Notices

Hey, y'all.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
pretty much the coolest ever

wow. just.. wow. i went to their website and it's really empowering. i'm still scared and anxious about leaving work today but i'm going to see if i can't put this into effect and keep my resolve while i pass the gas station. i've gotta show myself that i can do this.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Once you realize you crossed the invisible line, it's time to yank the plug and stop. Everything starts with a day1, and as you pile some days, your confidence will grow.

You got this.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

leaving work in ten minutes.. i'll let you all know how i did tomorrow. i won't ever drink again and i won't ever change my mind.

stay tuned..
Old 05-28-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR
Old 05-28-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I'm glad you found us.

I understand the 'habit' aspect of stopping in the same place to buy alcohol each day. I would very easily get into a rut like that and it was hard to stop. I think that if you can force yourself to drive past the gas station a few times, it will become surprisingly easier. As hard as it is, just don't stop. You can do this.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome Txsober. Ton of support in this community. Glad you found us.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome SoberNurse,
I am also on Day 1 today, so we share that in common. You mentioned that you fear being judged by your home group because of your weight gain. You also mentioned that this has become a life and death issue for you, so I would suggest being easy on yourself and trying to let go of any fear of being judged, as this is your life we are talking about. Plus, I would think everyone in the rooms of AA are worried about things they could be judged on as well, as most of us hit that period of incomprehensible demoralization.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by txsobernurse View Post
i won't ever drink again and i won't ever change my mind.
This statement has helped me tremendously in the beginning of my sobriety. Also gave me that push to decide and stop NOW, and then just build upon it day after day.

Looking forward to hear about your night tomorrow, we're rooting for you!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi txsober! Glad you're here!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome SN,

You have come to the right place. You will find a lot of help here.

Try not to think too far into the future. It might become a bit overwhelming. Rather try and think - I will now drink now, I will not drink today. Baby steps.

Jump on to the weekend bus. It may help you with staying sober this weekend.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 05-29-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well, guys, yesterday was incredibly hard. Without going into detail, let me just put it this way: yesterday was my daughter's pre-k graduation and I left early in tears. Her father just happened to be there and he degraded me right in front of her and everyone. He was physically abusive while we were together and now he just sticks to emotional abuse. That's a whole 'nother story, however. Anyway, needless to say I got drunk afterwards. And, although I am disappointed, there were some wins from last night. I had the words in my head all night - I will never drink again no matter what and I will never change my mind - and something just clicked and I didn't want to finish the rest of my liquor. I had just bought it, mind you, and I stumbled to the kitchen and poured the rest out. That is a victory for me considering if it's there, I'd drink it as to not let it waste.

So, as of right now, I will never drink again no matter what. And I will never change my mind. Thank you guys for being so supportive.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

That's a good start nurse. Keep building on it.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up about last night. It's not easy and figuring it out and takes practice and lots of determination. Most of us have gone back and forth. I know I did. At least 4 times in the last 4 years. The early days are rough. I found this site and it helped me tremendously fighting the early days this time. Post often!
Old 05-29-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thank you misterchill! I plan on it. Gotta stay connected.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm with you- 30lbs overweight, spending all my money on booze. I've started and stopped at least 3 times but each time I learned something. I had my last drink Sunday at 9pm. So that puts me at 106 hrs. I look forward to when I can count in days and then weeks then months.

I was going to suggest going to the gym instead of the gas station, but it seems as if you already have a full plate. I'm still trying to find a hobby that I love and that will keep my mind off of the AV telling me to drink
Old 05-29-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi TxSoberNurse - Welcome to the forum. May I make a suggestion? You might want to take your photo off your profile for security and privacy reasons. If you are working in a hospital and a co-worker sees your postings, it might jeopardize your job.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Welcome Sobernurse !!!
Old 05-29-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Two years ago I had gotten sober and was 127lbs at 5'6". That's a normal weight for me. After a year of wrecking my body with alcohol, I am now 213lbs. It's so embarrassing that I feel ashamed and end up drinking. But not anymore. I'm going back to my life of 5Ks and sobriety.

I figure if I keep telling myself "not anymore, not ever again, no matter what", it'll get easier because the temptation is removed and there's nothing to fight. Hopefully it works.
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good luck on your journey. Reading and posting on this site has been a tremendous help to me.

Welcome
  # 40 (permalink)  

thank you, artfriend. I'll do that.