Notices
View Poll Results: Do you think you can quit for good?
Yes
73.49%
No
3.01%
Maybe
23.49%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think you can quit for good?

Old 06-26-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

yep yep yep
Old 06-27-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I voted yes, but anything I think about quitting for more than today I start to get overwhelmed. I definitely like to THINK I'm done with drinking, but we won't know that for sure until the day I die. Life is definitely better sober, that's for sure!
Old 06-27-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Yes.
Old 04-05-2024, 04:17 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

What an old thread someone (not me) has bumped, but it’s a good one.

I don’t think alcohols have a choice; it’s either stop 100% or stay an alcoholic. No middle ground.

Do I think I’ll ever drink again? I hope not, but it’s not a given. I need to be wary as we all do.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:00 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Poll: Do you think you can quit for good?
Yes, because drinking again is a choice, and we all have the power of choice. Call it free will, unless you want to get into the pointless semantic arguments over whether free will actually exists. The tricky part is actually knowing what choice is and what if feels like. The words are simple enough, but for alcoholics, understanding them is fraught with indecision. Unfortunately, indecision has no place in choice. Even asking the question posed in the thread title is not a choice. It's a question motivated by indecision. Remove the indecision from this one choice in your life.

Now someone is bound to start with the yeah buts. For example; "Yeah, but suppose 10 years down the road I'm having the worst day of my life?" Well, that's a shame and there's nothing you can do about it. But your response to that bad day is totally under your control, because you have the power of choice. It's true that not drinking isn't going to bring back the sunshine, but getting drunk won't either, and besides that, drinking is going to make things a lot worse after the 5 minute buzz is over. And that is only one reason to choose sobriety on the worst day ever.

When one fully commits to life long sobriety, all 'yeah, buts' become irrelevant.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:09 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

^ I like it, Dri, especially the 2nd paragraph. For reasons I won’t bore people with, this isn’t a good week for me at all (nothing Earth shattering). Five years ago, I would’ve drunk 100%. The best weapon we have against drinking for whatever reason is long-term sobriety. If I relapsed today, for argument’s sake, it’s a massive problem because if I have a terrible day next week or next month, I’d be odds on to drink.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:30 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Without a doubt yes.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:52 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Yes, Because this time I want to.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:38 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
For reasons I won’t bore people with, this isn’t a good week for me at all (nothing Earth shattering). Five years ago, I would’ve drunk 100%. The best weapon we have against drinking for whatever reason is long-term sobriety.
Sobriety is not just a result of our efforts. It is also one more tool to put in our box. Actually, it becomes the workbench we build on. Success during times like this week is also a tool. I heard one time, "Nothing leads to success like success itself."
Old 04-06-2024, 07:03 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Very true, Dri 🙂 A bit like we make our own luck.

I had all sorts of problems and stress helping my aged and needy (and sadly to say unreasonable) parents in their final years. By a genuine fluke, I’d quit drinking about six months before it all kicked off. My cravings certainly came back, but I reckon those few months meant I was just that little bit stronger enough not to drink. A bit of lazy luck and my own luck I reckon. A few things happened since then, but the cravings are less or even non-existent.

Old 04-06-2024, 11:55 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeartsAfire View Post
I can quit for today and that's good enough for me.
Love this. Yes xxx
Old 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Sobriety is not just a result of our efforts. It is also one more tool to put in our box. Actually, it becomes the workbench we build on. Success during times like this week is also a tool. I heard one time, "Nothing leads to success like success itself."
I totally agree with this Dri! I love the expression ‘building sober muscles’, as it’s very similar to your comment. Do a bit of work, succeed, feel good about it, build on it. Become more experienced. Feel good about being more experienced. Sooner or later the sober muscles are just THERE and have been grown into. Be The Workbench. 😊😊 xxx
Old 04-08-2024, 10:14 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

it's definitely easier to quit for good on day on day 1,862 than it was on day one. But it's not something I did just once. I do it every single day.
Old 04-08-2024, 03:20 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Yes, I opened the cage of my prison and I walked out, who would ever want to return? Not me.
Old 04-08-2024, 04:54 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Yes
Old 04-08-2024, 05:05 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I know that I will never drink again because I will always recall how long it took for my body to recalculate after quitting, and that is instrumental for me because if my body was that reliant on the booze, and it couldn't function properly without it, then that goes in the zero tolerance column for me. I have also heard stories of people thinking that they can be responsible and start drinking again after 10+ years of being sober and before they know it, they are immediately back to where they left off and for me that would be sucking down a ton of cocktails, followed by wine with dinner, followed by beers or after-dinner drinks EVERY night, and that just isn't in the cards for me. It was truly insane to see how my brain and nervous system had to re-wire itself in the first year+ and now that I am rewired I am not going to feed poison to the machine. I also would hate to have to start counting again at day 1.....
Old 04-09-2024, 01:08 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Yes
Old 04-09-2024, 01:56 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I can. But will I? I have no idea.
Old 04-09-2024, 03:54 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

At first, I didn't know, but quite early in recovery, I knew that I would. All I needed was to know that I could. That was a big game changer for me. As long as no one can cast a magical enchantment over me, I'm not going to drink, because for me, getting drunk is a horrible choice.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:52 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
Yes, I opened the cage of my prison and I walked out, who would ever want to return? Not me.
Best ever answer!