Notices

Dr told me to keep drinking, doh!!

Old 07-13-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dr told me to keep drinking, doh!!

So I had a good visit to see my gp who is really nice, down to earth and he knows me well. He was shocked by my confession of 80-90 units a week, with 1 day sober a fortnight maybe. I've self referred to Addaction and he said that's great, he'll follow it up too, make sure it happens, then they'll organise a meeting for me and start a supervised withdrawal, possibly with some medication. He said after drinking 80 units a week for 6 months steadily, I can't just stop. I said "you're joking! You're telling me to buy wine?" He said yes, but don't overdo it, so I'm to buy a bottle every day instead of stock piling 6 or 12 or buying the box with the tap. Then slowly they'll taper me off. It felt REALLY weird buying a bottle of wine when I spent all morning organising my recovery... But I feel in control, and somehow I think this might work. Although I've been wanting to change for a really long time now, I always thought I had to stop before I could start recovering... But no, I've now officially started.

He said it's surprising how I'm holding it all together, working, home life, being on numerous committees and outwardly appearing normal. I said daytime my life is great (if a little fuzzy) but night time it just descends into craziness. I'm looking forward to working on this properly.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is great FF! Glad you got medical advice and working a plan
Old 07-13-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good on you Fuzzy
Old 07-13-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your progress.

Have you considered inpatient rehab?
Old 07-13-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're lucky that you are aware of the difference between recovery and just quitting... I didn't find this out until long after I quit daily drinking. I was at 75-85 units per week, and prior to stopping drinking. I also had to "taper". My taper was fast because I had tried to taper down at least 100 times before that one. My problem was every time I'd near the end of the taper lets say it was 10, 8, 6, 4, 2....units per night.... I'd get to 4 units and have 10 again.... So my taper ended up being 7, 3, 6 then the hospital.... which doesn't sound like much of a taper but when you regularly are doing 10-12 units a night.... it comparatively is not that much... looking back... it all seems crazy. But once I got to the hospital and got on the medication every thing was smooth sailing.....of course I didn't know the difference between stopping and recovery back then.... and of course as soon as I felt better I drank again.... and again.... It wasn't until I understood what recovery was that there was a shred of hope.... Good luck to you... In the tapering process drink absolutely as little as possible....
Old 07-13-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you saw your doc. You mentioned you had spent the rest of the morning organizing your recovery...does that mean you have other plans besides the taper?
Old 07-13-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

Well done on doing something about your problem. Your doc knows what's best for you.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job. Glad you have a plan.
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lighter View Post
Congratulations on your progress. Have you considered inpatient rehab?
I have wondered if it might be available? I'll ask when I get in touch with Addaction, I have a job and children but it's still do-able as my husband is at home...
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Good you've got medical advice Fuzz. Withdrawal can be dangerous if it's cold turkey.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serper2014 View Post
You're lucky that you are aware of the difference between recovery and just quitting... I didn't find this out until long after I quit daily drinking. I was at 75-85 units per week, and prior to stopping drinking. I also had to "taper". My taper was fast because I had tried to taper down at least 100 times before that one. My problem was every time I'd near the end of the taper lets say it was 10, 8, 6, 4, 2....units per night.... I'd get to 4 units and have 10 again.... So my taper ended up being 7, 3, 6 then the hospital.... which doesn't sound like much of a taper but when you regularly are doing 10-12 units a night.... it comparatively is not that much... looking back... it all seems crazy. But once I got to the hospital and got on the medication every thing was smooth sailing.....of course I didn't know the difference between stopping and recovery back then.... and of course as soon as I felt better I drank again.... and again.... It wasn't until I understood what recovery was that there was a shred of hope.... Good luck to you... In the tapering process drink absolutely as little as possible....
What medication did you go on?

How do you mean drink as little as possible? I was thinking of still having a bottle a night (with no option of a second) till I get an appointment then taking their advice.

If I do less than the bottle and go to bed and just pour out what's left and then try and keep the same amount the next night.

Actually, this is starting to sound a bit weird... Hope the appt comes quickly!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Glad you saw your doc. You mentioned you had spent the rest of the morning organizing your recovery...does that mean you have other plans besides the taper?
Not really, but I am great at working on projects and now I'm going to treat this like a project and follow some professional advice.

I've got the book on AV, will start reading again and making notes.

I feel like I've got a disease but I've found out there's a cure, I just need to engage and learn....
Old 07-13-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job on going to the appointment and being honest with the Dr!!
Old 07-13-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks, I can't quite work out what made me take such action today, it wasn't the most drunk I've ever been or the worst hangover I've ever had but it's like the penny just dropped and I thought, it's time...

Funny, it's 6.20pm and I would have normally poured a drink by now, I don't even feel like it yet. Now it's going to be a bit like taking medicine. That's good if I can look at like that, it's just necessary to get through this safely. I can't wait to meet someone and sit and talk about this, to do it properly. I want to be in control of myself again.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is why anyone that is considering quitting should see a doctor before and get their advice, quitting alcohol can get hairy and will effect everyone differently and sometimes you have to taper yourself off and/or use medication. Good luck with your recovery.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When family intervened on me August 10th, 1990,
I was placed in the back of a police car and driven
to a rehab facility to first be evaluated for my state
of mind.

The next day a full day with no alcohol in my
system became my sobriety date, 8-11-90
some 24 yrs ago.

After my evaluation and given a healthy
mind, I still was diagnosed as having an
addiction to alcohol and was to spend
28 days in rehab with a 6 week aftercare
program attached.

During that time never was I told I
should drink moderately till I weened
myself off alcohol. Of course there was no
alcohol for me to reach for or available
in rehab. So, I sweated all those toxins
out of my body with daily exercise then
was taught about my addiction and given
a program of recovery to incorporate in
my everyday life once I was released.

For 24 yrs now, I still don't reach for poison
to solve my everyday problems. My Faith
and belief in this program of recovery has
and still does work well for me to remain
sober one day at a time.

Of course, this is my own ESH - experiences,
strengths and hopes of what has and still
works for me.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Can't give medical advice on this forum, but I would strongly urge you to get a second opinion. That's not right at all. A doctor telling you to buy wine... just doesn't happen. There are detox options available, and they don't include buying more alcohol.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think he just wants me to remain stable for the next 7 days until the detox place can see me, unfortunately they have a 7-10 day processing time...

I guess to cut off totally could result in seizures or fits or something?

Also I guess it means when I do see them I'm in my alcoholic state and not (like 3 years ago when I got referred) I'm like "oh I've stopped for 10 days since I asked for the referral, I'm fine" and they actually signed me off as fine too, because I can be so "together" during the day I could convince most people there is no problem.

If I had a choice I would stop right now and enter inpatient rehab as my motivation is that strong.

But I'm working with what's on offer and what I'm being advised to do.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Smart doc. Quitting cold turkey from extreme amounts of alcohol can be very dangerous.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was told the same today do not quit cold turkey taper off good luck in your journey fingers crossed for sobriety