Notices

Hello to all

Old 11-13-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello to all

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I am a 50 yr old male, my first time seeking a support group for a problem I have in the form of alcohol. I am 3 days sober, going cold turkey, I know it will be tough, but I am serious about beating it. I am looking into vitamins that may help, not only with any damage I've caused to myself, but overall health benefits also. Look forward to hearing from those who wish to reply, and wish you the best in your recovery also.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No sleep,

Welcome to the forums! Congratulations on your 3 days! You will find much sage advice and support here.

I am afraid I can't offer any words of wisdom concerning vitamins, however, others will be along soon who probably can!

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 11-13-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, welcome, NoSleep !!
I have found a great deal of support, encouragement, experience and hope here.

I am 56 and have less than 30 days sober, btw.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome NoSleepTilSober

If you want any supplements or vitamins that may help you really need to speak to your Dr cos we're all different. Only your Dr will be able to test what vitamins you may be deficient in, and basically...what may have worked for someone else may not work or even be suitable for you

That being said, my experience is I took a common store bought multivitamin for a while and it certainly did me no harm

D
Old 11-13-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimC60 View Post
No sleep,

Welcome to the forums! Congratulations on your 3 days! You will find much sage advice and support here.

I am afraid I can't offer any words of wisdom concerning vitamins, however, others will be along soon who probably can!

Keep coming back,

Jim
Thanks Jim, I will!
Old 11-13-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
Welcome, welcome, NoSleep !!
I have found a great deal of support, encouragement, experience and hope here.

I am 56 and have less than 30 days sober, btw.
Thank you, congratulations!
Old 11-13-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome NoSleepTilSober

If you want any supplements or vitamins that may help you really need to speak to your Dr cos we're all different. Only your Dr will be able to test what vitamins you may be deficient in, and basically...what may have worked for someone else may not work or even be suitable for you

That being said, my experience is I took a common store bought multivitamin for a while and it certainly did me no harm

D
Thank you! I'm still trying to come up with my replacement drinks for alcohol. I'm doing alot of juices right now, I drink a good ammount of water while working. Trying to be smart about it. My Dad said 'Replace it with something you really like', well Dad, I really like Milkshakes! But replacing 12 beers with 12 shakes is going to cause quite the trouser adjustment!
Old 11-13-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.
Thank you, not least, but most
Old 11-13-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here No Sleep!
Old 11-13-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome!

I hope you find information about the support you need. Read around and post often!
Old 11-13-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I took 100mg b1, folate, c, b12 and calcium/magnesium for the first week daily and now just a multi. I'm at 18 days now and feel better every day. I drank daily and a lot so I know it takes time. I also ate everything in sight the first week because I was hungry. Kinda just normal now. Almost every detox will give at least b1. My BP was checked every 4 hrs in the hospital (3.5 day detox) and was normal by the time I left. Kinda high the first coupla days. Best wishes on feeling better soon. Don't be afraid to see a doc if things get too hairy.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, NoSleepTilSober! It's great to have you with us. And congrats on making a change that will pay great dividends in your life. I too drank for many years and didn't make the decision to get sober til my 40's. I wasted a lot of years but hopefully I'll have better ones ahead! I think you will, too.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome. It does get better.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome NSTS
Old 11-14-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just a quick thanks to all of you for your thoughts! My first time tonight to fire up the Grill and not have a beer in hand. It went fine, my family is awesome, and great support also. I am having problems with leg cramps and a neck cramp. Mild pain in my joints. But the leg cramps are killing me. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Or just a sudden health issue with nothing to do with going cold turkey?
Old 11-14-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No Sleep,

I do trim carpentry and get leg cramps if I am up and down all day like when installing baseboards, or constantly up and down ladders.

Tonic water (with quinine) seems to make the leg cramps go away for me; Navy corpsman from Viet Nam era agrees with my theory / treatment although he claims that room temperature works better than cold. Have never "detoxed" from alcohol, so there may be other things going on which I do not understand.

Cheap tonic water works just as well (and tastes just as bad) as the expensive tonic -- it's the quinine that counts! Worth a try......

Jim
Old 11-15-2015, 12:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome NSTS,

I always feel a bit of a fraud when posting to say "welcome" because I've only just found SR myself.

What I do know though it is an amazing place full of amazing people with more wisdom than you can shake a stick at.

I too joined on my day 3 and there's no way I would have made it to day 14 without SR

The very best of warm wishes to you for your journey.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a good day today
Old 11-15-2015, 02:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! For your leg cramps try eating a banana, it helps ease them. Otherwise a magnesium supplement. The best is those powders you mix with water, they hit faster and usually take the cramps away in a matter of minutes.