Notices

So this is how terrible I am

Old 02-01-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

And do you think that you "friend" who is going to help you will do a better job than an experienced treatment centre?

I once was signed in at a rehab many Years ago. I didn't even stay 2 hours because I had a stupid nervous argument with the secretary who was signing me in and I walked out straight away. Fast forward 5 years and I checked back in. It was the best thing I have ever done for my sobriety and I regret wasting the chance that I had 5 years ago.

You are fortunate that you have this opportunity. Swallow your pride, wake up and smell the coffee then go back. At least give it a few days. It sounds as if you had already made up your mind that it would not help.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Inpatient. Within an hour everything became hazy and all I could think about was drinking. I have some conversation with a professional, but I was obsessing over drinking so I didn't listen much. And quickly after that I just told them that I didn't want to be there and left.
Next time Mike why not try telling them what is going on more specifically. I am sure you are not the first person to come there and want to drink almost immediately after arriving. I sometimes fight my worst cravings right after leaving an AA meeting but I still go knowing that in the long run the content of the meeting will sink and and benefit me. Talk to them. Also realize that getting sober just pretty much sucks balls. Excuse the language. But it does. You have to prepared for a certain amount of discomfort, annoyance, anger and frustration. When all that arrives, as it will, you have to decide "this is it, this time I am going to fight through it" Your best chance at fighting through that is in a center where everyone around you is either going through it themselves or there to assist you with the process.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sounds like you need to be put into protective custody and locked up for a few days. Getting sober freaking sucks more than anything. You just have to do it. I have no tidbits of advice or words of wisdom...you just DO IT.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Alcoholism is a progressive disease, Mike; it only gets worse - much, much worse. Without treatment, your future is far scarier than a few months in a lock-down facility.

Seize the moment, Mike; get back to the treatment center.

Wishing you the best.
I second this- from my own experience. Alcoholism is very progressive and believe me it spirals faster than you can possibly imagine. If you have the chance to get help, to get sober and to stay sober just do it mike. It's scary at first. The Unknown always is, but have a look at where your life may be if you keep this cycle up. I wish you all the best, and really hope you do decide that sobriety is worth it. You are worth it Mike...just remember that. X
Old 02-01-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't know what to tell you that hasn't already been said. I hope you will accept help to get sober. If you continue drinking, things will just get worse.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Mike, you're not "terrible". Please stop telling yourself things that you'd never say to someone you love.

You deserve a better life. You have to believe that before you can have it though.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
You stayed in an excellent treatment centre for only 2 hours before giving up and leaving? Did I understand that right? Is it an out or in patient facility?
This is what I predicted in your last thread, Mike. That you would walk out. I also said that you needed to get in a situation where your power of choice was taken away from you.

My last post to you also said in bold red caps, COOPERATE. You didn't, and so you're drinking again.

I don't see much help for you in your friend or anything outpatient.

This is a matter of life and death. Have yourself declared incompetent and your parents placed in charge. Or get into a lock-down facility.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Just a cautionary tale for you as you work through this. I know you have mentioned in the past that your health is fine. So was mine for a long time when I was drinking heavily. Tests were all normal, BP a tad high but nothing to be worried about. All was good. Then, six months later when I went for my checkup, my liver enzymes were off the charts high and into the severe damage range. My BP was 140 / 110 and my reseting heart rate was over 100. And this was a few weeks after my last drink.

All of this damage happened in a VERY short amount of time. The body eventually reaches a breaking point. My doctor basically told me if I continue to drink, my liver is going to fail. Not maybe but definitely fail. I'm now on medication for my BP and my levels have to be checked constantly. Get help now before you destroy your health. It can happen extremely fast and without warning or any physical symptoms.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Mike -

There are wiser folks on here than I that are giving you great advice. You have my support - it is going to suck and there is no quick fix but you can do this.

Stay close to this site if you need to.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Also realize that getting sober just pretty much sucks balls. Excuse the language. But it does.
^this

Mike I haven't followed much; I'm brand new to this forum. But it sure seems like you must be getting *something* out of this cycle of back and forth posts. What do you think that is?

I truly feel for you. I hope you can find your way soon.

((hugs))
Old 02-01-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

My friend has started helping me. So I'm getting help. He's really good at what he does, so I'm going with it.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Let's all take a deep breath and remember this is the "Newcomers Forum"

Also, please watch the type of language used when posting.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

What is your friend going to do for you Mike ? What does he do ?
Old 02-01-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevepearce View Post
What is your friend going to do for you Mike ? What does he do ?
Help people will all kinds of personal problems. Has been doing it for 20 years at least. Details are not allowed on this forum.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I hope you drop this charade and go back to rehab immediately in order to save your life.

I wish you peace.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melina View Post
I hope you drop this charade and go back to rehab immediately in order to save your life.

I wish you peace.
I know you mean well, but charade?
Old 02-01-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Mike, I think that a lot of people come at you with the tough love and tough talk because they really care. I really do not think people are trying to be mean, I think they see that other approaches haven't had an effect so they want to try another route in order to get through. I do understand that it hurts though. The truth always does.
The thing is sobriety is something we have to work at and not always in some satisfying, accomplished way. I think of times I have busted my butt getting stuff done for the day, banging out my chores, sweating under the sun to mow the grass, racing around left and right to get errands done and it is all very annoying and tiring but I do get into bed at night with a certain amount of relief and satisfaction at what I have done. Sometimes sobriety is this way-long fight, working, going to AA or SMART meetings, checking on SR, taking the medication, fighting cravings, researching doctors, etc etc etc and I go to bed still fighting off cravings, pissed that I can't drink, not feeling satisfied, feeling instead angry and annoyed and it just seems like it isn't worth it. But the thing is, it is. Getting sober doesn't always give us that immediate feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment. Don't get me wrong, making it through one day sober is HUGE, a huge accomplishment, and there are days that I, or others go to bed thinking "praise the stars I am AMAZING, I did it, another day sober down!" but there are other days that it feels like just work, trudging along and what is the point. We have to have a certain amount of faith that holding out, not drinking, putting in the work is going to be worth it in the long run. I do think you can do this, but you throw int he towel too soon.
You have to give it more of a chance. It is not easy but it really is possible.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You are not "terrible" but you are "terribly addicted" to alcohol. Take whatever help you can get and beat this addiction before it beats you.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I know you mean well, but charade?
I'm sorry, that was harsh. I'm very concerned by this thread and I went too hard with my choice of words. Denial is a better choice of word than charade. I hope you drop the denial and immediately return to rehab.

Peace.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Mike,

I wonder if you should explore with your friend any possible links between your drinking and your previous mental health issues.

Many have a dual diagnosis of mental health issues of one sort of another with an addiction to alcohol or something else, which makes it all more complicated. From your posts it seemed like your previous mental health issues were pretty major and that your addiction is pretty major, which makes it all the harder.

I recently read some great stuff by Peter Michaelson at his website "Why we Suffer" that addresses both issues in by far the most helpful way I have ever encountered. I would highly recommend looking at his stuff maybe with your friend. For me, it was life changing. Literally. Life changing.

You are clearly a smart man, and this stuff will appeal to your intelligence -- for me, I finally just got it, why i was self sabotaging and better yet how to fix it. Amazing.

Mike -- it is not easy. We know. But we are all worried about you. And your family is. And you are.

Figure out how to get some help that you will accept.

Loved Mera's post -- you have a lot of us really routing for you.

Good luck.