Notices

Soberpotamus's Oral Surgery Recovery Support & Journal

Old 12-17-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I've had surgery before, and I've had wisdom teeth out, and all that. But for some reason this one is terrifying me. My mom died after a drug overdose. I saw her in ICU for an entire month (in a vegetative state) before I had to tell them to take her off life support. It was quite traumatizing. I think my fears are tied in with this.

Where are the psychologists on here? EndGame? Lol.

I am flipping my lid.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SP

Best I can tell you is I've been 'put under' many many times and I've always woken up.

I understand the fear - but it's not a fear based on reality.
You will come through this fine - I'm sure of it

D
Old 12-17-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You will come through this fine - I'm sure of it
Ok, I'm going to remember this, Dee. I will meditate on this when I'm going into the hospital at 5am that morning.

Dee is certain I will come out ok.

I do feel better already.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
I've had surgery before, and I've had wisdom teeth out, and all that. But for some reason this one is terrifying me. My mom died after a drug overdose. I saw her in ICU for an entire month (in a vegetative state) before I had to tell them to take her off life support. It was quite traumatizing. I think my fears are tied in with this.

Where are the psychologists on here? EndGame? Lol.

I am flipping my lid.
Being under anesthesia is giving up control completely. It's natural to have feelings, especially fear, about that. In advance of surgery, I would imagine that I'd be out [deleted the rest of my comment in fear that I might give you something else to stress over].

Given your history and your burgeoning independent nature, it would be more surprising to me if you weren't concerned.

Most anesthesiologists will refuse to put someone under if there is even a hint of danger or other difficulties. And the financial fallout over malpractice is only a part of it, albeit a major part. As far as your doctors and I know, your overall health is generally good or better, and this always bodes well in your favor.

If my prayers mean anything, you certainly have them.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
The irony is that all those years I binge drank I voluntarily lost some consciousness in blackouts and passing out.
That's probably why you're scared. This isn't behavior you've fought to change. This isn't giving up control for an addiction. This is anesthesia for improvement. Relax.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
SP, I think its natural to be afraid. And considering your traumatizing experience its just twsting the knife.

You know, I sometime have illogical fear when I drive a bridge. Like it will crash right here, under my feet.

Then I take a deep breath and think that thousand of people dirve here day after day, and it still stands.

My friend underwent a brain surgery about two years ago - it was a 8 hour complicated surgery. And besides my friend has heart issues. But she did fine.

As she told me after "They put me a mask - and I fall asleep. Then I woke up".

Sure you are scared - everyone is when placing her health in someone else's hands.

But tell yourself that everything will be fine.

Because it will be.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, EndGame. And MidnightBlue. It relieves me to hear that it's normal to have fear going into this. I mean, I thought it was anyway. But it just feels scary and I needed comfort. My husband isn't good at comforting me.

The prayers do mean something, yes, thanks EndGame.

I do feel relief reading your posts. I am going to concentrate on having faith that it's going to be ok.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

At my worst, when my mind is running wild, I imagine I'm slowly making my way toward a guillotine.

And then I laugh at how ridiculous that thought is.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi there.

I've read about your upcoming surgery and worries earlier also on another thread but am only now getting to responding. First off, I think it's a wonderful and courageous decision on your part to go ahead with this, especially given that you have wanted it done for so long. There are so many things we dream of and wish for but just put it on hold forever and then of course the wish hardly ever disappears and regrets remain...

I agree that it's totally natural to be scared, it's major surgery and it sounds like you don't have much experience being on the table. Who would not be scared? I'm similar to you in that: have never had any surgery other than a tonsillectomy when I was maybe 5 or 6 and that is a minor and quick procedure. I would be very anxious and scared as well, at least for two reasons: 1. what if it does not go as expected (perhaps it would have been better not to put this here but I imagine you think about this, too) and 2. the actual anesthesia part. Plus, put this in the context of some other current events ongoing in your personal life... with your husband etc (maybe I have no business commenting on that but I have read it). It's uncertainty on the top of uncertainty, all intermingled. Happening to someone who is by default a very independent person and likes to see perspective in life. Hope I don't sound offensive with making assumptions, but this is how you have always come across to me via SR, and I relate to it a lot: wanting to pursue goals, trying to be decisive, but at the same time also anxious and fearing uncertainty.

