work tomorrow and I'm still drinking

Old 10-30-2015, 02:16 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Be good to yourself....

🙌
Old 10-30-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Do your best

Take as much time as you need for me when the realisation I was alcoholic occurred that was it it was a no brainer alcohol brought me nothing it just kept taking & taking

What I was trying to get away from I was only burying myself in by drinking

https://sanctuaryandserenity.wordpre...great-remover/
Old 10-30-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Need2stop27 View Post
Thanks for all your useful information. Going sober has been more on my thoughts today. But I'd need to taper off like my gp suggested and there's no definite I'll get put in rehab if I go to hospital. Work are very understanding and it's the type of job where people come and go anyway. Just need to take this time to decide what I want.
What makes you think you can make a rational decision, given that you are an active alcoholic who can't stop bingeing?

Would you actually be able to taper off if the perfect circumstances happened to occur? You seem to be making excuses to keep drinking, or at least your addicted mind is.

It sounds like your workplace is enabling your self-destruction. Maybe they're being nice to you because they figure you are not long for this world.

Hoping that you choose to live a while longer and make the best of things instead of poisoning yourself into the grave
Old 10-30-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Well I think that's a tad harsh. I know what I'm doing to myself but I don't think I'll drop dead anytime soon. I'll stop when I stop, you know yourself it's not as easy as clicking your fingers I'm sure. Didn't come here to be judged.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in thier need if your goal is abstinence then your in the right place SR is for ppl drinking trying to stop & for sobriety

Have you got a plan bud
Old 10-30-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Didn't come here to be judged.
I read it more as a call to action. Will that action be recovery? Or continued drinking.

Hope you choose recovery.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Hang in thier need if your goal is abstinence then your in the right place SR is for ppl drinking trying to stop & for sobriety

Have you got a plan bud
I don't think I'll need detox. I haven't been drinking long enough to get anything major, I know the signs by now. I may still be drinking but I am thinking about cutting down or doing something different first thing like having a coffee first (that sounds really bad) I can be sober but it's breaking the habit. I've had a lot going on in my personal life which doesn't help.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I read it more as a call to action. Will that action be recovery? Or continued drinking.

Hope you choose recovery.
My main problem is fear of recovery, I don't think I'll have any major withdrawls but there are symptoms which are unpleasant. When I stopped before I had shakes, sweating and night terrors which was a new one for me.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Each withdrawal gets worse, read about kindling.

The next one could come with seizures or heart failure. You sound pretty confident that you are different from the many people who die from withdrawals.

Take care, it's serious.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

When you say fear of recovery are you saying fear of living without alcohol? If so I was terrified of sobriety and I can assure you those fears are completely irrational. I know they seem very real when you are actively drinking but now I can look back and they seem laughable.

I hope you get some help. It seems the alcohol is really doing a number on you and you have a lot of the same excuses I did that kept me in hell longer than necessary.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Thanks for your reply. I actually passed out for an hour or so. I'll really be honest. I've come back many a time as "sober" to the world. I'm 27 and have been in rehab twice already. I find that the alcohol just makes me real and if I don't drink I'm shy and unmotivated, I'm an introvert by nature and I don't mind that so much although I figure I shouldn't be as everyone else seems out going, just being honest on here actually makes me nervous.
You are welcome.

After rehab, did you attempt any structured program of recovery? The emotions/feelings you describe are common. Many find ways to change and/or accept those characteristics leading a full, happy life.

When we are young, we always think there is plenty of time in front of us. Many here can testify this is simply an illusion. Time truly is fleeting. You have an opportunity, a real chance to do whatever you'd like to in life.

Accepting who we are and our circumstances is the beginning. Have you thought about seeking out counseling?? My point is help today is available in many forms. Many times we can't fix what's "broken" by ourselves. We must take that first step.........

