Notices

Let's share our suggestions on how to deal with anger

Old 12-16-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Learning to deal with anger, or any emotion, is not easy, or quick. In the beginning, I had to come up with a short-term solution.

It's okay to be angry.
It's not okay to drink over it.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behan View Post
If our rules are broken and we do not react, I think we are suppressing our anger. Where does it go? This can be a big trigger for substance misuse as we take the anger out on ourselves.
Suppressed anger is also a cause of depression which, like you say about substance abuse, is also a form of aggression against ourselves
Old 12-16-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread- a lot of good ideas here.

I use yoga too and (as Yogini), get Yoga Journal for good ideas. Yin yoga with guided meditation seems to work best for me.

Been thinking of new approaches to deal with 'negative' emotions. Seems as if life is a series of Lessons in Humility. And that's a good thing-- if I let it be.

An SR friend has the signature "Look back but don't stare". I love this. When faced with a situation that's not good, or I can do nothing about (past or present), I try to picture some 'scene' on the road. There's someone waving me by- "Nothing to see here, Toki. Nothing at all. Just move along now..."
Old 12-16-2015, 10:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I like this one a lot from Tokidoki:

An SR friend has the signature "Look back but don't stare". I love this. When faced with a situation that's not good, or I can do nothing about (past or present), I try to picture some 'scene' on the road. There's someone waving me by- "Nothing to see here, Toki. Nothing at all. Just move along now..."

That's exactly the kind of attitude I need. Just walk on by and keep my mind focussed on more interesting things.

One or two things I don't understand in other people's posts.

1. What are the "four agreements"?
2. What is "the resentment prayer from the stories"? Is that some AA thing I've missed?

I do notice that my hangover gets smaller the more I work my AA programme.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

The Four Agreements come from a book of the same name by Don Miguel Ruiz

This is a brief synopsis

the four agreements, don miguel ruiz book - a code for life and personal development

I'm not sure how or when it came into recovery thinking tho

The resentment prayer, and some context, is here:

Step Four Prayer - Freedom from Resentment - Step 4 of the 12 Steps of Recovery

D
Old 12-17-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I had severe anger/temper issues. I was the type that stayed quiet until I blew, and then all bets were off. I started taking medication for it right after I got married. I was hesitant because I was in denial. In hindsight it saved my marriage and possibly my life. Good topic.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am not a fan of suppressing or misdirecting anger at this point of my life. Those strategies caused me enough problems; among others I believe that holding anger back to the point of not even allowing myself to become conscious of it had contributed to my many obsessional and addictive tendencies earlier in life.

I would say it depends on the type and extent of the anger. What works best for me is finding a harmless outlet for it. Artistic expression, exercise, or using it as a source of energy and motivation to get something done or implement changes. I also find it very meaningful and helpful to have people with whom we know each-other's motives and trust each-other well enough to express these kinds of feelings in a straightforward way either just in the form of venting or actual conflicts that we resolve in a direct and civil way. I also sometimes find that anger channeled in a productive way can be an effective antidote to anxiety.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I try to remind myself that:

-anger cannot be justified.
-pausing, before reacting, is a good thing to do.
-I usually end up hurting someone if I get angry.
-anger/resentment is the worst thing for addictive people.
-"this too shall pass"
-whatever it is I'm angry about, it's not personal.
-getting angry is going to make the situation worse.

Easier said than done, but I'm working on it....
Old 12-17-2015, 11:16 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks for all this helpful stuff. I had a situation which made me angry yesterday. I was in the gym, working out on the rowing machine. Right in front of me on the other side of the glass were two people smoking. They were only a few feet away from the fitness centre and although they could see us through the glass, it is like we were invisible to them.

I really felt like going outside and telling them how irresponsible they were to smoke there. But I didn't . I just waited a minute then carried on with my workout.

A few hours later I was in AA and I was hearing in the chair some pretty bad things that person had done when he was drinking. I had done similar things.

So that helped me balance the anger I have for other addicts with pity.

It's probably not the emotion I am aiming for but it's where I'm at now.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

"It's probably not the emotion I am aiming for but it's where I'm at now."

I loved this statement. When I ignore the feelings, they gain momentum inside me. When I am alright with where I am, I work out my issue and try to adjust my focus.

Being connected here helps me feel less crazy. Thanks for working through this, so I can more open-mindedly work through mine...
Old 12-19-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff EP