Notices

Addiction, Recovery and Employment

Old 02-26-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction, Recovery and Employment

In January I "resigned" from my job after a relapse during which I didn't show up for work for three days. One of my work colleagues came to look for me and found me at home, passed out. Thankfully they got me to the hospital.

I had been there for 8 years. When I first started in 2008, after a few months I had a slip and missed a critical meeting, at which time they found out about my alcoholism (I confessed when I was drunk). They decided to give me a second chance, but at the time we signed an employment agreement stating that if I slipped again that it would mean that I was resigning from my employment there. I otherwise was a good employee and helped the company grow, and the owner told me after my resignation how much they valued my contributions.

I know I have a lot of work to do to make sure my recovery this time is healthy and that I can succeed in the workplace, and I am working on that. But I also have logistical questions, and ethical ones too, such as:

1. To what extent must I, or should I, disclose anything about my alcoholism to future employers? I know ADA prevents discrimination, but have others wrestled with this question of ethics and disclosure?

2. Should someone contact my last employer as to why I left, what can they say? I know they want me to succeed and per my agreement I resigned, but can they disclose that I had an alcohol issue if pressed? I will probably look for employment in the same circles of our profession so I worry about word getting out that I may be "damaged goods". While they are supportive, the president also is a strong believer in candid honesty. Should I even be looking for work in the same professional circles?

I guess I want to know my legal rights, but also would like to hear how others ethically navigated this in their careers, and/or dealt with the fallout in their career circles.

Thanks all, DW.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Last I knew, a former employer can only say "yes, she was employed here". What they actually say is up to them. And no, I would not disclose my alcoholism to future employers. It's none of their business and there is a stigma to it that may scare them off hiring you.

Are you working on staying sober? If not, now would be a good time to start a recovery plan.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No, I would not disclose my prior alcohol problems with a future employer.

In this age of excessive litigation, you might be surprised how little a previous employer might say. After all, what's in it for them?
Old 02-26-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SunnyDenver View Post
In January I "resigned" from my job after a relapse during which I didn't show up for work for three days. One of my work colleagues came to look for me and found me at home, passed out. Thankfully they got me to the hospital.

I had been there for 8 years. When I first started in 2008, after a few months I had a slip and missed a critical meeting, at which time they found out about my alcoholism (I confessed when I was drunk). They decided to give me a second chance, but at the time we signed an employment agreement stating that if I slipped again that it would mean that I was resigning from my employment there. I otherwise was a good employee and helped the company grow, and the owner told me after my resignation how much they valued my contributions.

I know I have a lot of work to do to make sure my recovery this time is healthy and that I can succeed in the workplace, and I am working on that. But I also have logistical questions, and ethical ones too, such as:

1. To what extent must I, or should I, disclose anything about my alcoholism to future employers? I know ADA prevents discrimination, but have others wrestled with this question of ethics and disclosure?

2. Should someone contact my last employer as to why I left, what can they say? I know they want me to succeed and per my agreement I resigned, but can they disclose that I had an alcohol issue if pressed? I will probably look for employment in the same circles of our profession so I worry about word getting out that I may be "damaged goods". While they are supportive, the president also is a strong believer in candid honesty. Should I even be looking for work in the same professional circles?

I guess I want to know my legal rights, but also would like to hear how others ethically navigated this in their careers, and/or dealt with the fallout in their career circles.

Thanks all, DW.
I used to work in HR for a large company.

No, they won't say anything about your alcoholism. They will likely say that yes you were employed until xyz date and that it is company policy not to give references...all they can do is verify employment date.

As for future employers, no I would not say anything. Once you have been there a while, if you feel comfortable disclosing that you are in AA or something then I think it is totally fine. My boss knows I am in AA because it serves me well for her to know. There's a meeting on an island off cape cod I am going to be running on Wednesdays starting in May. I need t leave work by 3 to catch a 3:30 ferry to get there. I explained to my boss and she was all for it. I can come in at 7 and work through lunch and leave at 3. If she didn't know how important my recovery is to me I doubt that would be allowed. If, for example, I said I was taking a piano class or I wanted to meet a friend every Wed. afternoon I'm sure she wouldn't be so accommodating. You will be surprised at hoe understanding people are when you are doing the right things.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I wouldn't tell my work I'm an alcoholic
Old 02-26-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would definitely not tell anyone I work with about my alcoholism. Unfortunately there is still a stigma about addiction and people don't understand. It could so easily come back and bite you. What if you forgot a meeting or something you said you would do? Would your boss quickly think, hmm, I wonder if she's drinking again? Don't go there.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you worked for a large company I would say you have little to worry about. They don't want to get involved with your issues, and they've probably seen much worse.

If its a smaller company (less than 50 employees) and you go to another company in the same industry across town, those guys probably talk, and while I don't think they would say anything specific, they may make a vague reference that there were some issues. In the end, if you can prove to be an asset, you will get hired. my 2 cents.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not sure on the legal side where you're from, no one at my work knows about my history of drinking, all they know is I now don't drink, that's all they need to know.

Ethics, morality, right/wrong . . . this is Sobreity, keep it going, after drawing that final line under alcohol, keep moving forward!!
Old 02-27-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks to all, great feedback! Much appreciated.

Onward and upward...
Old 02-27-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with the above. When a new employer calls your former company will just state SunnyDenver worked for us from abc-xyz dates. Have you asked for any letters of reference, or do you have any positive performance reviews you can share with a new employee during the interview/hiring process?