Notices

On The Fence

Old 02-26-2016, 02:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yeah if they can med me so I feel like I'm .05 all the time that'd be great. I know benzos will do that but I think you have to take more and more just like booze right?
Old 02-26-2016, 02:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emptycan View Post
I might need to be medicated to stay away from it. I had a pretty rough upbringing to put it lightly. My mother had/has addiction and mental health issues.
These issues most likely need to be explored and dealt with, huh? Much of my own recovery is getting to the bottom of the issues... Lots of soul searching too... In the meantime, not drinking has helped my thinking so I can problem solve better.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

emptycan the best thing you can do for yourself right now is to have a hot shower, a big glass of water and then try for sleep again.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yeah if they can med me so I feel like I'm .05 all the time that'd be great. I know benzos will do that but I think you have to take more and more just like booze right?
Not saying benzos are the answer m'friend ... But I think you're right you can build a tolerance, but they might help you sleep..:
Old 02-26-2016, 03:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've been "tapering" for 6 months now. It's like impossible. A joke. lol. It only works when I barely have any money.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hot shower good idea..,get a snack..:: how about ice cream?
Old 02-26-2016, 03:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm not asking for medical advice but did your guyes gums and tongue bleed easily after brushing during your use?
Old 02-26-2016, 03:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've been "tapering" for 6 months now. It's like impossible. A joke. lol. It only works when I barely have any money.
Ok, fair enough... Maybe tapering isn't best for you...
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Empty Can,

I can relate to needing a drink before noon and feeling stuck because of being physically reliant on alcohol. Take it easy on yourself and take care of yourself -- whatever you decide.

I'm of the opinion that the problem with drinking is the drink, not us. A world where ingesting a poison is normal, and choosing your health over drinking is taboo. In a way, any person who drinks is taking a risk that (given the right circumstances) they will become addicted and subsequently be controlled by it. Have you made a pros/cons list of drinking yet?
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm not asking for medical advice but did your guyes gums and tongue bleed easily after brushing during your use?
No
Old 02-26-2016, 03:06 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
No
Well ****.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey emptycan, those posts about feeling anxiety until you have a beer sound so familiar. You seem on the fence and I was like that for several years, drinking days away while collecting unemployement, losing a job, basically drifting through life until I had my next drink. It was time completely lost, wasted. Finally 7 months sober now and feel awesome physically, decent job (boss is taking me out to lunch today), and dealing with life in way more healthy manners (exersize, therapy, and trying medication). Life's not perfect but you can start to figure out what you want without drinking (you mentioned that), takes a while but that's happening to me on the daily. You can;t get that time "on the fence" back. Welcome and good luck
Old 02-26-2016, 03:21 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have never had that problem, either. I do remember reading that Duff McKagen from Guns N Roses wrote about that happening to him when he was at his worst. His autobiography is called, "It's So Easy, and Other Lies."
Old 02-26-2016, 03:36 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Last time I quit I went to the ER and he gave me Librium. Unfortunately I didn't get the script in time. I think I'll go get some today, try it again. I'm tired of being bitched at for drinking. Maybe I can get a quick look at my mouth while I'm there.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good idea EC nice to meet you
Old 02-26-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Hi, welcome, and here's my advice (stuff I've learned so far):

1. If you're still drinking, be careful quitting. You don't want to go into withdrawals. It's smart to tell your doctor so they know and can help you if they think you're in danger.

2. You don't necessarily need AA. Lots of people use other strategies. For me, I found their philosophies bleak and disturbing. Other people swear by them. Don't let anybody browbeat you, pro or con. There are LOTS of organizations.

3. Beware the tendency in the "recovery community" to pathologize EVERYTHING. Go into sobriety with the full expectation that you'll feel GREAT and everything will go swimmingly. Remember that a headache is probably just a headache -- it doesn't mean you have PAWS.

4. Before you seek any new "treatment" (including prescription meds or counseling) for any other problems or negative feelings, remember that alcohol CAUSES and/or WORSENS such problems. I'd have sworn I was drinking due to anxiety and insomnia...until I quit drinking. And now I don't have anxiety or insomnia any more! If you have a problem, get help. But don't anticipate trouble.

Bottom line: Give sobriety a chance to work for you and it will probably solve a lot of what ails you! Good luck, my friend!
Old 02-26-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi EmptyCan,

Welcome! I was never a morning drinker, I would have a glass of wine each night after work. The problem was it never turned out to be one glass. After periods of past sobriety I convinced myself I could moderate without a problem.

I tried moderating, and found it would work out well for a few days/weeks, but gradually would turn back into me drinking daily.

I am 58 days sober today, and I can share that I have much less anxiety, and I have seen both physical and mental improvements. It is nice but o sensing about whether or not I should dink, or have that next drink.

You can do this, however, you need to be read to stop for you. There are lots of supports out there, and it sounds like last time you had them forced upon you. Try reading around and check out Dee's link on plans. Decide what tools will help support you.

It will be nice to not worry about the contraption in your car because you know you are sober.

Glad you are here!

❤️ Delilah
Old 02-26-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Why is alcohol even legal? That and tobacco just proves our government does not give one ****.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Why is alcohol even legal? That and tobacco just proves our government does not give one ****.

Not everyone abuses it like *we* do. Good luck and welcome!
Old 02-26-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Emptycan!!