Notices

Ring Ring! Sober Weekender Thread Aug 14

Old 08-18-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

And this was before smart phones....or cell phones
Old 08-18-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

I'd have trouble waiting on the roof. Scary stuff to me although I don't have that big a fear of heights. I did climb up the tree after the old crazy cat but it was dark.

Tomorrow we're hiking, wandering around an antique store and then driving to Cumberland Ohio to a zoo/safari place. We'll do the zoo on Thursday morning and head home from there. The hike will be nice. I walked in with Miss Ruby this evening and the second you hit the trees the sound was muffled. It was green and quieter. We saw a tiny, tiny lizard. Almost stepped on it.

I'm doing okay on the trip. I've had moments of extreme annoyance with the kids squabbling almost non stop. I'm out of my comfort zone.

Have a good night everyone! I hope you all have a better day tomorrow. Get out the funk! I'll see you all in the morning.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:28 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Still have the crypto alert Sao ,
still boiling water and have the dishwasher on max , mex-m8 seems to keep switching it down … grrr
UU the local water firm have started to install UV treatment to help get the system clear .
When it's ran ok for 25 years without UV until now, i can see why it wouldn't be high on the list of things to buy when you've got to justify the purchase to the regulator / customers .
catch ya later alligators , m
Old 08-19-2015, 12:19 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  
Do your best

Morning guys
Old 08-19-2015, 01:43 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Slowly getting through the week. We had our one nice day of the summer yesterday. I was working till late so missed it. Back to usual grey and dreary now.

On a lighter note, watched the Rose of Tralee pageant with Mrs B the last two nights. It's basically a wholesome beauty contest based on personality. It's extremely cheesy and therefore hilarious!!!! There are poems and songs and dances. Youtube it, if the mood takes you.

Keep well everyone!

B
Old 08-19-2015, 02:24 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Morning!!!

The house is quiet and the crickets are still in force. No birds yet. Too early. White noise of the trucks rolling along on the highway in the far distance. Cats fed and I relax for a bit before getting moving. Dress down today. No collared shirt.

My coworker on the hot seat today. I plan on being late to a meeting she should know how to run but doesn't. It's painful to watch.

Sorry you still have to boil water M. After hurrican sandy it was terrible to have to do that. Especially for as long as you have now.

Hope LB is doing ok. No electrical issues remain.

Good to see the bus riders faces. Will see you all in the morning.

Hope we have a bus full of new folks again. That was fun. But always a challenge to get follow up. I know I often hide when I was not doing well.

Happy hump day.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

I installed the 'bat eradication device' yesterday. Good news. There are no bats. Bad news... ... whatever was trapped inside my 'cage' was throwing a fit last night around 10 PM when we got home. So there I was at 1030PM up on a ladder in the dark with tools removing the barrier I put up so whatever creature was lurking in the darkness could escape. Seester was telling me to wait until morning...

NO! Whatever it is will find a way out and that may mean chewing through the walls... It's supposed to rain and thunderstorm NOW, but I am going on a spy mission to see what's crawling around.
Possum? Raccoon? Squirrels? Cat? Cat ruled out... Whatever it is it was mad as hell and tried to tear apart my screen. It was heavy enough to be able to discern four feet running back and forth. Cats are silent bastiches. The escape tube for bats is MISSING. I didn't stick my face in the opening to see what happened. The saga continues... My next sure fire guess is possum.
Maybe we'll be cooking up a mess of greens and possum innards tonight.
Weeeee Doggy!
Old 08-19-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  
Hang on!

My money is on a possum. Maybe a raccoon, but they are stronger than you'd think. Wear heavy gloves.

Rain today / tonight, hopefully. It's been a wet summer, but lately hot and dry. This will be the first year in a long time the grass didn't go dormant. September rains coming soon, so this may end up being a green year. Just in time for Super El Nino!

Trying to avoid looking at stock markets and global economy. Too many cheap commodities, too much cheap money, too many unemployed, too much industrial capacity. It's perfect conditions for growth. Something is keeping this from igniting... Who?

