Old 12-30-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
NewJourneyStart
Sobriety is an adventure.

Originally Posted by SweatyHands View Post
If you are experiencing physical withdrawal symptoms, then I strongly urge you to seek medical attention to assist you in detoxing. I did a six day supervised detox in the hospital 3 1/2 years ago, and I would not be alive to type this if I hadn't. I didn't pay enough attention to your info, but are you on the states? If so, I know that supervised detox can be very expensive, but insurance plans cover a surprising amount of the costs. There is also the possibility that seeing your doctor will lead to you going home with a prescription to safely detox at home. Either way, physical withdrawal os nothing to take lightly. You really need to seek professional help with your detox.

I may be reading too much into this, but is your fear of withdrawal based on an experience that was much worse than the shakes and sweats and racing pulse? I know that I experienced hallucinations and seizures every time I tried to detox alone.

This website is a great resource for support, but your physical safety os the most important thing to look after right now.
It's not that I fear the withdrawal symptoms, it's more that I don't know what to expect. I've experienced the sweating and shakes from previous attempts, but the racing pulse was new the last time.

From what I can gather from people on here I'm safe to do it at home if my girlfriend 'supervises' me, and the racing pulse (which is the worse of the three physical withdrawal symptoms I've experienced so far) should subside after about a week?

I plan to start my detox on the 1st of January, and hopefully it will be a permanent fixture in my new life.