Notices

Dealing with boredom (at 3 years)

Old 01-09-2016, 10:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Until I read the OP I didn't really think of it but in retrospect I can see that being drunk is the laziest possible way to live. All I needed was booze to be entertained. It literally didn't matter what else I had- I could watch paint dry and it was entertaining so long as I was drunk. No work is involved, no growth was required and I never had to challenge myself. Unlike some kinds of recreation where you always have to top the last one (a higher mountain, a faster bike, etc) booze was always there and the "thrill" never wore off. I took "the journey" every single night and it always went basically the same way.

So the short answer I guess is that you need to actively expand yourself and look for challenges. At least that's the way it has been for me. Sobriety makes laziness a lot more punitive.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

James, if possible join a local running group. It's more social than a gym and you will get to be around people who are mostly trying to look after themselves. Also, I would concentrate on 10k or less races, 5k is a fab way to start as you can get involved in Park run on Sat mornings, free and fun. You can even take the kids along. Focus on your result and just get better and better. Good luck with everything. Z
Old 01-10-2016, 12:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jamesdwyer View Post
As I wrote that and read your reply I know what the problem actually is, it's that I haven't got any mates. I got rid of ALL my friends when I quit drinking and so socially I actually only interact with people associated with my son (friends parents) or wife (friends partners). I've got zero interest in spending time in bars after work drinking Coke and watching my colleagues make fools of themselves and the thought of going on some kind of pathetic man date with some vague associate of my wife's where he awkwardly wonders if it is appropriate to drink and we have a stilted conversation about football fills me with abject horror.
Think about hobbies you have, or might like to have, or interests you want to pursue.

Team Sports? Music? Drama Groups? volunteer community groups?

There must be something

Great way to meet new people and you get to be James the non drinking guy right off the bat.

D
Old 01-10-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Until I read the OP I didn't really think of it but in retrospect I can see that being drunk is the laziest possible way to live. All I needed was booze to be entertained. It literally didn't matter what else I had- I could watch paint dry and it was entertaining so long as I was drunk. No work is involved, no growth was required and I never had to challenge myself. Unlike some kinds of recreation where you always have to top the last one (a higher mountain, a faster bike, etc) booze was always there and the "thrill" never wore off. I took "the journey" every single night and it always went basically the same way.

So the short answer I guess is that you need to actively expand yourself and look for challenges. At least that's the way it has been for me. Sobriety makes laziness a lot more punitive.
Great post, Sisyphus. I needed to be reminded of this to nip my selective memory in the bud.