# 22 (permalink)  
Do your best

Recharging the luck in my crossed fingers for you Jennifer
Old 08-06-2015, 01:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Pulling for you!
Old 08-06-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This was a public post on Linkedin today. May be of value. . .

Job Seekers…Keep Calm??
Mary jo Fagundo
Consulting Senior Project Manager

Aug 4, 2015

"Oh calm down…” something a friend once said to me, as I swirled down into worry, after being laid off over 15 years ago. A girl can panic trying to figure out which grocery store’s cart is best to have while living on the streets.

My friend’s timing left a lot to be desired but she was right, I needed the chill factor. I’m a creative person and sometimes that works against me, if I let it. I can conjure up some pretty dramatic and tragic stories making the Life Time channel look like The Daily Show.

When I would let the “Stephen King” in me take over my time and energy, I found 24 hours had gone by and I did nothing but surf the internet and hang out with my pessimistic friends, who I thought were being “realistic.”

I woke up to the fact that I was just wasting my time, feeding the worry. My “realistic” friends were just scared it would happen to them, and nor did they have a magic ball into my future. The stories I was conjuring up were just that, made up illusions and not my reality. I held the “magic” ball of my future. I got tired of the pity party and wasting my time.

There is a cool poet named David Whyte, who has a poignant sentence in one of his pieces, “I arranged to get sick of myself.” I did or should I say my ex-employers did that for me, I just had to own it.

I recently have been asked a lot about job search advice, probably because I'm launching a new company (see below- yes a little promotional plug.)

So I’m putting my 3 little gems out there in case it can helps anyone else…

The 3 Gems I stumbled upon that subsided the worries:
1.I took inventory of all that I have in life and as a professional
2.Calmed my “sarcastic” self-critic down
3.Took action, connected with people and got job search support

Result: years later I’m grateful to my former employer for having laid me off years ago. I completed that last class needed to graduate, which in turn launched a wonderful 15 year career. The additional bonus, while being laid off was I picked up some great professional and life tools as well.

I hope this helps anyone in this situation either employed, unemployed or just wondering why everyone may be saying to you… “Calm down.”

I promise you won’t lose your edge if you do…if anything you will find a broader sense of possibility.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Nothing yet. No worries yet.

Jennifer
Old 08-09-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope you get it Jennifer
Old 08-09-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
When did I become so unhirable? Even in the depths of my addiction and alcoholism I was able to get a job and hold a job. A real job. I called on an application I put in to a local supermarket. I was told I'm "not what they are looking for". It's a supermarket. I'm living, breathing and able to work. What the hell are they looking for? This whole thing sends my head to bad places. I wind up feeling hurt and worthless. I take the rejection very personally. I am such a total alcoholic. Now. I found a place that's hiring and it is pretty awesome of a job. I put the application in today. Let's call it a very fitting job. Please keep your fingers crossed that something happens with it. I really want this job!!!

Jennifer
Very Best of luck to you x x x
Old 08-09-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have struggled with getting meaningful employment. My alcoholism to a DUI, getting fired, bankruptcy. I have huge gaps on my resume and no references for the last 5 years. I have had 3 great job offers pulled because I csnt pass a background check. I even lied in those interviewsto hide my worst problems.

There is not much hope for me. Ill be happy just being able to own a house one day. I once worked in finance but undiagnosed ADHD made it hard to thrive. I turned to alcohol for solace and thsts when the real trouble began.
Went to rehab, was diagnosed with ADHD at age 34.

There isnt much tolerence for alcoholism or mental disorders in such a competitive job market. I probably would hire someone else too. I am a liability to a company to ne honest. Dont know what to do....