Notices

I need advice on how to gradually stop drinking

Old 09-25-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bev

I need advice on how to gradually stop drinking

I usually drink a bottle of Red wine each night , I tried to go cold turkey and I recently quit for 2 weeks actually 16 days but am now drinking again. I drank 3 glasses of wine last night but none today. I have to work tomorrow and have to get up early. Should I switch to vodka which I normally don't drink as much ? Maybe have two drinks for a while and taper off ?
Old 09-25-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Bev!

You won't find much support for tapering here. We are alcoholics who cannot control our drinking.

The best thing to do is to see a doctor, as alcohol withdrawal can be life-threatening.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Just mostly wanted to Welcome you Bev to SR . I don't know about tapering , I ended up in the hosp. with health issues caused by alcohol . There I detoxed for a week . We can't give out medical advice , mostly here for support on quitting . I would see your Dr for advice if your worried about how to safely detox . Myself I wouldn't change from one kind of drink to another .
Old 09-25-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Bev

Thank you I wasn't aware of that. This is my first time reaching out for help and found this site by googling how to stop drinking gradually.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Bev! You'll find lots of support here to stop drinking. Keep posting and reading
Old 09-25-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Bev

I have seen my Doctor for my yearly physical last month but didn't discuss this issue. I am in good health so far. Thank you responding
Old 09-25-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Bev.

I would suggest that you speak your doctor about your drinking and a safe medical detox.

Very glad you found us.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

That's great that your health is good , best time to stop I know of some that did detox slow here , maybe you can type in that in the search bar . Get some ideas , always best to do it by way of a Dr. We are all friendly , don't hesitate on posting other concerns !!
Old 09-25-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Bev, you've found a great community with a ton of support.

I think you'll find most of us have tried limiting our consumption or tapering. I will tell you that neither worked for me. As a matter of fact, I spent years trying to limit my consumption and would end up in the same place each and every night. Promising myself each morning that I wouldn't drink that night... until it got so bad that I quit promising myself that I would not drink. That's when it got really ugly, when I gave up on being sober.

Personally there came a point in my life that I just had to quit. My tomorrows were running out. Your goals are achievable Bev, there are plenty of us here that have been in your shoes. You can make a change if you really want to.

Don't be shy about posting questions or asking for help.

We are here for each other.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

We thought we could find an easier softer way but we could not.

This quote from the AA big book pretty much says it all
Old 09-25-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, big wine drinker here too, I tried to switch to vodka as well, it worked a couple times, but I ended up drinking just as much and my face and body got really bloated from vodka!!!
I just had to stop, nothing else works
Old 09-25-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Bev, I am in the minority, but I did taper successfully. It is hard and requires discipline. You do not get a "free pass" tapering. You will still have moments of being uncomfortable. But it will keep the shakes and sweats at bay, and hopefully allow you to get some nutrition in your body (food and hydration are critical. I wish you luck.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

As others have said, many of us have tried tapering and switching and it doesn't work. I tried tapering for most of a year and each time I almost made it, I ended up in a worse place. The other thing about tapering was that my thoughts about alcohol became obsessive - when, where, how much. Stopping cold turkey with your drs okay is really the best way.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I didn't taper per se, but my binge drinking episodes became less frequent and then I finally realized one day that I needed to stop altogether and stay stopped. I was genuinely worried about what drinking was doing to my health and my relationships. Facing the truth about what I had become and that I was truly an addict was a jagged pill that was hard to swallow, but I glad I am sober. It's totally worth it. Life can be great without putting substances in our bodies.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Bev!!
Old 09-25-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bev View Post
Should I switch to vodka which I normally don't drink as much?
As someone who graduated from wine to vodka during my drinking career, this line made me scream "NOOOOOOO!" in my head.

Whatever you decide, it's always a good idea to talk to your Doctor. I know it's hard to start the conversation, but you won't be sorry you did.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tapering never worked for me and unless you know what you're doing it may not be any safer than cold turkey.

I know how difficult it would be to approach your Dr but I really urge you to do that Bev - if not your regular medico, see another?

D
Old 09-25-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I would definitely NOT switch to vodka! I didn't have any success with tapering either.

I like Dee's suggestion of finding another doctor for this issue if you don't want to go to your normal doctor. My doctor was extremely helpful and supportive to me, not judgmental at all.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My advice on how to gradually stop;

Gradually, over the course of about 25 years, come to the eventual, painful, miserable, beaten-up conclusion that you've REALLY got to change.

Then, one day, finally stop drinking and her serious about sobriety.

That's all I can tell you because it's the only 'gradually' that applies for me. 'Tapering'? Well that wound up just another slick word for 'moderating' which was just another slick word for 'continuing to be an alcoholic'
Old 09-25-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Bev I veto the firewater vodka option I don't believe tapering works if if did we wouldnt ever question it let alone make a plan to have it in my life

I call this alcoholism and I need a plan to keep it out of my life I am 26 months sober & almost 4 years clean & my life has gradually got so much better

Small miracles exist & I see them all the time & I can only advise stopping drinking completely changed my life

really nice to meet you Bev