Notices

No clutter Wee-kender December 11th

Old 12-14-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 581 (permalink)  

One hour of reading, and then it's bedtime. Six o'clock comes early. G'night gang.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 582 (permalink)  

A fine and Snowy Evening here. ~2" on the Ground, and it sounds like what we call 'Corn Snow' is now hitting the Man Shed Roof. Little BB Pellets of Snow blasting out of a passing Squall.

The big excitement this Morning was a big Deer Herd wandering close to the House. The Pooch was pretty taken by what we call his 'Girlfriends' ~10' away. When we say that word, he scrambles to the nearest Window on the Concrete Floor, like some Cartoon Dog. Feetz a flyin'.

Went to 2 Auto Body Shops today to assess repairing my encounter with a Guard Rail last week. Just under $2k from the Shop I'll go with. They Direct Bill my Insurance Company, and are on their 'Approved List'. Makes it easy. A very Pro shop...

Went on down to the Social Security Office, and got signed up to get my own Money back Monthly. The first Month of that new Income would almost cover the Truck Repair were Insurance not involved [it is]. A Financial wash... Turns out there was some typo within the 'System' whereby some Youngster's info was 'confused' with mine. That got straightened out, but explained why I couldn't just sign up on-line for Social Security in repeated, Head-banging attempts recently.

Adele Live from NYC is on tonight at 10 PM Eastern Time on NBC, so we'll be tuning in for that >1 Hour from now.

I've never written out my Recovery Story. Don't know that I ever will. Been there. Drank that. Got the Tee Shirt... In my Mind, that Exercise needs to be a Net Positive. That said, I'm all for whatever helps.

I hope things are going a lil better now, Marty. It took me until today to ease out of my funk from being stuck with Drinkers last Saturday Night in an unexpected blind-side at Dinner. I get pissed at The World like the next Person. Ultimately, I alone have to find some way forward. I'm planning my escape next month to my own lil Cabin that happens to be on 4 Wheels: my new Trailer. On the Colorado River. In Arizona and/or Nevada. Where no one can eff over my Sobriety. Just planning that escape is no small part of what improved my Mood today. Rinse & Repeat...

Old 12-14-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 583 (permalink)  

Hey, SP. My .02 on writing your story:

As writers, even we occasionally operate under the assumption that if inspired, the words will flow seamlessly from our brains to our fingertips. As writers, we know that isn't always the case. Inspiration is only part of the equation.

Then we have to ask ourselves: Is writing about our experience an act of self-enrichment? Is it a transitional moment when we put a stake in the ground and say "this is how it used to be -- and this is how it is now"? Does it affirm our freedom from addiction?

Or, is it an intensely personal narrative, one closely guarded not so much to maintain secrecy but to establish our own boundaries? Is revisiting our own story by virtue of writing it a return to a place so dark, as you described, that it raises the prospect of being re-engulfed by shame rather than freed or enriched by the exercise?

Those are the questions I suspect you're asking yourself. Only you know the answers and if they don't come to you quickly, be patient with yourself. It's not an essay test.

I've asked myself the same questions. My experiences as an alcoholic are nothing I'll ever escape, regardless of my recovery.

There have been times I've talked about what brought me here, but they tend to be few and far between. And in generalities. Someone on the newcomers forum raised the "how much did you drink?" question that is posed from time to time. I gave my regular answer: "Too much, too often."

It's not that I want to whitewash my past. I'm pretty damn stuck with it. But even in other parts of my life, I tend not to revisit earlier chapters. I don't really go to places where I once lived. I've not stayed in touch with former boyfriends. I stay in touch with some former co-workers, but am not one to go back much. It's not that I am embittered by my past, nor non-nostalgic.

It's more that I have only so much energy for my world. I'd rather commit it to the present. I know where I've been. But this is where I am now.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 584 (permalink)  

Mesa, glad to hear you've got some adventurous plans in the works. Nothing beats a sober-solo-cation out yonder. You are living the good life, buddy. And so is the pooch, apparently. Dog heaven.

No corn snow here. In fact it's been rather balmy - 80 degrees the other day, spring is in full swing here already. This coming Saturday the ladyfriend and I take the show on the road to Costa Rica, looking forward to some beach time.

Some great feedback going on here, SP. Both Mesa and Venecia seem to have very good points. Venecia's post, in fact, is one of the most well thought-out posts on the subject I've ever read!

If telling your story gives you purpose, and it's a kick-starter and a motivational tool, then go nuts. Allow it to fuel a goal or a dream. But don't let that story swallow you whole and become part of your identity. I really struggled with that the first year or two and had some major depression and anxiety.

It's helped me to put that box on the shelf now. But I might not be where I am today if I hadn't looked inside and poked around a few times.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 585 (permalink)  

Thanks, Big S. You also raised good points, friend.

Thanks, Mesa. You got to the point much quicker than I!

And extra thanks to Mesa for letting us know about Adele. I've got it on right now. My heavens, the girl is soooooo talented. Love her! And charming.

For the life of me, I'll never understand why some of the younger female singers who are "hot" these days got so popular. Cannot see the attraction in Taylor Swift at all. Their tinny voices and teeny-bopper songs don't hold a candle to Adele.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 586 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning, guys.

Having coffee. About to rush around and start off for work.

Mesa - Thanks for the tip about movie. Never heard about this.

SP - I am with Venecia about writing your story. Actually, thank you for bringing up this topic - I am struggling with writing mine too.

Feel extremely stuck in life and burnt out - did I say that already? I think I did.

Ok, see you later.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:09 PM
  # 587 (permalink)  

Good night, all. I'm heading for bed. Went to yoga and feel pretty good. Nice to get back to doing something.

Mesa, I liked Waking Ned Devine a lot. Thanks for reminding me of a funny movie.

Tetra, good luck on getting second interview.

My dryer stopped working last night but mother in law is extending her stay and she called the repair people. It was a belt on the motor. It's fixed and they recovered about ten dollars in coins from the thing that got inside somehow.

Watching First 48 but time to wrap up for the night. Have a good day, MB!
Old 12-14-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 588 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone,

Really thought the thread would have flipped by now. Love the intense cat TooShabby

It is still ridiculously mild here considering that in less than a day it will be late December
Old 12-14-2015, 11:01 PM
  # 589 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things are a bit busy right now - we'll get there in the end though

part 2 is here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

D