As for the jaw issue... I have something like that as well, plus horrible natural teeth on top. Not because I did not care, but this part is clearly inheritance: both of my parents had bad teeth. But instead of committing to correcting problems with braces when I was younger, I took the shortcut and had a ton of invasive dental work mostly for cosmetic reasons (so, mostly driven by vanity) about 10 years ago when the technologies were far from being as good as nowadays. Very expensive and, honestly, now I wish I had waited a few more years. Then I had more dental work specifically to correct my bite that the cosmetic treatments screwed up. I think that the result of all this is far from being as good as it could have been had I been more patient and considered more options over time. So that's about my story with dental work. But I can tell you that however it could have been done better, I am still very happy that I opted for it because I was very self conscious about my teeth in my youth. I still consider it a good choice and good investment.

Okay after this ramble I'm not even sure what to suggest to ease you fears... except that it's always a triumph to overcome our fears and commit to uncertainty, and that for the anesthesia... well, realistically perhaps it's a bit similar to fears of flying: it's such high tech and well-controlled and supervised nowadays that probably any true risk is smaller than getting an infection from having a tooth pulled.

I will think of you and will keep my fingers crossed for you!
Old 12-18-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I am no phycologist Soberpotamus but just from a practical point of view,you are young, you are healthy and you will not be unconscious due to a drug overdose. On a statistical basis you are going to be fine

I would be more bothered about the discomfort afterwards

I will be sending good vibes your way when the time comes
Old 12-18-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 12-19-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I would be more bothered about the discomfort afterwards
Yes, this is something that's on my mind, believe me.

Thanks, y'all. It helps to read all your posts and thoughts. Very comforting.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I would be very anxious and scared as well, at least for two reasons: 1. what if it does not go as expected (perhaps it would have been better not to put this here but I imagine you think about this, too) and 2. the actual anesthesia part. Plus, put this in the context of some other current events ongoing in your personal life... with your husband etc (maybe I have no business commenting on that but I have read it). It's uncertainty on the top of uncertainty, all intermingled. Happening to someone who is by default a very independent person and likes to see perspective in life. Hope I don't sound offensive with making assumptions, but this is how you have always come across to me via SR, and I relate to it a lot: wanting to pursue goals, trying to be decisive, but at the same time also anxious and fearing uncertainty.
Thanks for your thoughts, Aellyce. Yes, the two highlighted parts above are my main concerns. I figure once I make it through the anesthesia, and assuming nothing horrible goes wrong, I can weather any discomfort or pain easily. I'm not really worried at all after that point. So, yes, you've nailed down exactly my biggest fears.

And as for your further thoughts on my personality, again, spot on. Independent by nature yet dealing with the lifelong anxiety/fear tendencies. Maybe that goes back to my crazy childhood, and is evident in the way I tried to function and compensate -- I alternately pushed myself to excel, and yet withered from fear at times. I guess it comes with the territory, doesn't it? If we take risks, we will probably have to face fears at some point.

Yes, this one one of those "big" dreams I'd pushed aside throughout my twenties and most of my thirties. It was put away on some permanent "to-do" list that I never seemed to get to, probably because of the drinking.

It was not by coincidence I walked into an ortho and got the braces during the month I got sober. I think it was quite symbolic for me. I was fighting for my sobriety, for myself, and for my dreams and goals that had nearly gotten buried beneath the addiction.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

A quick update on my situation. I went to the oral surgeon on Tuesday for the last consult. They took some last minute x-rays. He sent me to the ortho for molds. All that's done and out of the way. No more molds! I hate those things. Feels like you're suffocating for a minute. Then, I went to the surgery center in the hospital where it'll all take place. I checked in, gave them my info, took care of all financials (only had a $150 copay; the insurance paid for the rest of it!), took blood, discussed my health history with a stern nurse, drank a Coke after the blood when I got dizzy, and talked with the anesthesiologist for a little while about my fears and such. He has prepared me to wake up to 6-7 pain on a scale of 1-10. It initially frightened me to hear this, but I think I will appreciate this later on, as many people have indicated the pain was minimal, comparable to removal of wisdom teeth. I won't assume the best, but I will hope for the best. Conversely, I won't assume the worst either. My husband and my ex-bf are all set to be there on the 12th and the 13th (day after). I will sleep there one night if all goes well. Probably a 24 hour period total.

We will call my Dad this weekend and let him know what's going on. He can come here if he wants, or not. His choice.

