Notices

Dr told me to keep drinking, doh!!

Old 07-13-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Ok so I've now had my "allowed" 1 bottle of wine and am itching for more. I have a can of beer in the bin I threw away this morning.... When I get the chance I'm going to get it out, drink it and go to bed. Tbh I'm only writing this as history for when I look back in a few weeks (God hopes) and realise what it was like...
Old 07-13-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Do you really need the can of beer? Does it fit with your doctor's advice? If not, don't take it!
Old 07-13-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I used to dig my discarded "I'm never drinking again" booze out of the trash too. Yuck. Grateful I don't have to live that way anymore.

Wishing you the best, foreverfuzzy.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Drs advice have nothing on quantity, I suppose in hindsight it was quite vague.

At the moment I just want my husband to leave the kitchen so I can get that can out the bin and drink it, I am seriously unsettled and uneasy...
Old 07-13-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well, first of all, I'd go back to the doc for clear advice.

Second, I think it's better to not drink that can. Get used to feeling unsettled and uneasy because you'll feel it more in recovery. It will pass, but you will need to build up a resistance to it. This is a great moment to practice and get started getting used to the ups and downs that come with recovery. If you don't drink it, you will wake up tomorrow happy and proud that you resisted it and learned to deal with the difficulty you're having now.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That was my problem... once I started, I wanted more and more and more. That's why the saying "one is too many and a thousand is never enough" fit me perfectly. Hopefully, the next 7-10 days will go by fast for you so that you can get into rehab. I wish you the best.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It takes an alcoholic to truly know one. A
doctor can have knowledge of addiction
but if he isn't addicted to alcohol or some
sort of controlled substance then IMO he
or she doesn't know.

When I go to my physician I make sure
they are aware that I am in recovery for
alcoholism and if anything is to be administered
then it has to be non narcotice or habit forming.

I don't know if my doctor is an alcoholic
or not. I don't know if he is in recovery
or not. He doesn't know if I am an
alcoholic in recovery unless I am honest
with him and I tell him.

No one will take care of my sobriety,
my own recovery but me. No one will
care if im in recovery or not other than
me.

It is my own responsibility to make sure
I get the best confident care for my health
as possible. If I am not satisfied then I will
seek for the right one for me and my situation.

Take care of you and seek the best
possible help you need to begin your
new life in recovery as a sober, healthy,
happy, person you possibly can be.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JerryFish View Post
Well, first of all, I'd go back to the doc for clear advice. Second, I think it's better to not drink that can. Get used to feeling unsettled and uneasy because you'll feel it more in recovery. It will pass, but you will need to build up a resistance to it. This is a great moment to practice and get started getting used to the ups and downs that come with recovery. If you don't drink it, you will wake up tomorrow happy and proud that you resisted it and learned to deal with the difficulty you're having now.
I got it out the bin, hurrah!

I had 2 sips, realised I didn't even want it, poured it away, now I'm in bed.

What are these mind games like? That beer was glowing, flashing, calling to me, once I got it I didn't even need it, but Jesus, the call of it...

Night night : )
Old 07-13-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foreverfuzzy View Post
I got it out the bin, hurrah!

I had 2 sips, realised I didn't even want it, poured it away, now I'm in bed.

What are these mind games like? That beer was glowing, flashing, calling to me, once I got it I didn't even need it, but Jesus, the call of it...

Night night : )
Great that you poured it away! That's a huge step.

Mind games, yeah. Addiction does that. But it will go away. You need time and put in the effort. Consider it an investment in life.

Sleep well!
Old 07-13-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're pretty much sticking to your program and following the doc's advice. Stick close to the doc and they will lead you into recovery. It isn't easy in the first few months but it gets better as you go along. From the sound of it, the way you can hold yourself together during the day, you should be seeing some light ahead without inordinate delay. But read all you can about relapse. It's your greatest threat. How to predict it and what to do if it happens. Hopefully you won't have one but they often happen. Don't panic. Contact the doc immediately and they will help put you back on the track. Suggest you talk to the doc about relapse in advance. Some say that your brain may plan one well before you start drinking. Do keep posting. Good luck. Every good wish.

W.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I guess to cut off totally could result in seizures or fits or something?
There is that possibility, yes. I'm assuming your doctor isn't sure you're serious about quitting though, because otherwise he would have prescribed you benzos or something. Again, I don't believe there's many doctors who would prescribe more wine.

But yes, stopping cold turkey can be dangerous. From my own personal experience, I can say diet plays a key part in withdrawals. And actually, if you read up on it, the various sites around say the same. DTs are caused by alcohol withdrawals, especially within people with poor diet.

