Notices

Not sure how this works but Hi!

Old 11-15-2015, 02:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure how this works but Hi!

Hello. This is my first post. After a number of failed attempts to cut down I decided to join this for a little support. Only now starting to realise its a problem. Im in my early 20s and never really noticed until now because drinking every night in uni was the norm. Now ive finished uni and entered working life this has continued. I always find an excuse to drink. If something bad happens, I need it. If something good happens, I deserve it. I think it really hit me when I moved away my bed and saw the amount of bottles and cans I had chucked behind there. Because of my age I thought obviously I cant have a problem, I thought it was just a part of being young but Im drinking more and more on my own and I want to stop this before it ruins my life. Ive always been a very anxious person so its always been used as a way to calm myself down and I cant see myself not having something to lean on.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Barnese, welcome to the forum! That is so great that you have recognized your problem, and even more so that you are trying to do something about it NOW before it gets worse. Have a read around and reach out whenever you have questions or need support.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR.

If you have anxiety issues alcohol is hurting more than helping. You might get a couple hours of relief, but after that your anxiety will be higher. Then you feel like you need a drink to calm down. Alcohol is the problem that masquerades as the solution.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 11-15-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, Barnese!

Welcome to SR and I am glad you realize that you have a problem now while you are young, because that will help you avoid a lot of problems, grief and possibly horror later on.

Also very good that you have awareness of the role your anxiety plays in this. From here I'm sure you know to seek healthier ways to deal with the anxiety, whether it's counseling, meditation, exercise, herbal teas or whatever combination suits you and works.

Best wishes for your adventures in sobriety!
Old 11-15-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The posters above took the words out my mouth, so I will just say "welcome"! This is a great place for support and guidance!
Old 11-15-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi, I'm glad you joined and that you recognize you have a problem with alcohol.

Many of us here, me included, have a hard time dealing with anxiety. But, I can assure you that there are healthy ways to do that. Exercise helps a lot, whether it's walking, tennis, running, whatever you enjoy. Meditation helps many people and simple breathing exercises that you can learn. Have faith that you will be able to deal with your anxiety and remain sober.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this, I am also in my early twenties. I'm new to posting here but have lurked for some months now. I thought because I'm so young, I couldn't be an alcoholic. But I think I am. I'm going to try to stay close to this board and do my best.. I wish you luck on your road to recovery!
Old 11-15-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello Barnese! Welcome to the Forum! Feel free to read around, to post what's going on in your world, and get as much support as you need!

Old 11-15-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Barnesse
Old 11-16-2015, 01:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Barnese!!