Notices

2 weeks tomorrow and on the edge. :(

Old 12-18-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 weeks tomorrow and on the edge. :(

Hi all, I've been reading a lot, just not posting much..
I think I've been trying to stay quit for 10 years now.

I'm 2 weeks sober tomorrow and I had massive cravings today, fought them, but most times when that happens the craving is stronger the next day so... I'm afraid of tomorrow.

It feels like another entity takes over my body, I just don't understand it. I don't want to drink, so how can I just suddenly change my mind??
I've been running crazy for weeks preparing for Christmas so I am tired, I've been dieting trying to lose weight so I'm always hungry, lol, but I have to say I still feel better than I have in a while. I was only drinking twice a week but it kicks my butt at this age.

Saturdays were always my drinking day. I think I will be on here as much as I can, I am going to be so upset with myself if I blow it again.
Happy sober weekend everybody.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Friday nights are really tough in early sobriety. Eat something. That always curbed cravings for me early on. Stay focused on the thought of waking up tomorrow morning feeling wonderful. You won't regret it. I've never known anyone to wake up and say "I wish I would have drank last night!"
Old 12-18-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Soberween, I baked cookies, blew my diet but eating does help. Fridays are a tough day, Saturdays too.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is the saying not to get too tired or too hungry. You're breaking both those rules. Ease up, give your self a break for a month: eat a little more and take some breaks. You'll come out ahead: you'll save all those calories in alcohol and you'll be a little better rested to tackle the tasks at hand.
Two weeks is great! Keep moving forward.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I wish you well and as has been said eat something and drink something you like other than booze obviously. Tonight I made brownies I am going on week two after a slip up, I don't want to ever head back down that ugly path again.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

congrats on 2 weeks

It is difficult early on,especially at weekends and at this time of year. But you can do it - you ARE doing it

Urge surfing worked really well for me. the cravings DO pass - you don't have to give in to them to make them pass. I think Dee has a thread on it. You're doing great

Urge Surfing – Relapse Prevention – Mindfulness
Old 12-19-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 weeks.

I managed to last a month going alone and white-knuckling it. Then I realised I needed more support and started going to AA meetings. It made a big difference for me.

Cravings are just that. They can't hurt you. It's not a matter of 'fighting' them. It's a matter of 'acceptance'. Accept that they are there. Accept that they are uncomfortable. And remind yourself that they will pass. Try to remember to breathe while they're happening. Close your eyes and spend some time focussing in on your sensory experiences in that moment. What can you hear; smell; feel? Open your eyes and focus on what you can see (maybe even like a kids game - go through the alphabet and spot something beginning with A, with B, with C, etc.
This will help you get back in the moment and almost act like a mental 'restart' (if it works for that darn photocopier, it can work for me ).

Try to stay conscious of avoiding the HALT triggers. Hunger; Anger; Loneliness; and getting too Tired. Have you devised a sobriety plan yet? If not, now could be a good time to do that.

Keep going x
Old 12-19-2015, 02:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 2 weeks stick close to SR over the weekend have you joined the weekender thread
Old 12-19-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Goiod morning all, I never really have a sober plan, just not drink, and I white knuckle often. I guess that's why I keep failing. I did last 2 months one time, just using will power.

I have social anxiety to the extremes so I don't feel AA would work for me. Even when I was seeing a therapist I drank before I went (was driven there) because I can't get a word out otherwise.
I never tell anybody I'm quitting either because I always feel ashamed of this addiction. Nobody knows alcohol is a problem for me, except my husband and most times I mention it he looks at me like I have 3 eyes (he drinks once a year).

I realize I have to make it a way of life, but it's hard not to feel sad about it, drinking did allow me to be more social, and those first few drinks always felt good. It's so brief though, and the payback just isn't worth it anymore.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

[QUOTE=jessie65;5696648
It feels like another entity takes over my body, I just don't understand it. I don't want to drink, so how can I just suddenly change my mind??
[/QUOTE]

I relate to this 100%....I have always said I have 2 personalities....Me and the drunk. Me is sensible and responsible and DESPERATELY wants sobriety.....is DESPERATELY dedicated to sobriety.....then, all the sudden I pick up a drink. HOW....WHY!? (30 yrs of this craziness)

Turns out I don't have 2 personalities.....that 'other' personality is my addiction....(I've been reading about AVRT and it has described me perfectly...it may help you too)

I am once again trying to get sober and not let my addiction pick up a drink. I am on day 7 and been crying for the last 2 days....crying from exhaustion and frustration...which is crazy because before that I had 2 days of bliss.....but it's all expected....it's all better than being hungover and hating myself.....whatever it takes (again).

Hang in there....that's what I'm doing.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Come join us on the weekender thread

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-dec-18-a.html