Notices

The Girl with the Panther Tatoo - A Journal

Old 12-23-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Congratulations and good luck Vona! People on SR will be a great support network.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day four. If I hadn't relapsed, it would be day 23, but I suppose I shouldn't think that way.

Thank you, Dee, for the thread on making a plan. That will be my first step in my new plan on recovery.

If I am honest with myself, I've known for quite some time that I am an addict. In November, I went to my GP about depression and he put me on an antidepressant. Is my alcoholism a result of depression, or is my depression a result of alcoholism? I truly don't know the answer to this question.

My major struggle right now is seeing the disappointment in my husband. I feel overwhelmed with emotions. What is priority now with my recovery? My sobriety? My husband's stress and hurt over my alcoholism and actions? The depression? I am so confused.

Right now, my plan consists only of making a plan. I simply don't know what to do next. I've read the articles, but I am so overwhelmed, and that is indeed a dangerous place for an addict.

In any event, I do not want to be where I was a few days ago. Last night when I wanted a drink to calm my emotions, it was not difficult to remind myself of that fact.

Thanks to Soberwolf again for the thread on gratitude. I read the article late last night and am starting my daily gratitude list today.

Lots of love, friends.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job on day 4 Vona
Old 01-02-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
under new management

Good for you on day 4, Vona

In my experience, removing the alcohol was the first thing I needed to do; it cleared the way to start working on the rest of my problems, depression, alcoholic husband, etc.

I, too, wondered which came first, the alcohol or the depression. I was using alcohol to cope and to self medicate, for sure, but now that the alcohol haze is gone I am able to start looking at the rest of my problems with a clear head. They are still there but they are not as scary and overwhelming as they were when I drank. And I have glimmers of hope and experience that it gets better. It really does.

Take good care of yourself, Vona

Old 01-02-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

congratulations and well done for day four, and for your honesty.

Im needing food in the house, but im a little bit scared to leave in case I get the compulsion to at the last minute buy booze. Currently there is non in my house and I feel safe for that - hungry but safe.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day 4 is fantastic Vona!! Keep it going!!
Old 01-02-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Way to go Vona!! I'm on day 5, so we are almost sober twins

In these early days, best to keep things simple. One day at a time, just focus on not drinking.

Easier said than done I know, but try not to think abut your situation with your hubby. Just not drinking is enough for now.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lisatryingagain View Post
congratulations and well done for day four, and for your honesty.

Im needing food in the house, but im a little bit scared to leave in case I get the compulsion to at the last minute buy booze. Currently there is non in my house and I feel safe for that - hungry but safe.
You could always order in .
Old 01-02-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I think I know that making sobriety first is the right thing to do. My hope is the other matters will be easier to deal and cope with once I've got some days behind me; some strength. My anxiety is pretty damn high right now, but I'm so bloody tired of self-effin-pity. So very tired of it.

How does one concentrate on getting better, but not get too absorbed in the pity-party? Do I have it all wrong?
Old 01-02-2016, 11:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Vona, you have been through a lot recently, I can only suggest the "riding it out" method because I know you wont feel like this all the time.
Get a bit of sober time up and see
In the meantime, try and be kind to yourself, have a look at your gratitude list, eat some good food (or junk if you like ) and remember it gets better!
Hang in there
Old 01-03-2016, 01:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Vona! Glad you're making some progress. You don't mention much about socializing and seeking companionship with other recovering alcoholics, particularly those who have some sobriety time. That sure helped me way back when I was where you are right now. But you are posting on SR! I wish I had had that advantage way back! That's real power coming to you from all over the world. Awesome, as the kids say. You're in a very vulnerable situation right now and it's evident that your AV is jerking you around. That will lessen but it takes time. Being depressed comes with the territory and the doctors can help with that. Most antidepressants are non addictive. But they need a little time to work. It helps to focus not on "giving up" alcohol (although let's not kid ourselves that's what it sure feels like!). It's getting something, or giving something back to yourself, getting sobriety and freeing yourself from chemical slavery which was bent on destroying you. If it's slavery, as it surely is, then it makes little sense to say, "I'm giving up my chains!" And you're doing it for yourself. Sure others benefit in the long run but it only works if you do it for yourself, not using others as a "control". Doing it for "others" is just dependency all over again.
So good luck and all the best. Hang in there! The road gets less bumpy, less steep as you go along. The sun begins to come out, the clouds lessen.

W.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

So, this is the morning of my departure to treatment. Feeling good about that, but not feeling good about other matters. For instance:

A while ago, say two weeks, I offered to my H. that he could look at my online banking if he wanted. He didn't, but last night after a long talk about us moving forward, putting out past where it belongs and making a better future, with regained trust, he decides that he wants to fine-tooth-comb my bank statements for about the last year.

I was so disappointed. So disappointed isn't a fair representation actually. I freaked out. After all his talk about trusting and moving forward. Needless to say, it wasn't a pleasant evening. I said some things that were harsh. I feel now like my response was completely improper, but yet still not so sure.

I know it's irrelevant what he saw, but of course, there was nothing noteworthy. I begged him to try to understand what I'm dealing with, encouraging him not only to seek help, but to read the forums like this of alcoholics. He didn't.

This post is NOT a woe is me, I'm so innocent, rant. I know what he's going through. I empathize. Still hurts though.

Nonetheless, I am going to treatment and getting the help needed to stay sober. Whether he stays or leaves, my path, my goals, are firm. One does not almost die in a ditch and not wake up and realize this is real. So...keep it real friends. Live, love, be kind to yourself and others, help, and receive help, and STAY SOBER!

Hugs to you all. Thank you so much for being there, former and for everyone. It isn't this forum that keeps us alive, but each and every one of you.

Now, off I go to the airport soon. Later alligators. (Insert cheesy smiley here).
Old 01-24-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Wishing You Well In Treatment!

Just wishing you good travels on your way to treatment! Work hard at it to pull out of it every single nugget you can! I can't wait to hear how it goes for you. Surely it will give you a base from which you can work.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes Vona - we'll all be with you in spirit

D