Still sober. Day by day.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

possum or raccoon fer sure, I just got off phone with animal control guy and he said coons are having their second litter around here.
I told him he'll need a boroscope. He said he has a "snake camera" - um, yeah, that'll work.
He was going to be close to here but one of his techs has the camera - so now I wait for animal control to come with camera and the game begins.
I retrieved my tube. It has some hair samples and teeth marks. I'm leaning toward raccoon based on a few hair samples. But I'm not going to travel to university extension hoping to know for sure in about a week.
The pros should be here by noon I hope.

Meanwhile it's off to hardware store. The light arrived and the mounting instructions were basically, "Do what you must to affix the mounting bracket to the wall." No hardware included and no toggle bolts were found in garage...
After I finish my oatmeal and coffee - to lowes I go...
Then I am officially done with electrical stuff. Plumbing after light is up and paint dries...
Got some vitamin water and sport drinks in the ice box! Hopefully no storms
Old 08-19-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Good morning! All the adventures with animals, Brain. Good luck with that.

Behan, I'll Google Rose of Tralee. Wholesome goodness. Sounds like a cereal commercial.

We're up and breakfasted. Time to pack up our room here. We'll go hiking, eat and then on to a different area for our own animal adventure tomorrow.

Have a lovely day everyone!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Good morning eveyone! Happy hump day-
What a continuing pain about your water problem, mecanix. I'm sure boiling the water is getting old.
brain...your creature sounds kinda scary. ..glad the pros are coming to deal with it.
I'm hoping for super el Nino this winter. ..I hope we get a lot of snow. It's been too hot for me this summer. Usually I love the dry heat here, but not this summer for some reason.
well, time to get out walking with the doggies. They need their daily walk regardless of the weather which is good cause they get me out walking.
Slow work week...bad for budget but good for my mental health. I needed some down time and am feeling better as a result.
Ruby...have a great time! Enjoy every minute, you'll be home before you know it. You are making wonderful memories.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
If you want to do the healthy, low fat alternative to my favorite food group, ice cream,...freeze some peeled bananas. When frozen, you mash them up and add fat free almond milk until the consistency is right, then add whatever else. Fruit, dark chocolate, you get the idea.
This does sounds great - and I always have almond milk in the house - nobody in our house drinks milk. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Good Morning - it is going to be a Wonderful Wednesday!

Sounds like everyone has some fabulous sober activities to do today.

My company from out of town arrived late last night - so today will be full of fun. Setting up a new swimming pool for all the kids and lots of other activities to do.

Wishing everyone the best as the day unfolds as it should... "chat" later.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Funk is officially over.
I feel motivated to do some cleaning and stuff in the yard I didn't have the energy for yesterday.
Have a great Wednesday!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Funk is officially over.
I feel motivated to do some cleaning...
Well come to my house.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Trust me. I have plenty of my own.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That bananas idea doesn't sound bananas at all - worth investigating. As a single person I am often wary of purchases of perishable things like bananas or strawberries. Options for using them are a good thing

Della - sorry but I laughed too at your ladder distress

Re LBrains intruder i have checked my wildlife dictionary and my money is on it being an aardvark (I only read the first page)
Old 08-19-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

LDT and Cai hong told me about banana ice cream :-

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4136155
Old 08-19-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

what I do with bananas and strawberries that are past their prime is put em in the freezer... then do what the trachmeister recommends or put them in a blender to make smoothies.
I sometimes use old frozen strawberries to make a syrup if I make pancakes...
had my samich, and drinking a sport drink after sweating from being up in the crawlspace - yeah it's 90 here I think...
waiting for the critter guy to call...

I used to watch this show when I was a kid and remembered this tune...

Old 08-19-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  

I, too, put my ripe bananas in the freezer for smoothies and banana bread. Strawberries, I put them on a cookie sheet and free them and then put them in a smoothie, if they are getting too ripe. :-)