Notices

Can these be considered tools?

Old 02-09-2016, 05:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
By rarely and/or minimally acting on other people's suggestions here (as I see it), you've limited yourself to the help you may need, but also may not now be aware of.

A couple of things about Step #3 got my attention. You noticed that "most people drink very moderately and handle it quite well, it seemed to enhance their evening and that was it." Makes me wonder if there isn't a part of you that still believes that you can do this. And, agreeing with Scott, comparing yourself to other people who drink or who do anything else, really, is bad psychology. The only person and the only behavior you need to address is you and yours. We all compare ourselves to other people; it's how we're built. But it's not a tool for either recovery or growth when we use it as a means of evaluating ourselves in comparison to people who seem either better off or worse off than we are.
EndGame, your input is very helpful, but what I've listed above particularly caught my attention. A wise person once told me something to the effect of "you don't know what you don't know". Never heard that before, but its so true. So I understand I need to be open to everything, because I sure as hell don't know all there is.

I also agree and endorse the thought of comparing one's self to another. Its a one way street to disappointment. Someone is always going to be worse off, or better off, or have a bigger house or a more expensive car...you get the picture.