I need advice on how to gradually stop drinking

Old 09-25-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

Please do not switch to hard liquor.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Tapering'? Well that wound up just another slick word for 'moderating' which was just another slick word for 'continuing to be an alcoholic'
This. I tried to cut back but never succeeded. Not once. I would always try again tomorrow. The tomorrow's added up to years. I had to stop drinking alcohol.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Also true: there will never be a perfect time to quit.

This was me:

If I were still drinking right now on September 25, 2015, I imagine I would give it a stab after New Year's. Once the holidays and everything were over right? Well maybe plus a few days in January. You know no need to rush things. Then my birthday comes up just about a month later so maybe after that. And damn, now the weather is getting warmer. After summer it is.

Sadly, I used to do this exact thing! Quitting is a breeze when it's off in the future.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I was a vodka alcoholic. Switched to beer thinking there was no way I'd drink the same quantity of alcohol when it took 12-14 whole bottles of beer to match the vodka amount right? I drank 12-14 beers a night.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Bev

I was thinking about tapering off too.. Im only 6 days sober.. already feeling a lot better. I would advise not to drink for 30 to 60 days , see how you feel then, I guarantee you will be able to think a looooot clearer before choosing to drink that bottle of wine

Cheers - Dru
Old 09-26-2015, 02:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bev View Post
I usually drink a bottle of Red wine each night , I tried to go cold turkey and I recently quit for 2 weeks actually 16 days but am now drinking again. I drank 3 glasses of wine last night but none today. I have to work tomorrow and have to get up early. Should I switch to vodka which I normally don't drink as much ? Maybe have two drinks for a while and taper off ?
im glad your here and want to stop drinking, however im very confused.
usually drink a bottle lf wine a nite.
quit for 2 weeks.
3 glasses of wine last nignt.
and now you want to switch to vodka to gradually stop??? you stopped completely for 2 weeks amd now you want to use vodka to taper?????

bev, im glad youre here and want to stop drinking, but if this is homest, youre thinking is that of a delusional insane person. there are many many people who switched their favorite drink thinking it would help only to end up even worse.

i hope ya remove that option.theres many other options that show more success for stopping drinking.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Adventurer

You quit for 2 weeks, tell us more about that situation. Did you taper or go cold turkey? Your drinking a bottle of wine a day, how much to you weigh? For some a bottle of wine a day would be rough withdrawals and some not bad at all. Do you drink wine and vodka together ever, say a bottle of wine and a few mixed drinks? How about 2 bottles if wine?
Old 09-26-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR Bev.

I need advice on how to gradually stop drinking
I sought similar advice before, but what I really wanted to know was How can I gradually keep drinking?

The question I should have been asking was why is it so important to me to continue drinking?

I don't really like the answer to that question, but I am much better solving that riddle than my original.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.