Notices

Thanksgiving Holiday Edition Weekender Pt 3

Old 11-25-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

I have caught up reading posts now...

My heart is with each of you...sick family members; significant losses both fresh and the anniversaries of same; the risks and self examination that sobriety affords. Thank you so much for sharing yourselves here.

My hope is with each of you...the strength to forge a new way forward; new and renewed relationships; the determination to be YOU instead of not-you in whatever ways are necessary. Thank you so much for sharing yourselves here.

I am signing offline a little while, to execute my plan for this free afternoon and evening:
-finish taming the leaves that want to block my front door
- shine up the kitchen in prep for tomorrow morning's cooking
- create a place in my home to start sewing again...bites lip...my machine has been in storage for 10+ years. I am going to break it out and start a project in December!
-take a bath with hot chai (copycat!!!) about 9pm, and count my lucky lucky stars while listening to some jazz

I expect to check in when I crawl into bed. Thank you so much for all your thoughts and posts today. Collective awesomeness strikes again and again and again...
Old 11-25-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
Omg!!

Love them

Aren't they huge creatures? And they are mean, supposedly!
Well obviously they are to be feared!! Our own SoberP demonstrated that today in traffic!!
Old 11-25-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

I was probably laughed at today, Bix
Old 11-25-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Do your best

Saying my goodnight gang early night for moi

SP you are awesome
Old 11-25-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
I was probably laughed at today, Bix
I don't theeeeenk so!! I wish we could have seen the faces the convoy behind you were giving each other as they dared not come up next to you, though!
Old 11-25-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

As all can see, Da Pooch is a teeming Fur Ball of Anxiety this Morning. So, away to the Dog Park we go.

My Dog Park Pal w/recent DUI just showed up for some more House Trim Sanding. He called prior to say the local Town Marshall just stopped him for a Taillight being out, and that he'd be late. I'm sure he's on their Radar. If I sign some sort of Work Release Form, they'll go easier on him re: Jail time. My pleasure. Good Dude at Heart.

This Cheesecake now in the Oven has me floating along like some Cartoon Dog following a Bacon Scent.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Zelda, isn't it nice out? Warmish. Maybe rain later and mid fifties tomorrow. I'm excited. My pansies will be around longer.
It's amazingly nice out! Sunny and almost 60 degrees. Very unusual for late November around here for sure!
Old 11-25-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

SoberP receiving a honk when it's uncalled for absolutely infuriates me. I do want to sit there till the light turns red again. Usually just gift them with the o'l symbolic gesture and continue with my day. Kinda funny that I feel the need to get a look at the person to see what kind of person would do such a thing.
(I'm normally a calm driver)
CHEESECAKE!

Goodnight soberwolf
Old 11-25-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Mesa! Right on about the Sanders pronunciation! You know, the Bumpy Cake doesn't taste the same as it did when we were kids. Like most companies, they eventually have totally cheaped out on the wholesome ingredients...

But that my sister brings me one from Michigan every year out of love.... Now that tastes amazing!!

The. Mixer. Hinges. Down? Super amazeballs!!! I love it!

Bix, sounds like you have a good plan! Love the chai in the bath part!

Hi ZeldaFan!

Night night soberwolf!

Hi Della, saoutchik, trachemys, Weasel and mecanix and bigsombrero, and Jen! I'm trying to think of everyone!

Mesa, I got a good one, too... "Behold! The field in which I grow my f$&@s. Lay thine eyes upon it and thou shalt see that it is barren!" (SoberP in traffic lololol)
Old 11-25-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

It only works if the person immediately behind you is honkin the horn: Put your vehicle in reverse. Since I drive a pickup, most people stop honkin.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Day 19 of Gratitude Challenge:

Today, I am grateful for my pet. For decades, people have been asking the classic question, “Are you a dog person or a cat person?” Being a “dog person” makes you seem outdoorsy and energetic; “cat people” are thought of more as the cozy bookworm type. But what is the assumption if you tell you them you’re a “bunny person?”‘

As you can tell, “bunny people” are kind of hard to categorize, but we’re often professionally creative and we’re all aware of the well-kept secret that rabbits can, in a lot of subtle ways, improve your life. Here’s some proof:

Bunnies Help You Stay Healthy:

Although I love animals, I’m not a vegetarian and I can’t resist the occasional burger. Still, thanks to my bunny, I eat my fair share of fruits and veggies. Having a rabbit in the house ensures that you’ve got a fridge stocked with fresh lettuce and carrots and kale. My years of bunny cohabitation has completely changed the way I shop for groceries. And just witnessing the joy my bunny feels when she eats a piece of apple, makes me want to eat more fruits too.

Bunnies Keep You Calm:

Rabbits trust calm, slow movements, and most will curl up next to you for hours if you’re sitting still, reading a book, or typing on your laptop. As someone who’s anxiety-prone, I’m forced to be calmer and do more meditative tasks when I’m around her if I want to keep her snuggling by my side.

Bunnies Are Joyful:

It’s impossible not to let out the occasional squeal or giggle when you see a bunny hop across your plane of sight or a bright white tail dash out of your periphery. A lot of people had bunnies as children and having one as an adult brings you back to that Beatrix Potter place in a wonderful way. They jump around in these playful circles, landing with a complete look of incredulity like, “What just happened? Was I possessed? How high did I go?! Watch me do it again!”

