Notices

Day one

Old 10-27-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Your day sounds good Dan. Isn't it nice to experience freedom planning the next drink.?!

Exercise / gym has been a huge part of my recovery Dan. For the first few weeks I only took my license when I went to the gym.

Wishing you a great Wednesday as well.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daniel1974 View Post
Completed day five. I was off today and spent the day with my son who was home with a fever. Not much temptation today, actually had a really really good day, even took my kids for ice cream this afternoon without counting down the minutes until I could drink, just enjoyed the time with them. Starting to feel like myself again, little by little.

I feel so good right now, right frame of mind, positive, not irritable. I've been here before and blew it with one drink in the blink of an eye and fell right back into it, I'm not going to let that happen again. The difference this time is I realize I will never be able to be a 2 drink guy or a glass of wine with dinner guy. I'm a drink until it's gone or I pass out guy...I don't like that guy anymore and I sure as Hell don't want to be that guy anymore.

I have to find something to do at night after work to keep me busy, I'm starting back to the gym next week after I'm sure I'm through all of the rough withdrawal symptoms. It's open 24 hours which is nice because I get out of work late.

I searched "sober" on meet up today to maybe find a group for sober activities but the only thing that showed up on that search were Happy Hour groups, wow that backfired.

Looking forward to tackling another sober day tomorrow! Goodnight all, please forgive my rambling, but it helps me tremendously to recap my day on here. Thanks as always for all of your positive support every day! SR is a great place to be!
Very nice post, Daniel. Glad that you had a nice day; hope your son is feeling better - ice cream is a cure-all.

Onward to Day 6.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:38 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Oops...its great to feel freedom FROM the constant burden of planning the next drink. Happy Wednesday.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Freedom From

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
Oops...its great to feel freedom FROM the constant burden of planning the next drink. Happy Wednesday.
I didn't even catch that first time around Mark, too funny!
Old 10-28-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

How was Day 6, daniel?
Old 10-28-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Day 6. Pretty good day, a lot of cravings at the end and right after work, worked 13 hours today with a lot of anxiety from my staff, I would have B-lined to the liquor store after work normally, but I took a deep breath when I walked out, jumped in my car and drove straight home. Not having my cards is definitely a good thing to do right now. Home now and feeling fine, cravings are gone. Just had a light supper and heading to bed after doing my nightly reading on SR.

I must say, one of the best things about being sober these last few days, and it gets better every day, is glorious, restful sleep, and waking up refreshed, not feeling like a bag of crap. I slept from 9 last night straight until 6 this morning. When I was drinking I would be up for 3 hours off and on every night, tongue dry as the Sahara, head throbbing, sweats, then waking was a train wreck every morning as you all know. The restful sleep and hangover free mornings are worth the price of admission alone.

Special thanks to Mark1014 & SoberLeigh for checking in on me everyday, greatly appreciated! Goodnight all.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Goodnight, daniel. I love sober sleep, too. Waking up hangover-free is something I will never get tired of.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

You're doing it man!! It's gonna stick this time enough is enough - congrats

That's awesome you're sleeping so well. Not being able to sleep was my biggest problem after quitting and you just bypassed it like it was nothing. Keep up the good work
Old 10-29-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

How was Day 7, daniel?
Old 10-29-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Day 7 was very good Sober Leigh, thanks for asking.

This morning I had a ton of energy at work, I'm a Chef and I was bouncing around getting a lot of things done, feeling a heck of a lot less clumsy and lethargic as I've been used to of late.

Thursday's are a hard day for me, actually the one I was most worried about. It's a day that I get off a bit early and have a few hours to myself which would generally mean time to get drunk by myself. I fought the urges today which I'm very proud of and had a productive late afternoon around the house and spent the evening with my son playing a few games and watching a bit of a movie before he fell asleep. I feel totally good tonight, no cravings...in fact, alcohol does not even sound good to me right now. It did a bit earlier, but not now. Looking forward to a restful sleep tonight.

Onward to day 8, I'm not going to drink tomorrow. Goodnight
Old 10-29-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Sounds as though it was a great day for you; glad to hear it.

The best is yet to come!!!!!

Sleep well.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thank you

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Sounds as though it was a great day for you; glad to hear it.

The best is yet to come!!!!!

Sleep well.
Thank you SoberLeigh, it WAS a great day. Have a wonderful night! I truly appreciate all of your kind words and encouragement
Old 10-29-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Truly, my pleasure, daniel.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-29-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

You're off to a great start Daniel. My cravings often peaked just prior to leaving the office as it was my habit to get a six pack on my way home. I found that keeping some protein shakes at my work really helped. I would drink one late in my work day. Once I was home I made it pretty well. I have to say it was a great feeling when I realized that I wasn't even thinking about stopping anymore.

You can do this! I'm a much better dad now and that feels good.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Thank you

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
You're off to a great start Daniel. My cravings often peaked just prior to leaving the office as it was my habit to get a six pack on my way home. I found that keeping some protein shakes at my work really helped. I would drink one late in my work day. Once I was home I made it pretty well. I have to say it was a great feeling when I realized that I wasn't even thinking about stopping anymore.

You can do this! I'm a much better dad now and that feels good.
Great call on the protein shakes Mark. I have definitely found that cravings are always much worse when I have a empty stomach. I'm going to leave the cards at home for at least the first few weeks, another bonus of that is I'm saving money, and eating better.

I'm already having a better connection with my kids, my head is so much clearer now.

Thank you Mark for checking in on me so often and for all of the words of encouragement! I truly appreciate it
Old 10-30-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a successful Day 8, Daniel!!!!!
Old 10-30-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Thanks Sober Leigh!

I had a good day 8, not as focused at work as yesterday for some reason, a little off, a little cloudy, maybe some withdrawal symptoms...but not much at all on the cravings today. Not at work, not after. I was looking forward to just coming home and chilling out, grabbing a bite to eat and having my new after work drink, San Pellegrino blood orange. Had a really good day, still feeling strong.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I found focusing difficult in early sobriety; the good news is that it seems to clear up for everyone.

Keep on; you are doing so well.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Way to go Dan. You're gaining momentum now! ......laying the foundation to a better life for you and your flock. Good stuff.