SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Do you think you can quit for good? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/368976-do-you-think-you-can-quit-good.html)

MaidenNZ 06-05-2015 09:03 PM

Do you think you can quit for good?

Do you think you can quit for good?

HeartsAfire 06-05-2015 09:07 PM

I can quit for today and that's good enough for me.

Dee74 06-05-2015 09:13 PM

Absolutely yes, no worries :)

D

Yazzylove 06-05-2015 09:15 PM

I know that today I didn't drink! Forever is just too daunting for me! One day at a time.. It's not just a saying you literally have to take it 24 hours at a time!

60 days sober today!

TroyW 06-05-2015 10:00 PM

Yep. Toughest part will be going back to Canada to visit the family, but aside from that, I should be able to do it.

Berrybean 06-05-2015 10:57 PM

Yes - as long as I keep working at it and never forget that ...

my alcoholic pilot light never goes out. Not til the day I die.
how my life was when I was drinking alcohol
the way I drank was not glamorous; quirky; or characterful (like it might be in the adverts)
it's no good comparing my insides with everyone else outsides

MythOfSisyphus 06-06-2015 12:04 AM

I'm creeping up on three years, so yeah. No plans to drink again.

Kaneda8888 06-06-2015 12:15 AM

For me, the real question is: do I have self-belief ?

When I was drinking the answer was an emphatic NO. In my early days of sobriety, it was a faint and shaky yes. However, with each day of sobriety under my belt, the answer YES becomes louder and more confident.

Trees39 06-06-2015 02:35 AM

Yes. I don't want to go back to the past. There is nothing for me there.

MarathonMan 06-06-2015 03:00 AM

Yes I believe I can.....after a long time of denial I now know with 100% certainty I will loose everything if I pick up. Turns out there are just too many things im not willing to give up on.

amp123 06-06-2015 03:14 AM

I think I might make it. A hesitant yes... I'm only 6 and a half weeks sober but this feels really different to my other attempts. In the past when I've given up I've felt resentful that I can't drink but this time it's different. I often feel really relieved that I don't drink anymore. Lots of things in my life are changing. I feel this could be the start of something real...

So, absolutely, put me down for a tentative yes! When I was a kid I had a badge that read:

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure

It's a bit like that with an absolutely tentative yes ;)

hopscotch123 06-06-2015 03:24 AM

I do believe so but Im a young guy with a lot of years (hopefully!) ahead of me so it does feel like a slightly daunting task but for the moment I feel confident.

Honest opinion.

aasharon90 06-06-2015 03:25 AM

As long as I continue to incorporate
steps and principles taught to me 24yrs.
ago into all my affairs one day at a time,
practicing openmindedness, willingness,
and by all means, honesty, then, im
guaranteed another days reprieve
that I will be sober when I complete
another 24 hours without poison trying
to send me to an early grave.

OCDDan 06-06-2015 03:29 AM

Yes, I have no choice, it's do or die now. It's amazing what a dose of scared straight will do for you, I don't really recommend all the wreckage and pressure like I have gotten but it's made me straight and i think for good this time. I am voluntarily working a program with my therapist until the court puts the hammer down on me. I really like the one on one, I've been through rehab three times already and failed but the court will probably prescribe it again, sigh..

Fly N Buy 06-06-2015 03:46 AM

Yes!
I can quit for (the) good (of);
Myself
My Family
My Neighbors
My Community
And, Society at large!!!

They all will be very happy :)

SoberLeigh 06-06-2015 04:06 AM

A resounding Yes. Too many great moments to experience that, if drinking, would never be realized.

gettingsmarter 06-06-2015 04:43 AM

I never ever want to feel as crappy as I did for years. There is a very simple way make sure that never happens again. Just the thought of drinking makes me feel ill.

NotYouAgain 06-06-2015 05:19 AM

I said maybe.
I have quit for over 27 years, but I cannot say for sure I will stay quit for the rest of my days. To change my mind is still optional. I can only promise that I will do my best to stay quit today.

In a way, this uncertainty, helps me not to take my quitting for granted, or think I can stop quitting today and quit again tomorrow, or no need to quit anymore because I am cured.

Most long term quitters know that quitting is no guarantee.

chickippo 06-06-2015 05:31 AM

yep. nearly 14 months here and it's starting to suit me. I just feel like I don't drink.

Mountainmanbob 06-06-2015 05:39 AM

Seems so far that the yes's have it.
MM