Bunnies Need You:

Life can be kind of lonely; it’s nice to be taken care of but it’s also nice to be needed. Rabbits will look at you the same way any pet will. They recognize you. They love you. They’re grateful. Most rabbits get pretty big, and although they don’t require constant attention, they do require fresh food, daily exercise, and visits to the vet on occasion, and they can easily live to be 8 or 10 years old. That’s a commitment that a lot of people aren’t ready for. If you are, then you can go ahead and save a life: a furry, affectionate, innocent, little bunny life!

Bunnies Bring Out Your Softer Side:

Have you ever noticed that when a product proudly states, “not tested on animals,” it’s usually accompanied by the logo of a rabbit? That’s because bunnies are a classic symbol of innocence and the epitome of cuteness. More than half the people I know smile when I say I have a pet bunny. Bunnies are wonderful, loving little creatures, and one just might be able to improve your world!

Five years ago, a bunny took up residence in our house. She spends most of the day in the same spot. Sometimes I sense that if I were to try and approach her, I wouldn’t catch her. She doesn’t move when we come over, she just hunkers down in her spot and watches where we are.

In her, I see the capacity to be hyperaware, vulnerable, and yet completely calm. She knows exactly what’s going on around her, but chooses not to move. She doesn’t hide under or behind anything and yet is somehow protected. In the place where she sits, she can exit in any direction at any time but she lives in the moment. Perhaps I can too.

Rabbits can bounce around frantically or they can be completely still. I have the same ability. My mental adjustment has made my life feel completely different. I feel vulnerable at times, but I am learning to embrace that feeling. I am safe. I now know what to do.

I have spent much energy in my lifetime, running away, resisting, fighting, opposing…I am learning that I can be just as effective sitting still. My stillness does not mean I can’t move quickly. It doesn’t make me stuck or less significant…I can be aware and move where I choose, when I choose, just like the bunny in my house.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

I haven't had time to catch up with all your posts yet, but happy Thanksgiving to all of you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FB_IMG_1448020990832.jpg (46.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 11-25-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm really struggling to keep up guys - awesome

Soberwolf, before you go to bed you may be interested to know that you can get crawfish at The Blues Kitchen in Camden. Sometimes they have crawfish racing too (NASCRAW racing) I would prefer to eat it in Louisiana but Camden is cheaper to get to.

Endgame (good to see you on the thread) The Magic Piano was superb, I particularly enjoyed the p*ssed off businessman/jerk

LBrain the collective noun for a bunch of robins in the UK is (predictably) a round of Robins

Welcome Neverthought, good to meet a fellow engineering fan

Gettingsmarter - congratulations on losing the beard and 30lbs (it must have been a mighty beard). It's a good feeling isn't it?

Congratulations MLD on staying strong and to fellow soon to be quitters

I won't give gory details but had a spacer put in between two molars which involved some cutting. Made sure everyone at work know that I have a course of antibiotics to follow which preclude alcohol for three weeks. Just another sandbag in the booze dyke
Old 11-25-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Thanks Tetra.

I make friends with the "wild" cotton tales in my yard each year. A couple months in they will trust me enough to lay and rest within reach of my lawn chair. It's really cool.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

man... you guys post a lot.

a 'round' of robins, I guess that's where the term 'round robin' came from in tournaments... each team plays each team

So much goings on here - on the thread - I can't even keep up.

I hope it doesn't snow again Ruby, you might have to get your pansies in a bunch.

I guess I have nothing useful for the thread... spent too much time reading about charlie sheen, poor guy. Reminds me of a comment I made a here in the past. I was close to winning about 20 million one time in nevada. I've often said if I had won, I probably wouldn't be here now.
Don't know if I would have made it to 30 or 40. I've done some incredibly stupid things with little money. I couldn't imagine me in my twenties with millions to waste. Hell, I'm surprised I'm here now.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

I'll never catch up on the thank you button.

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouth ankyouthankyou.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post

One of the House features here I designed/built-in is now in use for a 40 Oz. Cheesecake under construction: the trick, fold-down Mixer On Stand seen below. Release 2 'Stops', and the Spring-assisted Wood Block w/Mixer hinges back down out of sight. The Mixer never moves. It's pretty much an Older Woman Aphrodisiac, based on the reaction to it from Visiting Females.
I must be a rare exception to the rule. (And most women I know *do* love cheesecake.) Never been a huge fan, though I'm sure yours is delish, Mesa.

I have chosen to decide it's because I'm not old enough.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Soberpotamus - you need one of these (a wellie boot remover)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20151125_205056.jpg (14.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-25-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
I'll never catch up on the thank you button.

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouth ankyouthankyou.
Ditto.

As I reached into the mystery box of CD's for some tuneage while I cleaned I came across a 'Little Junior Parker' collection I have.

In the spirit of visiting family on t-day...

Old 11-25-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Venecia ~

The Aphrodisiac in question is not the Cheesecake. It's the hinged down Mixer Mechanism that seems to get Female Cooks Of A Certain Age swooning. It is pretty bitchen.

While she's too young to cite as Evidence, please see Melina's Post above. Hee hee...