other negative feelings, is to practice gratitude every day. I give thanks for my blessings, no matter how small. My whole mindset is better now. I focus on the positive instead of the negative.

We have a gratitude forum here. Give it a try.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bigbear

what you call it is less important than doing something about it I think?
If your drinking is causing you problems it makes sense to stop

You'll find a lot of support here - welcome

D
Old 02-28-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Bigbear!!
Old 02-28-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! X
Old 02-28-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Bigbear; glad you found us.

I hope that the support, understanding and encouragement that you find here will help you achieve lasting sobriety and full recovery,
Old 02-28-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I'm not currently suffering from wanting to drink, I'm just embarrassed about last night. But you have to just apologize and remind people you're suffering from a disease and you're taking steps to get help. I reached out to most everyone around me and told them about the stupid mistake I made last night and just said that I'm going to abstain so that I don't make another stupid mistake! It helps to be reminded that I'm not the first alcoholic to act like a fool and that reaching out for help is the only thing you can do!

Does anyone have a plan they can link me to? Coming here and reading and posting has been incredible, but I know I'll need some more guidance if I want to continue this way, which I do!
Old 02-28-2016, 09:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This thread may be helpful.... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

I'd also suggest checking out your local recovery groups. AA (which is what I do, so obviously, I'd recommend that) or SMART or whatever. Get some one to one advice and support, and make some sober friends at the same time.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you, beccybean!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree wholeheartedly with Beccybean. I used one of the recovery plans from that thread for myself and that has really deeply implanted the notion of sober recovery in my brain. If you are totally committed, get as many tools as possible for your arsenal that you find helpful for you.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Big welcome & Hello BigBear