Notices

Feeling lost, alone and quite frankly scared...

Old 12-29-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

If you are experiencing physical withdrawal symptoms, then I strongly urge you to seek medical attention to assist you in detoxing. I did a six day supervised detox in the hospital 3 1/2 years ago, and I would not be alive to type this if I hadn't. I didn't pay enough attention to your info, but are you on the states? If so, I know that supervised detox can be very expensive, but insurance plans cover a surprising amount of the costs. There is also the possibility that seeing your doctor will lead to you going home with a prescription to safely detox at home. Either way, physical withdrawal os nothing to take lightly. You really need to seek professional help with your detox.

I may be reading too much into this, but is your fear of withdrawal based on an experience that was much worse than the shakes and sweats and racing pulse? I know that I experienced hallucinations and seizures every time I tried to detox alone.

This website is a great resource for support, but your physical safety os the most important thing to look after right now.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Daniel!!
Old 12-30-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
now's the time

NJS, welcome.

I'm 32 and have always been in good physical shape aside from the alcohol; I quit for the first time when I was 29. Many times in between now and then so I consider myself a little bit of a withdrawal expert!

You will probably be fine doing it alone, but A) you don't know that for sure, B) you don't have to. It's awful. Not so awful that I'd tell you not to do it if you were a million miles from medical care and couldn't quit otherwise. But awful enough.

I medically detoxed for the first time (for my last time a little under six months ago. And I kind of felt like I'd spent years using leaches when there was penicillin available.

You're going to need your strength for the real stuff, which is staying sober. Don't use up all your energy in a pointless first round.

You're making the right decision.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Daniel nice to meet you
Old 12-30-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome Daniel. I'm only on day 4, so can't offer much advice on being sober. But I do wish you the best. If you're going to go it at home make sure your girlfriend knows and can keep an eye on you. I have not had withdrawal symptoms like you do (despite my heavy usage) so I can not attest to how hard it will be, but I can promise it will be worth it!
Old 12-30-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sobriety is an adventure.

Originally Posted by SweatyHands View Post
If you are experiencing physical withdrawal symptoms, then I strongly urge you to seek medical attention to assist you in detoxing. I did a six day supervised detox in the hospital 3 1/2 years ago, and I would not be alive to type this if I hadn't. I didn't pay enough attention to your info, but are you on the states? If so, I know that supervised detox can be very expensive, but insurance plans cover a surprising amount of the costs. There is also the possibility that seeing your doctor will lead to you going home with a prescription to safely detox at home. Either way, physical withdrawal os nothing to take lightly. You really need to seek professional help with your detox.

I may be reading too much into this, but is your fear of withdrawal based on an experience that was much worse than the shakes and sweats and racing pulse? I know that I experienced hallucinations and seizures every time I tried to detox alone.

This website is a great resource for support, but your physical safety os the most important thing to look after right now.
It's not that I fear the withdrawal symptoms, it's more that I don't know what to expect. I've experienced the sweating and shakes from previous attempts, but the racing pulse was new the last time.

From what I can gather from people on here I'm safe to do it at home if my girlfriend 'supervises' me, and the racing pulse (which is the worse of the three physical withdrawal symptoms I've experienced so far) should subside after about a week?

I plan to start my detox on the 1st of January, and hopefully it will be a permanent fixture in my new life.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Daniel,
My anxiety from alcohol withdrawal is created by my racing pulse and one thing I've found really helpful is sip lots of water. Your heart rate increases when you are dehydrated and daily alcohol intake will keep you constantly dehydrated. It can be that simple. It may be physical or psychological but hydrating helps reduce my anxiety levels. Just a thought. Good luck with your new start in life mate.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Daniel I hope you are going ok? And I hope you went to the dr and got a script to help with the home detox at least .... Let us know how you are doing?
Old 01-02-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome Daniel.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:49 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome you are not alone