Notices

Fed up and lost

Old 09-08-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fed up and lost

Hi, I have struggled with addictions of all sorts for all of my adult life. I have left all of them behind with the exception of alcohol, I just can't leave it alone. Since the age of 12 years old I have binged on alcohol at least once a week and sometimes for 5 days at a time. Of course this has been a REAL problem I. Relationships, jobs and self esteem.
I am 42 years old now and I have pushed it back to weekends but it's 75 beers on Saturday and Sunday, I believe my health is suffering and Im Afraid I'm doomed to loose another relationship. I'm scared and I am helpless against this. How do I start to kick this.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Shonno, glad you found the site If you are at a point where you get withdrawals, seriously talk to your doctor about your desire to quit. There is a lot of support here and AA works well for some, too.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No real withdrawal yet just can't shake the urges on weekends. But then again I haven't made past a weekend so who knows. What I'll feel.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shonno View Post
Hi, I have struggled with addictions of all sorts for all of my adult life. I have left all of them behind with the exception of alcohol, I just can't leave it alone. Since the age of 12 years old I have binged on alcohol at least once a week and sometimes for 5 days at a time. Of course this has been a REAL problem I. Relationships, jobs and self esteem.
I am 42 years old now and I have pushed it back to weekends but it's 75 beers on Saturday and Sunday, I believe my health is suffering and Im Afraid I'm doomed to loose another relationship. I'm scared and I am helpless against this. How do I start to kick this.
Please talk to your physician about a detox plan. You will find a lot of support here, read as many posts as you can. I am early days, but had a heck of a time with first withdrawal (cold turkey) so always suggest talk to doc first. Good luck, glad you are here.!!
Old 09-08-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Should I expect withdrawals? Maybe the urges are withdrawals dunno
Old 09-08-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anyway IM going for it, this weekend will be my first so wish me luck. Thanks
Old 09-08-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep us posted.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I will with utmost candor and honesty
Old 09-08-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Should I expect withdrawals? Maybe the urges are withdrawals dunno
Welcome to SR! Withdrawals are always possible, but each person responds differently. The good news is they are finite...but they can be dangerous too so just take it easy and seek help if you need it. Rest, water and healthy food can help ease the symptoms.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi there and welcome. Stick close to the site this weekend. Maybe have a plan to distract you and lots of healthy food and beer alternatives!
Old 09-08-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. It's a great place to get ideas and support. I'd recommend having plans for this weekend if you usually drink on the weekend. Have backup plans to the plans, just in case.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Shonno!!
Old 09-10-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

How are you doing today, Shonno?
Old 09-10-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck this weekend! Weekends are the hardest time for me as well. It helps to have a plan and to know which places to stay away from. You can do it! ❤
Old 09-10-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've said just about all of those things....

And now I'm 42 and almost two years sober.

How do you start? You start with a sincere and deep focus on being sober.

For me, AA was a crucial part of the process and my toolkit. Having real, in-person support and interaction was important. The Big Book was helpful, too. I read it three times. I didn't do everything that AA said and I didn't find everything in the Big Book resonated with me - but I got a lot out of both and they were essential to my recovery process. I haven't been in a while, but I have AA friends and AA ties and I will go to meetings from time to time because I want to give back and because I don't want to stray too far from reminders of why I am sober.

I also went (and continue to go) to counseling. Pretty regularly, though with spots and breaks from it. Therapy helped me deal with not specifically my addiction - but with the business of being human. It helped me deal with all of the things that I didn't even realize were related to my drinking. It helped me become more comfortable with me, with my past, with my present. Gave me tools other than alcohol to live with.

I changed. I stopped going to places that were all about alcohol. Eventually, nowadays, I can and do go to those places on a limited basis. Maybe to see a band or attend an event. But I find them mostly unappealing now. I have a lot of new things in my life that I'd prefer to focus my time on and that's because...

I did new things and went new places. I shifted my focus - which had been on drinking and doing things with people who were focused on drinking. I started doing things that weren't about drinking, with people who didn't focus on drinking. I supported my decision to embrace sobriety by investing in sober activities.

I gave back, got outside myself. Started some youth programs and volunteered and did things that felt good to help my community. None of which - incidentally - were about drinking.

I rebuilt my life around a sober choice.... and things changed. Things got better. Things continue to get better. I don't drink and I'm happy about that.

Like you it all started as a youngster. Like you I struggled through addictions to a lot of things. Like you, alcohol was my hardest struggle to break free from. Like you, I knew inside that I wanted more and that I didn't want to live that way. I'm like you....

and you can be like me.

Sober and free.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Shonno
Old 09-11-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Checking in. Thanks for your stories and concerns its Friday and no drink 😃 lots of nerves and anxiety, really felt thirsty last couple days but real bad today I guess payday is a trigger. volunteered to take on extra work this weekend to take up my time. Excited to take on a new future.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you Shonno! I think there is usually a weekend thread to stay sober in Newcomers, maybe you'd like to join?
Old 09-11-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sure I'll look into it. I have a wonderful fiance who is very supportive and sober so I lean on her ,(prolly more than I should). But sometimes she won't or can't relate. So hence my interest in this page.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well scratch another day off the calender 😃 worked today another days pay in my pocket finished early came home took fiance and son to dinner came home had movie night. Happy happy happy so far. Have had a couple anxiety issues but I managed. Fiance can tell when IM getting edgy and and I know it as well but knowing why helps me (and her) deal with it. I've had to take a time out couple times to gather my nerves but no big deal. She is understanding I'm lucky to have her. Bed time now tomorrow is sons 9th birthday so it's family get together gonna be another good day.