incorporating a program of recovery
in all my affairs.

Incorperating a recovery program to
ones life is a wonderful, awesome gift
and effective treatment for a treatable
disease, illness and addiction .
Old 12-12-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I know I need to go dump it. But I cant. I don't even wanna go look at it. I wish I wouldn't have even brought it home. I just got so down today I felt like I had to have it.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Give it to a non alcoholic friend or neighbor as a holiday gift. Soon!
Old 12-12-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Maybe a friend would be delighted to come by your house and take off your hands?
Old 12-12-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vendetta View Post
I know I need to go dump it. But I cant. I don't even wanna go look at it. I wish I wouldn't have even brought it home. I just got so down today I felt like I had to have it.
Maybe you can return it to the store tomorrow and get your money back? Most stores will take it back if not opened.......

Stay out of the garage tonight & return in the morning when you are stronger!
Old 12-12-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Upwardspiral View Post
Maybe a friend would be delighted to come by your house and take off your hands?
That's an excellent idea.
Do you have any non alcoholic friends you could invite over for pizza or to watch a movie and then just give him/her the alcohol when they leave?
Even better if someone who knows you quit?
Having someone you could talk to about today's and your trouble in person would probably also help you a lot.
I would also suggest that you look into your recovery plan and see where you can tighten up things up or if you need to add something (whether it is face to face support or meditation or whatever else) because this is an awfully close call.
Good going on reaching out to us btw
Old 12-12-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It's soo hard. I want it bad. Ive been under so much stress. They are offering all these job opportunities to me at work to make alot more money, but I would have to move away. My parents are at the age where they need me to do more and more. I've had to stop hanging out with all my friends cause we worked hard and played hard and it always starts in a bar. I've been going to church and my values have changed. All of a sudden I want to settle down and have a family. I've realized I can't drink alcohol anymore and be healthy. Its like my world has changed and i have to relearn everything. I dont know how to live this new life. Now I'm at home all the time and I know if I just give in and grab that bottle the feelings of depression and being lost will go away. At least for awhile. And that sounds better then being this miserable.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know if I just give in and grab that bottle the feelings of depression and being lost will go away.
Re-read your old posts Vendetta - thats not what happens with you at all.

Putting the bottle in the garage or waiting for friends to drop by is just a sneaky way for your addiction to keep that bottle in play.

Pour it out, Vendetta.

D
Old 12-12-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I know I need to go dump it. But I cant.
Yes, you can.

The problem with having it in your proximity is that you know it's there and that leads to thinking about it. Read all of the posts people have made with wisdom to support you.

Don't you think they're on to something here, Vendetta?
Old 12-12-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

This voice keeps telling me go ahead. You will at least feel better for a little while.

It still amazes me the power that a bottle of liquid can have over me.
I feel that way about pot. Sometimes that is all you can think about is finding the money to pay for the pot, waiting for them to bring it to you, and then smoking it. We have to remember that it is our choice of drug talking to us. It is not us.

We are here, so deep down there is a big part of us that wants to quit and become clean and sober.

This is day two for me too, and we did the right thing in coming here to vent our feelings and reading the post of encouragement of people who have overcome their addictions. You and I can be in that wonderful place a couple of years from now, of helping newcomers the way we are being helped now in our early days of coming off.

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Getting good opportunities at work, wanting to settle down and have a family, being concerned about your parents aging instead of where the next party is at it's all part of growing up and some of the blessings of sobriety.
It sure beats being sick in your own puke and worrying that you might have said something and lost your job or that you are too hangover to go help your dad clean his gutters.
I post the daily readings on a small forum as a service and here is an extract from today's NA reading: Just for Today. Maybe it will help you a bit.

Life is a series of changes, both large and small. Although we may know and accept this fact intellectually, chances are that our initial emotional reaction to change is fear. For some reason, we assume that each and every change is going to hurt, causing us to be miserable.

If we look back on the changes that have happened in our lives, we'll find that most of them have been for the best. We were probably very frightened at the prospect of life without drugs, yet it's the best thing that's ever happened to us. Perhaps we've lost a job that we thought we'd die without, but later on we found greater challenge and personal fulfillment in a new career. As we venture forth in our recovery, we're likely to experience more changes. We will outgrow old situations and become ready for new ones.

With all sorts of changes taking place, it's only natural to grab hold of something, anything familiar and try to hold on. Solace can be found in a Power greater than ourselves. The more we allow changes to happen at the direction of our Higher Power, the more we'll trust that those changes are for the best. Faith will replace fear, and we'll know in our hearts that all will be well.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I hope you made it through Vendetta!! SR is in your corner!!
Old 12-12-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
EndGame

I know I need to go dump it. But I cant. I don't even wanna go look at it.
That's because you want to drink it. It seems that you've been obsessing over it, even before you bought it. At this point, it also seems almost certain that if you don't dump it, you will drink it.

I wish I wouldn't have even brought it home.
Then throw it out.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

We're all cheering for you, and learning from you
Old 12-12-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I failed I went out in the garage and drank it. It feels awesome. It's like it all went away.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
EndGame

I failed I went out in the garage and drank it. It feels awesome. It's like it all went away.
And therein lies the problem. You're in love with a fantasy. Nothing "went away," and "awesome" will quickly turn to something very different.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

The only power it has is the power you give it. If it makes you feel better smash it the on the garage floor. Then who has the power. I guess that's dangerous advice but you get the point.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

As long as you keep falling for that lie (and it is a lie) you're going to be spinning your wheels, I'm afraid Vendetta.

Nothing ever 'went away' for me - the best I could hope for was to push stuff to the side - and even that stopped working for me eventually.

Have you thought anymore about counselling or at least finding more support than SR?

D
Old 12-12-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

You seem to have put a somewhat comedic tone in your thread title and posts but there's nothing funny at all about you drinking that bottle. Go ahead and make jokes if it helps you cope but this is life & death. Hopefully you've now realized what happens when you bring alcohol into your house and take steps to avoid that next time! Because we all want you to stick around. We're all in this fight together
Old 12-13-2015, 01:59 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi vendetta

There is so much support on this thread for you and it's a shame you ended up drinking.

Alcohol was a temporary solution for me...very temporary...before I sobered up and had even more stuff to deal with because it meant the next day I was hungover and back on day one.

I hope you can get some sleep and in the morning it might be an idea to check the house and give away any other alcohol.