Keep posting, and keep coming back!!
Glad you're here, friend
Old 10-30-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I've been on a binge for the best part of three weeks now, I had a small break inbetween but it's getting out of control again. I'm due back at work tomorrow and I'm totally panicked by the thought of having to go without a drink for 12 hours. Not just that I don't really want to go back at all but feel I should because of how nice everyone's been about my situation so if I don't go back Instantly I let my fellow work mates down and myself. Any advice?
Consider detox and rehab. Alcoholics tend to burn through chances and understanding people when continuing to drink. Professional help may be in order and may be necessary to save you and save your job.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thanks for your reply. I actually passed out for an hour or so. I'll really be honest. I've come back many a time as "sober" to the world. I'm 27 and have been in rehab twice already. I find that the alcohol just makes me real and if I don't drink I'm shy and unmotivated, I'm an introvert by nature and I don't mind that so much although I figure I shouldn't be as everyone else seems out going, just being honest on here actually makes me nervous.
Alcohol does not make you real, it treats the alcoholism and distorts your perception as to how others may actually view you when you are intoxicated. An alcoholic has to find other ways to treat the alcoholism without alcohol. One first has to identify what alcoholism even is before treating the actual condition which has zilch to do with drinking or taking other mood altering drugs.

It takes some work and commitment, but it is well worth it if you identify the problem, put down the mood altering substances and do the work. Confidence and motivation will resume once you actually begging treating the alcoholism in a healthy manner other than by drinking.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I am young like you. I wasnt drinking enough to go into seizures when I stopped. But I can tell you that each time I tried to dry out, the withdrawals got worse. More night sweats, more sweaty palms during the day, more head aches, more body aches, more anxiety, more heavy heart beating... I cant imagine what it would be like to actually go through what others have. I dont want to experience that so I quit. I dunno Im on like 4 weeks now? I dont count anymore because I feel that when I hit a milestone I needed to celebrate with a beer. Now I just worry about today, and know that yesterday I didnt drink.

No one here is judging you. Its hard to take things like harsh but true comments. You wouldnt be here if you didnt think you had a problem. You wouldnt be following your thread all day if you didnt have a problem. People who drink and dont have a problem arent here. If you think you have a problem most likely you do.

Its hard to get over this drinking especially when at every turn there is alcohol, on tv, on billboards, at your friends house etc. What I can tell you is that the longer you drink, the worse off you will be.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I don't think I'll need detox. I haven't been drinking long enough to get anything major, I know the signs by now. I may still be drinking but I am thinking about cutting down or doing something different first thing like having a coffee first (that sounds really bad) I can be sober but it's breaking the habit. I've had a lot going on in my personal life which doesn't help.
One of the biggest incentives for me is health..I would highly encourage you to get into the gym and if you are gym rat that's okay. No, it's good in your case because you can REPLACE alcohol with working out...a GOOD replacement...for me, when I really get into fitness, don't want to put things into my body that are not healthy and it helps me to abstain.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
I am young like you. I wasnt drinking enough to go into seizures when I stopped. But I can tell you that each time I tried to dry out, the withdrawals got worse. More night sweats, more sweaty palms during the day, more head aches, more body aches, more anxiety, more heavy heart beating... I cant imagine what it would be like to actually go through what others have. I dont want to experience that so I quit. I dunno Im on like 4 weeks now? I dont count anymore because I feel that when I hit a milestone I needed to celebrate with a beer. Now I just worry about today, and know that yesterday I didnt drink.

No one here is judging you. Its hard to take things like harsh but true comments. You wouldnt be here if you didnt think you had a problem. You wouldnt be following your thread all day if you didnt have a problem. People who drink and dont have a problem arent here. If you think you have a problem most likely you do.

Its hard to get over this drinking especially when at every turn there is alcohol, on tv, on billboards, at your friends house etc. What I can tell you is that the longer you drink, the worse off you will be.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply mate. I really appreciated all the support. I'm smart enough to know what I need to do. I dr myself but it's just doing that and following through. I don't need ethanol but it helps block out all my mistakes for now and people I should say sorry too.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

how are you doing today need2stop?
Old 10-31-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hope things are going well with your taper

I was one of those who had the increasingly worse withdrawals so please
be careful

Keep posting and reading
We understand--we've been there too
Old 10-31-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi, Need2Stop; how are you?

Hope you check-in.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

My main problem is fear of recovery, I don't think I'll have any major withdrawls but there are symptoms which are unpleasant. When I stopped before I had shakes, sweating and night terrors which was a new one for me.
Why do you think you won't have major withdrawals if last time you had to go to the hospital? Please don't gamble on that. It just gets worse the older you get and each withdrawal. You are young now and have a chance to change the direction your life is going. Take care of yourself.