Notices

Not so happy new year

Old 01-01-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not so happy new year

Please tell my it will get better? I relapsed on nye. It's the morning where I am right now, all i can think of is drinking to take the edge off. Please tell me it's going to be ok and I can make it through the day.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shantilove, you relapsed and you drank. That was NYE - the day before yesterday. Today is a brand new day. Today you do not have to drink. Today you choose to start making it better again. You know what sober feels like, how good it is, how empowering it is. Choose it again - choose it today. You can absolutely do it.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do this Shantilove!!

More alcohol isn't going to help, it will simply prolong getting off the drinking merry-go-round, at some point we have to say no more and draw a line in the sand.

It's tough in the beginning, but I assure you, the more Sobriety you clock up, the better things will get, tweak your plan and go at things again, SR is in your corner!!
Old 01-01-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You never have to feel like this again. Don't drink to take the edge off. Commit to being sober today. It will get easier. Keep on hanging in there! You can do it!
Old 01-01-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Shantilove, you can get past this and reclaim your life. The misery can end. Yes, things will get better - we promise. Never give up.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you are feeling badly, please get medical attention. Yes, it will get better, but you have to stop drinking. No "taking the edge off". That will just keep you addicted.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah I know. The anxiety will pass. It's either today or tomorrow or next week I can't hide from it I need to ride it out.
Thanks guys.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

you don't EVER have to drink again.........
Old 01-01-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've gotten sober before and you can again shantilove.

Look at what happened nye and why and tweak your recovery plan.

Do you need more support? do you need to better use the support you have? do you need to make more lifestyle changes?

you can do this - re-commit to recovery...ride the anxiety out - you'll feel better soon

D
Old 01-01-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

it's going to be ok Shanti & your going to make it through the day x
Old 01-01-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's the anxiety that makes me want to drink again. Does anyone take anti anxiet meds? Is it worth looking into?
Old 01-01-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That was yesterday and it can't be changed, what you have control of is right now, play the tape through is a phrase I use often as its but one tool that keeps me sober, what would happen if Andrew picks up that drink to take the edge off, been there, done that and I know the outcome. Remember also even with a hangover our sense of reasoning is out the window, I encourage you to fight it and tomorrow you will be glad you did and each day will get better and easier. Come up with a plan, for me it's critical, I need to know where I want my life to go, for me it's sobriety, I love myself, life, GF, adult children and close friends, to me that drink is not worth throwing those relationships under the bus, won't do it.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In my experience the anxiety gets better the longer away from my last drink I get.
Life seems much easier without the complication of alcohol caused emotional up/down.
Relax a bit, it gets easier. See a doc about wether anti-anx meds are for you.

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 01-01-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shantilove View Post
It's the anxiety that makes me want to drink again. Does anyone take anti anxiet meds? Is it worth looking into?
I did for a short period, talk to your doctor, walk in clinic etc. Be mindful of cross addiction as the anti anxiety meds can be and are addictive. I used Ativan to get me through the worst, now I take nothing, I go for a walk or use meditation, it works for me. Stopped Dec 12th.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm back to Day 1 after some moderate drinking last night. However I had a significant reduction in anxiety when I wasn't drinking. Even drinking last night only, nothing close to what I previously would consume, the anxiety is back. I know it's short term , abstinence killed anxiety for me after a few weeks. Guided meditation helped today.

You can do it! Best to check in with a physician though.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Shantilove! You are in a good spot here and try to forgive yourself for slipping up on NYE.

Good job on identifying ANXIETY as being a problem in your life. It's an icky feeling and I know there are certain behaviors I engage in when I feel anxious: Sometimes I get very talkative and fidget a lot. I get sweaty, my stomach feels like it's in knots. My hands might shake. Muscle tension. Rapid breathing. Not exactly enjoyable sensations-but could be worse. Most of my anxiety these days is due to stress and rather than seeking to ESCAPE, I have resolved to identify what is causing the stress and logically problem solve how to ease it.

I've had to work on impulse control and habits that I have tended to default to.

As far as meds for anxiety goes, some of the more common one''s are the benzo's such as Xanax, Ativan, Valium, but those are HIGHLY addictive. Someone I know recently put himself on a Klonipin taper and is now off of it. It was a long process
Old 01-01-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My anxiety pretty much disappeared without medication just
by stopping drinking.

It took several weeks, but faded and finally was just gone one day.
Don't drink today, and you'll be that much closer to peace.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Anxiety darn near disappeared within days of stopping. Focusing on recovery has helped me deal with the little bit that was left and actually part of me. I drank because I was anxious, but drinking and withdrawal made me exponentially more anxious.

Pretty inefficient way of dealing with things, eh? It's much much better now. Keep away from the booze and you will feel so much better.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Shantilove, you are not alone, also relapsed after a few months sober; I binged NYE. Today is the 2nd Jan where I am, and I feel 80% better than yesterday when hungover. I still feel ashamed and have a head-ache, feel a bit anxious, but am more able to put one foot in front of the other and carry on today. To my mind, our brains have been 'trained' to want alcohol by our over use of it and it is always going to be my weakness. I have to try harder. I became resentful and felt entitled to drink. I felt obliged to go to a NYE event even though I didn't really want to go. The reason I went is because I wanted to support my BF as he was hosting his own party at his flat. I wanted to be a good girlfriend. But I went and it started out OK but like always with alcohol, plummeted into embarrassment, sickness, shame and despair...
Next time I will apologise and simply not go along to some of these social things, because I am not strong enough, at the end of a busy year and in the heat to summer, to not drink in that environment. Shantilove I hope I have not hijacked your post but want to say ~ this is my first post - you won't drink today and neither will I. You can tick the calendar at the end of the day to record the fact you didn't drink and so will I.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I suffer terribly with anxiety and it's miserable, it's the worst feeling and you want to do anything to escape it. Just remember that alcohol is the cause and can't be the solution. It will pass! Just don't drink or it will be back soon enough and probably worse than before.

I know how you're feeling and I sympathise completely! You are not alone