Notices

Dr told me to keep drinking, doh!!

Old 07-14-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopscotch123 View Post
Hey Fuzzy, Im from the NW uk and was told the exact same thing from my GP, taper off and wait to see the local drug and alcohol clinic. Even they wanted me to wait over four weeks for a medical detox with group sessions. I felt I couldn't wait that long and went private in the end for a valium taper (to stop or easy any alcohol wd's) and it worked wonders. Went back to my GP after and they told them I had to pay for the treatment and they looked very embarrassed. Just my input.
Thanks Hopscotch, who did you go private with? Are they national or just local to you?

Yes I think my GP just wants it all managed by the local services as they're obviously more experienced and can prescribe, offer one to one sessions and group sessions, but I'll have to see how long a wait it all is. I think because I'm not a daytime drinker or a spirits drinker, maybe he's not so concerned about me carrying on for a while? I'm not trying to diminish the problem but it needs a planned recovery rather than a quick fix... Can I ask whether you'd ever done a withdrawal before? I've only ever drunk heavily and then stopped suddenly, 3 years ago for a month, last year for 5 weeks. But neither of these had any other programme in place apart from just stopping and trying to stay stopped. Each time I mourned the lack of alcohol like I'd lost a loved one, so I've never got past that stage. How far down the road are you know?

Cheers : )
Old 07-14-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foreverfuzzy View Post
Thanks Hopscotch, who did you go private with? Are they national or just local to you?

Yes I think my GP just wants it all managed by the local services as they're obviously more experienced and can prescribe, offer one to one sessions and group sessions, but I'll have to see how long a wait it all is. I think because I'm not a daytime drinker or a spirits drinker, maybe he's not so concerned about me carrying on for a while? I'm not trying to diminish the problem but it needs a planned recovery rather than a quick fix... Can I ask whether you'd ever done a withdrawal before? I've only ever drunk heavily and then stopped suddenly, 3 years ago for a month, last year for 5 weeks. But neither of these had any other programme in place apart from just stopping and trying to stay stopped. Each time I mourned the lack of alcohol like I'd lost a loved one, so I've never got past that stage. How far down the road are you know?

Cheers : )
Nope, he was from London, Dr Alberto Pertusa (google him). He did a consultation via phone and sorted the script over the phone.

I got into a bad circle of anxiety and drinking and for around 2 months I was daytime drinking to curb the anxiety and it just got worse so going to group sessions where I would have to drive 30 min each way was not ideal at all.

I had been a evening drinker and weekend binge drinker for many years before and last summer I without knowing about the wd's etc I went cold turkey and was fine, bad anxiety but fine but it can be really dangerous.

Im on my 3rd attempt in 2 months, first time was 2 weeks followed by a week bender then week off (both under valium) then 4 day bender and now I'm on day 8 without meds.

I didn't really have a plan, and messed up twice. This time I am avoiding social alcohol occasions for a lot longer and more exercise.

If I didn't get the anxiety from drinking I really wouldn't drink so much, I would binge more than likely but I have just been using the alcohol to dull the anxiety, stupid!