Notices

Blizzard on the East Coast

Old 01-22-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Wicket,
Stay safe and warm...I am also in the MD. The snow is really coming down now....I am glad I don't need booze tonight. This is true serenity!!!! Be safe and best wishes...
Old 01-22-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Be safe, BBQ.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
Watch out for the lizards, everyone!
I'm keeping my eyes peeled, Wicket.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You laugh - those Lizzards can wreak havoc.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
You laugh - those Lizzards can wreak havoc.
They sure can!!!!!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

It's funny, I posted the same thoughts on my monthly thread. I would booze shop first and grab food second. My FB feed is full of pictures of refrigerators stocked top to bottom with beer and wine and booze. I too feel sad to see this. I work at a grocery store not too far from Philly and my boss said that we will be open tomorrow and I should try to make it to work. I despise driving in the snow, mainly because so many others are so clueless. Talk about triggers to drink. I will be fine, and I hope everyone here stays safe and sober!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm in Virginia Beach and we are right on the edge of this system. Started with snow, real big flakes and then it switched to rain then back to snow and now the radar shows some heavy rain about to come over. That will probably melt any snow left as it looks clear on the roads already. It is above freezing so that should prevent any icy roads.

I am of the sort that did not bother with any excuse to drink. Heck if there was a blizzard I would probably drive out drunk in it to find a store if needed.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
Same here - I really hope the power doesn't go out! We used to have a generator, but sadly someone stole it out of our backyard during the summer. Now we'll have to resort to candles, flashlights, and LOTS of blankets.
Yeah, I'm worried about the power going out too since it will be in the mid-teens tonight and repairs wouldn't likely happen until Sunday at the earliest.

On the news, they said that local liquor stores were sold out.

Running errands this morning ahead of the storm was no fun. Long lines and heavy traffic everywhere.

But safe at home with everything we need, so nothing to do but read and relax until we dig out on Sunday.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Stay safe, GroundhogDay!!!!!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Snow lizzard...

Last edited by Aellyce; 06-13-2021 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
now's the time

Stargazer, I work at a grocery store too!

Spent the whole day listening to everyone at the store talk about stocking up on booze. I got kombucha and supplies to make cookies. Plus salad stuff to eat at some point to balance it all out.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Very cool, Aellyce; thanks.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Stay safe, GroundhogDay!!!!!
You too, SoberLeigh, and everyone else in the path of the blizzard. I'm trying to figure out if I should sleep in the basement tonight. I'm not sure I want to listen to the howling wind outside my bedroom in the wee hours.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I hear you,GroundhogDay. The sound of the wind can really be eerie. I heard there may be lightning and thunder, too. Oh boy!!!!!
Old 01-22-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I couldn't believe it the first time I heard thunder snow.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I know - so weird!!!!!
Old 01-22-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I relate to experiencing the sensory aspects of storms, never quite knowing what's safe and what's truly threatening... I've experienced this for a few years, not in winters but springs and summers, when I moved to the Midwest from Europe. The spring thunderstorms (most typically all night) I suddenly encountered in the Midwest seemed galactic to me, like nothing I had ever experienced or imagined, but they also held a strange fascination. That was also the time period for me when my drinking escalated steep, along with my general anxiety. Countless nights wide awake (from what I had only later recognized as alcohol withdrawal), holding onto my mattress, computer, hiding in my bathroom... I guess the storms back then reflected in many ways my internal "climate".

These winter storms now, for me, always seem kinda like a breeze compared to that past... I've had to completely re-learn how to deal with threatening situations and danger in a real way.

Still learning I guess
Old 01-22-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post
I relate to experiencing the sensory aspects of storms, never quite knowing what's safe and what's truly threatening... I've experienced this for a few years, not in winters but springs and summers, when I moved to the Midwest from Europe. The spring thunderstorms (most typically all night) I suddenly encountered in the Midwest seemed galactic to me, like nothing I had ever experienced or imagined, but they also held a strange fascination. That was also the time period for me when my drinking escalated steep, along with my general anxiety. Countless nights wide awake (from what I had only later recognized as alcohol withdrawal), holding onto my mattress, computer, hiding in my bathroom... I guess the storms back then reflected in many ways my internal "climate".

These winter storms now, for me, always seem kinda like a breeze compared to that past... I've had to completely re-learn how to deal with threatening situations and danger in a real way.

Still learning I guess
Beautifully said.

Storms like this make me feel both scared and alive. Kind of the opposite of the soul-killing grind of survival in the city.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
I despise driving in the snow, mainly because so many others are so clueless.
I hate it too. My boyfriend went out earlier (when it was only about an inch or two of snow on the ground) and I was anxious the whole time. Now he wants to go out and drive around the neighborhood just to "have fun" in the 5 inches we have right now. He has all-wheel drive on his Subaru, but I just don't get it. Stay safe going to work tomorrow!

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post

Still learning I guess
This is a great representation of what getting sober actually is. Learning how to truly cope with things in a healthy way, learning more about yourself, and moving forward.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Stay safe, Eastern friends!!

We don't need booze anymore for snow days...but stock up on bread & milk!