Notices

Day Zero

Old 02-29-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by John3634 View Post
I'm checking back in with you guys after being gone for a few months. Thanks for everyone's kind and helpful words.

There is no change in the situation I described in my first post. I had a physical last month in which the doctor wanted me to come back in to discuss elevated liver levels (AST 36 and ALT 58). I've not made the appointment yet. I'm not prepared to hear what she has to say. I know what she will say. I didn't tell my wife either. I might tell her tonight and make the appointment.

I don't really know what those numbers mean except that they are *just* outside of the boundary.

Wish me luck.
I'll certainly wish you luck, but I don't think it's luck you need John - you need a plan.

This is a great link - could be the best 15 mins you ever spend.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 02-29-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi John,
I have a similar issue with my wife, fortunately she knows she needs to quit also.
I'm going to try and lead by example.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The link that Dee attached is a very good one, John. Formulating a plan for sobriety and recovery is so important.

I hope that the support you find here can help you achieve lasting sobriety and recovery.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

John, I hope you'll stay with us. I know your heart's not in it (yet) but courage and strength can be gained by reading/posting here. We all understand how you're feeling. You can have a better life - never give up on your ability to change.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

John, please don't underestimate the progressive nature alcoholism.

The results of long term alcohol abuse is a guarantee. The time may vary from person to person but none of us are exempt.

Physical deterioration followed by mental impairment and ultimately a premature death.

Since alcoholism is progressive, your drinking habits won't improve, they won't even stay the same. They will get worse. Your physical need for alcohol will gradually speak so loud that no act of will can overcome it. Life will become an unending quest for the normalizing lift that alcohol provides, even though it will be destroying your health and sanity. Please remember that most alcoholics do not recover. They die prematurely from alcohol-induced diseases.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

When I was drinking, I drank very often with my next door neighbor. For years, one of my excuses for not quitting was that I couldn't possibly stop with my drinking buddy right next door? Well I quit and I still have a friend/neighbor next door and guess what. He drinks way less now without my bad influence.