Notices

Soberpotamus's Oral Surgery Recovery Support & Journal

Old 12-02-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Soberpotamus's Oral Surgery Recovery Support & Journal

It's about that time ... The Potamus will be undergoing oral surgery on January 12th around 7am CST. Yikes!

I'm creating this support thread and journal to document my thoughts, feelings, and progress leading up to and following this surgery,and to receive support from my SR friends! It's mainly for the support because hippos are chickens when it comes to doctors and procedures. I am even scared of needles.

Truth be told, I'm fairly brave and a bit of a risk-taker, or I wouldn't have elected for the surgery. Now that it's time, though, I'm feeling the reality of it all, and getting cold feet, so here I am, asking for your reassurances, and good wishes

I will be having orthognathic surgery to increase the length of my lower jaw approximately 4mm (that's millimeters), which is pretty tiny However, it will make quite a difference to my facial features and anatomy; and functionally, the braces I've been wearing for two and a half years (got them the month I got sober in April '13), have already corrected my TMJ ( temporomandibular joint), about which I am thrilled and very grateful!! It's been a long-standing (lifelong) malady and irritation that I've been highly motivated to correct. As a teen, I wore braces, which, in effect, camouflaged the real structural problem of my jaw misalignment, and so this surgery is going to actually solve the problem. Yay!

It's been a long time coming, in other words. And I'm pretty happy the end is in sight.

So, join me on the end of this journey, if you will, and I'll be grateful to receive any support you send my way
Old 12-02-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hey, Potamus!

I am all here for support! Sounds like even though it's scary because it's a surgery after all, it will do you lots of good in the long run. So, focus on today and think about the best!

Hugs.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow, Soberpotamus, this sounds exciting! I can tell you really want to do this and I'm sure it will have a positive effect on your life. You are very brave!

I'm assuming you will be completely anesthetized for the surgery? Do you know how long of a recovery period to expect and how painful it will be?

You go girl! I'm proud of you for taking this on.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Hey, Potamus!

I am all here for support! Sounds like even though it's scary because it's a surgery after all, it will do you lots of good in the long run. So, focus on today and think about the best!

Hugs.
Thanks, MidnightBlue Glad to have your support!
Old 12-02-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go SP were with you all the way hun xx I hope you still share recipes

Well happy for you
Old 12-02-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm assuming you will be completely anesthetized for the surgery? Do you know how long of a recovery period to expect and how painful it will be?

You go girl! I'm proud of you for taking this on.
Thanks, Anna

I will be completely anesthetized, and in the hospital, yep. Major surgery, apparently.

Months of recovery, Anna. It's not a happy thought, but that's the reality of it. It's only my lower jaw though, not the upper. I don't think I'll be wired shut, but I do think I'll be banded shut somehow. He's going to tell me all the details on January 5th.

This is something I've wanted for quite some time, so, yeah, pretty exciting

Thanks so much for your support!
Old 12-02-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Way to go SP were with you all the way hun xx I hope you still share recipes
Thanks, Soberwolf! Ha! Yeah, I will need liquid food recipes for a while! Smoothies, mashed potatoes, soups. We have a powerful blender, so it will get some good use.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In the coming days and weeks, I'll probably be sharing some thoughts and feelings about my fears of going under anesthesia. It is particularly relevant to my sobriety and recovery, and I'll explain why in the coming posts.

I've had surgery once before, in my early 20's, so I know I do ok with anesthesia, and that's a relief. That particular surgery was emergency abdominal surgery, and it was quite traumatic in ways. Those kinds of things stay with you. I am sure my body has stored trauma. Some of that was released, oddly enough, during vocal (singing) lessons by a teacher who practiced a form of myofascial release on my body.

There's also trauma for me surrounding my mom's hospitalization and subsequent death following a drug overdose.

My life is amazingly abundant and fulfilling after 2.5 years of sobriety. I love life in ways now that I never could before as a drinker. Life is precious to me at times. I don't want to have it shortened, but I know I take that risk now in this elective surgery, though it's a tiny risk, as this is a commonly performed and safe surgery. But there are those fears in the back of my mind, and I hope to talk through them in this thread.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Oh, liquid food recipes - during months I had been suffering with my dental issues and constantly bleeding gums I learnt a bit about this. I'll gather my favs for you.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hey potamus!

You've got my support and anything else you need....a listening ear or a shoulder to lean on! Such an exciting and scary time for you with, what I can only imagine, are a whirlwind of emotions. We're here for you as you process all of it! So glad to be part of your journey!
Xo
Old 12-02-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, yes, major surgery indeed!!!!!

You are definitely a courageous woman. I know a woman who had that surgery and the positive changes were dramatic both in appearance and in functionality.

The 'relative' short term recovery (and the months are not, in any way, minor) is far outweighed by the lifetime of benefits.

We are with you, Soberpotamus, every step of the way.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Soberpotamus!! It is evident over the past year+ that I have been here that you are extremely courageous. I am really excited for this phase of your life.

I have undergone a few surgeries some major, some minor. One of my 'favorite' experiences was an ethmoidectomy, antrostomy, and bilateral sinus surgery where they went in and removed bones and tissue up my nose.

It was my favorite primarily because I really liked the docs and the team in general. The anesthesiologist met with me beforehand and explained everything and his rationale. Then in the operating room allowed me to choose the music! They all started dancing and laughing, made small talk and then we were all ready to start surgery. Myself included.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us!!
Old 12-02-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow, I think it's fantastic that you are doing this. You are very brave indeed. But it sounds like it will be so worth it in the long run. Modern medicine is amazing these days and I'm sure that you have nothing to worry about. Although. ..I would be very scared and anxious about it. So this thread is a great idea. You know you have support here, soberpotamus.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verte View Post
It was my favorite primarily because I really liked the docs and the team in general. The anesthesiologist met with me beforehand and explained everything and his rationale. Then in the operating room allowed me to choose the music! They all started dancing and laughing, made small talk and then we were all ready to start surgery. Myself included.
Verte, what a great idea! The music! I'll ask my doctor if he'll play jazz piano It's my favorite. He and I have already chatted and I love his personality, and from what I can tell, his approach and his calm demeanor. He seems extremely intelligent and perceptive as well. All these things make me feel good about choosing him. I'm not sure about his rules in the operation room, but I'll mention the music idea and see what happens.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

All the very best to you SP

D
Old 12-02-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

All the best to you, dear SP.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, SoberLeigh, Brynn, and Happyandfree

I just got home from my last pre-surgery trip to the orthodontist. They put these crazy hooks on, for the oral surgeon. They are going to make my mouth sore. I'll be wearing some wax soon

Thanks, Venecia
Old 12-02-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can't even imagine what those hooks might be.

I've also had good musical and surgical experiences. The general anesthesia has really changed in recent years and the last surgery I had I woke right up with no hangover.

Good for you for doing this! You'll be glad you did it, I'm sure.

um. Wax?
Old 12-02-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah, Bim, what's funny is while they were wrapping or crimping them on today, I was imagining these horrific looking things ... then I went out to the car and glanced into the mirror ... they are so benign looking Funny, the imagination. Right now mine is just going nuts on me, imagining the worst case scenarios and such. I'm NOT Googling for horror stories. I refuse I will not do that to myself before this surgery. I'm going in with a positive attitude.

Yeah, wax to cover the pokey parts so it doesn't irritate the lining of the mouth I take it you never wore braces
Old 12-02-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good for you SP, courageous of you to go forward and face your (understandable) fears and concerns. We're here for you.