I've stocked up on Ensure, a nutritional supplement drink. That will be my "backup" when we don't feel like heating up soup or blending. I'm gathering all my ingredients over the weekend to do some massive blending and freezing. Buying some throwaway freezer containers, and following some recipes I've collected. We have a deep freezer, so we definitely have the extra space. We also have a Vitamix, and that thing will blend anything. The doctor told me I could even blend pizza. Doesn't sound appetizing right now, but he assured me that it would taste delicious to me at some point during the 16 weeks I won't be able to chew. Yes, 16 weeks! Wrap your head around that. I'm having a hard time imagining not chewing food for four months. I'm sure I'll be eating scrambled eggs, potatoes, and pasta fairly soon though.

Today, I'm going to pick up my syringe and feeding tube. I plan to bypass the teeth entirely for the first few weeks, just to play it safe, and to keep my mouth as clean as possible, since I won't be able to brush for a while. I will have mouth rinse.

I have my lip balm and my saline nose spray ready. I told my husband to have these for me in the recovery room. I am afraid my nose will be stuffed and that I might have trouble breathing at first. This actually happened to me after my surgery at age 20. I had a tube going into my stomach, and I panicked. I don't do too well waking up from these kinds of things. I have the mouth of a sailor, and I was pretty harsh with some nurses who were rough with me. I refused to let them remove my stomach tube; I took it out myself!

I went ahead and bought some king-sized pillows and got pillowcases for those. We now have our regular pillows and the four huge pillows on the bed. I've been sleeping on two of the big ones to get used to the feeling, as I'll have to sleep inclined like this for a while, to keep blood from going to my head, to minimize the discomfort/pain and swelling.

I've done pretty much all I can think of to do in order to prepare. Some days I feel panicky; other days I forget what's about to happen. The anxiety comes and goes. It's normal; I get it. I just have to accept what's coming, and that's like accepting a big black hole. Who knows what's really going to happen? The odds are it'll be great. I'm a tough girl. I'm healthy. I have a good immune system. Physically, I have an edge. Mentally/emotionally, I do suffer from having a brain that will analyze to death and pick over details anything that it can. I have struggled with anxiety all my life. It's no surprise to me. I am leaning into this one, though. Literally, relaxing my muscles, and breathing deeply when I feel tense. I want this. I told the anesthesiologist that I'm ready. I was happy to sign my name on the scary release form. My life is kind of in his hands that day.

I'll post again over the weekend when I'm sick of blending.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not surprised how organized and prepared you are. It sounds like you have thought of everything to help make this go smoothly. I thought I was the only one who got panicky with the ortho molds. I had a couple done recently for crowns and I had to sit for 4 minutes with my mouth closed and I really had to dig deep to calm my breathing.

It sounds like you have a good dental team on your side and that you know what to expect and I'm sure that helps to relax you somewhat. I hope you will be able to check in with us regularly and let us know how you're managing.

I hope you are a bit excited too.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi, Anna.

I am a little excited, yes! I guess it's the whole fear-anxiety combined. Don't know if I can convince my brain I'm "excited" but it's worth a try. Lol. Better than being absolutely petrified.

I'm 100% confident in my choice to do this, though. I'm solid. I'll meditate on the logical aspect of this ordeal.

I'm in fight-or-flight mode right now, where the lizard brain wants to hop a plane to anywhere-but-here, and evade it all.

It's kind of interesting. I'm able to tap into the AV wisdom here as well. My higher self chose this and wants this, and understands the odds are good for a successful surgery and recovery, and for a nice new jawline and bite. The lizard brain is screaming at me to run! To run for my life.

I don't have to obey the lizard side. I am letting my higher self take over.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

You sound like the very best Girl Scout ever! Plus that whole rational thought process is serving you well right now.

My little thought for the day calendar said a couple days ago, "Just for today I will think of an assuring word or phrase to say to myself when I start to get fearful. I will use it every time I get worried."
Old 01-08-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
...holds the key

You're prepared and have a great mindset which will serve you well in your recovery!
How exciting that you're seeing the fulfillment of a long time goal, potamus!
I'll continue sending positive thoughts your way!
Xo
Old 01-08-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Thinking of you!! Xoxo
Old 01-08-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Best of luck SP!! You are super prepared, like a Navy Seal, or a Pacifist Navy Potamus. You got this.