Notices

Blizzard on the East Coast

Old 01-22-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blizzard on the East Coast

Winter Storm Jonas is here, and all I've been seeing on Facebook all day are posts of everyone stocking up on beer and booze. But these people are not ALL alcoholics - some are the "normal" drinkers. Some of them very light drinkers, and only drink on special occasions. But for some reason, every one of them NEEDS to buy enough alcohol to drink through a blizzard - even if they wouldn't have drank anything this weekend if it wasn't snowing. Trust me, if you asked me 12 days ago, I'd be right there at the liquor store with them, only I would be buying a lot more than what they're "stocking up" with. I could have probably drank their whole weekend's worth of alcohol in a mere few hours.

But while I read all these posts, I surprised myself. I found myself just feeling sorry for them. Is snow really an excuse to get plastered? That's the only thing you can do indoors to "entertain" yourself? Why does everyone find alcohol more of a necessity than actual food and emergency supplies? And why is it necessary to post your purchase of alcohol on Facebook in the first place? What's more concerning is that a lot of these people are parents to very young children. They're going to get wasted around their kids all weekend, just because of fluffy white stuff falling from the sky.

In any case, I'm staying sober this weekend. By the time Monday comes around and the plows are clearing the roads, I'll be on Day 15 and loving it.

If there's anyone on here from the Mid-Atlantic region, stay safe and keep warm!
Old 01-22-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jonas has arrived here, too, Wicket.

Word has it that liquor store business is booming here, too. Sad.

Stay safe, Wicket. Along as the power stays on, I can deal.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay safe everyone

D
Old 01-22-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Same here - I really hope the power doesn't go out! We used to have a generator, but sadly someone stole it out of our backyard during the summer. Now we'll have to resort to candles, flashlights, and LOTS of blankets.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Living in Vermont a good snow storm was a perfect excuse to get loaded and oddly enough I was a little jittery the first few snowstorms. But now I love looking at the snow and I have fun driving around in the white stuff! Snow storms for me now equals "do I have enough ice cream and coffee?!"
Old 01-22-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I'm in Maryland too and left Baltimore around 3:30. Almost all of the restaurants and shops were closed, but the liquor stores seemed to all be open. Twelve days ago, I would have been behind you in line, Wicket. And I'm not lying, I felt a tug today, but it was just the old pattern. I'm carving myself a new groove, and it's gonna be alright.

I am worrying a bit for those closer to the shore - hopefully most of them have relocated to safer areas.

Snow shovel at the ready, chips in the cupboard to get me through and I have a closet that needs a thorough clean-out, so I think I can manage to keep myself out of trouble.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Wicket. For once, Upstate New York isn't getting blasted. My sister's in VA and they already have plenty on the ground - it's supposed to snow all day tomorrow.

I once would have loved this opportunity to drink all weekend. I can't believe I lived that way for so long.

I hope no one loses power too! I'll be thinking of you.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Maryland will get the worst of it. I'm in Delaware.

Stay safe, Marylanders.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stay safe and warm, all those in the path of the storm.

Oddly enough, NE Ohio is not getting any snow except maybe just flurries.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, least.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I remember years ago before I even entertained the idea of getting sober, a huge blizzard was predicted to move in the day after Christmas in the morning. I remember setting my alarm for 6:00 AM so I could get up in time to get to the store to get two things - a shovel and vodka. I didn't buy any food or other supplies. By the time I left the store, it was snowing like crazy and all I wanted to do was get home and get plastered. Fast forward to today and I just got back from the store stocked up on chicken, veggies, fruits and juice. And there isn't a blizzard coming to Indiana. Feels so good to be free of that mindset!
Old 01-22-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Obladi: in the beginning of the day I felt the urge too, but like you, it was out of habit and I quickly reminded myself that I'm not that person anymore. That's when the irritation from those posts went from somewhat jealous to pity for others and disgust. Luckily I was able to work from home today and didn't have to drive home in this mess (I work an hour away from home - I would have been stuck on 695 all night!). I live close to the bay, but far enough away from the Eastern Shore that I think (or at least I hope) I'll miss the worst of it. Oh - and thanks for reminding me that I also need to clean this weekend - lol!

Thank you everyone for the safe wishes.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I guess NE Ohio and Upstate New York gave ALL their snow to us haha, thanks guys!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I used to live in Ocean City, Wicket. I think they're worried about possible flooding. Glad you will hopefully miss the bad stuff.
Oh, and you're welcome....
Old 01-22-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I personally love winter and winter storms sober There is just something for me about the contrast between the external world (the storm) and the internal world (the warmth and safety of my home) that I love... in some ways, I guess my mind makes an analogy with the dichotomies that were present in my life all over during my drinking days but I was never safe then - so now feels good

Funny, it seems like storms on the East Coast tend to time themselves around my sober anniversary (Jan 25) -- last year I escaped it and spent it in Florida but remember the threads here and even though I was in Florida, I got into the atmosphere. This time I'm spending it in my home in NYC, snuggled up with my husband, yummy food, good books and movies, and our two young Siamese cats

This is a movie I like a lot that winter storms always bring back even though I've seen it many times already:

Stay warn everyone
Old 01-22-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Aellyce - not sure how I missed that one! I will order it from Netflix.

I guess the city is getting a considerable amount - in the Catskills we're not supposed to get any.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Blizzard warning...just a little levity from someone who lives in the area...

Old 01-22-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

That is a very apt sign for those of us who understand that addiction is all about the beast/lizard brain. Love it!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That's fabulous, suki. Thanks for that.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Watch out for the lizards, everyone!