I can personally attest to that. The times I've stopped drinking after a few days of not eating, the withdrawals were absolute hell and terrifying. On the flip side, if I was eating properly, I was generally able to sail through withdrawals without much issue. I'd get the sweats, maybe some night terrors and everything, but nowhere close to as bad as when I had a poor diet and empty stomach.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

So I had a good visit to see my gp who is really nice, down to earth and he knows me well. He was shocked by my confession of 80-90 units a week, with 1 day sober a fortnight maybe. I've self referred to Addaction and he said that's great, he'll follow it up too, make sure it happens, then they'll organise a meeting for me and start a supervised withdrawal, possibly with some medication. He said after drinking 80 units a week for 6 months steadily, I can't just stop. I said "you're joking! You're telling me to buy wine?" He said yes, but don't overdo it, so I'm to buy a bottle every day instead of stock piling 6 or 12 or buying the box with the tap. Then slowly they'll taper me off. It felt REALLY weird buying a bottle of wine when I spent all morning organising my recovery... But I feel in control, and somehow I think this might work. Although I've been wanting to change for a really long time now, I always thought I had to stop before I could start recovering... But no, I've now officially started.

He said it's surprising how I'm holding it all together, working, home life, being on numerous committees and outwardly appearing normal. I said daytime my life is great (if a little fuzzy) but night time it just descends into craziness. I'm looking forward to working on this properly.
Drs usually go the tapering route in the UK.

It would never have worked for me, but I think the scope of the problem there in the UKand the inability of the health system to cope often necessitates that approach.

Try and remember the object is to taper. Have reasonable targets set each day and commit to diminshing.

If you find you can't do that, please go back and see your Dr.

D
Old 07-13-2015, 11:01 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have my doubts about tapering. If you're going to do it I suggest buying only the amount you're going to drink that day, or throwing away the extra before you start drinking.

So, maybe the first day you drink a bottle of wine. Second day you buy a bottle and pour half a glass down the sink before you start... then a glass etc. Obviously the steepness of how quickly you reduce depends on the doctor.

My experience is if you have extra alcohol in the house before you drink you won't have after.

(My experience of drinking is that if I have any I'll have many. )
Old 07-13-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yes I totally agree about buying on a daily basis so I don't have access to more. Today I'll buy 4 miniature wines which equals a bottle but aim to only drink 3 of them. Then the next day I'll only buy 3 or 2 accordingly. I feel fine today which makes me realise how often I must have been doing 2 bottles of wine recently, because then I'd wake up wishing I'd never been born and literally DRAG myself through the morning ritual to then start the day shaking, sweating, red eyed, ready to meet customers, nice. I wonder how many people realise? I know I'd often be having conversations with colleagues and they'd be looking at me a little odd. I'd be clinging on, guzzling coffee, waiting till lunchtime when I knew the worse had passed. Awful. Well even though I'm still drinking / tapering, which doesn't sit 100% with me or others on here, I know, at least I can say I won't be going back to that complete blind drunk state again, or that monster, frightening, terrifying hangover again. That feels nice. Am eating a lot of fruit during the day and guzzling orange juice, think my body's crying out for some vitamins : )
Old 07-13-2015, 11:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Make sure you check with the doctor before you start reducing your intake. At the least monitor blood pressure would be a good idea.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:28 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you haven't gotten directions from your Dr - do ask them.
It's against our rules for members to suggest treatment plans.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-13-2015 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:37 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

To be honest, again, I would maybe find another doctor and get a second opinion. Telling an alcoholic who wants to stop drinking to buy more alcohol in order to stop is, errr... well, yeah.

I'm not even a doctor, and I know that. There are things like benzos available, but doctors will only prescribe them if they believe you're serious about quitting, as they're quite dangerous and addictive themselves. I've never taken benzos myself, but I've read up on them enough to know I never will.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:57 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Here's hoping you can stay on track and limit your drinking to taper. In theory it seems like the best plan of attack but planning to not drink as much is often easier said than done. I tried that route for awhile (only buying a certain amount of alcohol per night) but often times I would find myself walking down to my nearest liquor store to pick up more. Hope you have a stronger will than I did.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:42 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Luckily I can't walk to anywhere within 3 miles and I wouldn't drive after drinking so I'm ok there.

Also I admitted yesterday that I'd been avoiding a 3 monthly blood test because I wanted to be 2-3 days sober 1st and I couldn't do it. He said well we want blood ASAP to check your liver function. My surgery couldn't do it for 3 weeks but the next town along could so I had the appt yesterday and will get the results back next week.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:08 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hey Fuzzy, Im from the NW uk and was told the exact same thing from my GP, taper off and wait to see the local drug and alcohol clinic.

Even they wanted me to wait over four weeks for a medical detox with group sessions. I felt I couldn't wait that long and went private in the end for a valium taper (to stop or easy any alcohol wd's) and it worked wonders. Went back to my GP after and they told them I had to pay for the treatment and they looked very embarrassed.

Just my input.