Notices

Class of May 2015 (Part 2)

Old 05-23-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Jimuk View Post
Reached a new low today and hurt the ones that love. When will enough be enough? Why me?
Welcome to the Class of May 2015, Jimuk! We've got a strong group going here with a lot of wisdom and some great support. I look forward to getting to know you!

Today can be enough. You never have to feel this way again. Hope you have a good sleep and please check in often. We're here for you!
Old 05-23-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, I work third shift which is why I was going to bed so early in the morning and why I'm checking in at that time, it's the end of my day it has been interesting for me to read what everyone's name means so I will share mine as well. The OD stands for one day, so my name means one day is now. I've often told myself in the past 5 months(that's how long I've been drinking on and off since my last longer period of sobriety)one day I will just quit drinking all together and stop fooling myself into thinking I can moderate and one day I will do better for myself. So OD is now
Old 05-23-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Odisnow View Post
The OD stands for one day, so my name means one day is now. I've often told myself in the past 5 months(that's how long I've been drinking on and off since my last longer period of sobriety)one day I will just quit drinking all together and stop fooling myself into thinking I can moderate and one day I will do better for myself. So OD is now
Cool. I was kinda pronouncing it in my head as Odie Snow, like the dog from Garfield combined with the bastards of the north from Game of Thrones. Now I will think of you as "One Day Is Now." I like it!

I've worked jobs with graveyard shifts a few times over the years and could never get used to the hours no matter how long I tried. I just figured when you posted this morning that you lived on the other side of the world from me or something.

Anyways, thanks for checking in! Hope you and everyone else here is having a safe and sober and happy Saturday.

I just got back from spending three hours or so at my dad's house. Had dinner with them and then took my nephew to get ice cream. Made his night and mine too. It's been crazy windy all day and now it's just pouring rain. My phone just screamed some kind of alert at me about flash floods. Doesn't matter, I'm not going back out tonight for any reason. Going to watch some old Simpsons episodes and check in here every now and then.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey Jim

why you? who knows - but you can live a different way

it's enough when you call time, and do all in your power not to drink again.

You never need to feel like this again man

D
Old 05-23-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't want to call you Od, odisnow

D
Old 05-23-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

jim I know how it feels to be close to losing the most important things. It's very scary and causes you to be very down on yourself. That's why I have turned to this site. My pattern is to stay sober enough to earn trust back and long enough to fool myself that I can drink socially. Making a change and following through with it is the only way to make things better, even when it feels like there is no point because no one expects you to do it anyway.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I didn't want to call you Od, odisnow

D
I didn't think about the alternative meaning to OD until after making the name. It most definitely comes from a very positive place though
Old 05-23-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

The reason I can never come up with interesting names is cause I'm afraid that what sounds cool to me or means something to me today still will in a week or month from now. I have little imagination and even less confidence. :/
Old 05-23-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Cissy, you have two great quotes on there . Does the "moment of experience" quote have a special meaning to you?
Old 05-23-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Actually, I never heard the quote in my siggy before I found it on a google search for meaningful quotes about new beginnings. When I read it, it made sense to me cause it showed that instead of our lives having a hard beginning, middle and ending, we can sort of leave parts of it out and say, "Here's the beginning and here's the ending" and it gives you some say in history.

I just think it's a cool idea. The rock bottom being a solid foundation to rebuild your life on is also something I think is cool. I think we have to change the way we look at things because we can't change how they are or were, but we can shift our thinking and find a new place to start.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Jim - good job on stopping and reaching out. These folks have been wonderful these last 5 days.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
I think we have to change the way we look at things because we can't change how they are or were, but we can shift our thinking and find a new place to start.
There is so much truth in this.

Odisnow, I really like your name. Thanks for sharing.

It's been a great day. Relaxed, grilled out, and now watching a movie. Actually going to bed sober and not just passing out is something I am grateful for.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Hi guys,
I had 90+ days sober and then messed up and caved to AV . At least I remember now why I didn't want to drink in the first place. So here I am again starting over.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you made it back in, 60andbeyond! Take what you learned in those 90+ days and keep moving forward now that you're back on the right path. I look forward to getting to know you better!

Going to watch tonight's Orphan Black and then head to bed, my fellow Mayvens. Thanks again to each and every one of you who posted in here today. You helped keep me sober one more day. Sweet dreams!
Old 05-23-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

My user name and my avatar both have a meaning.

The avatar is a kitten decorated to look like the cartoon character Pikachu. I used to call my daughter Pikachu when she was little because it was a cute name. And when I was drunk it was more like...

Peeeeekaaaaa Chuuuuuuu!!

It was really funny and always sticks with me. When I found the kitten picture I just couldn't resist.

AllieKat comes from a shortened version of my daughter's name and the fact that I love kittens. Also seeing it every day reminds me that if I don't keep myself together I could end up like a real "Alley Cat". Hungry and alone, soaking wet outside in a rain storm trying to get inside somewhere warm. It is figurative and would translate into more emotional loneliness than anything but you get the point...
Old 05-23-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FacingFuture View Post
AGAGON,

We feel tired in the early quit partially because we are used to all the STRESS hormones that drinking makes our body produce. Adrenaline and cortisol.

Alcohol is a poison and our bodies have to literally fight to process it.

It gets better. I'm currently on day 3 for this quit and am right there with you (very tired). On my previous quits, it's about week 3 where I started to feel rested (and slept OK at night). I actually just re-read a lot of my old posts to try and inspire myself, and that week seemed to be the magic week. Stick with it, it gets better!
Thanks man. I'm a few days away from completing week 4 - part of it definitely is my body still adjusting - but only partly - I did most of Feb (apart from 2 slip ups) and all of March sober without any withdrawal problems - but the in Songkran (mid-April), fell off the wagon big time - and then at the end of April, got drunk again due to employment/anxiety issues.

Most of its the fact that my new job is pretty demanding, and I've been massively over-exercising, drinking too much caffeine, and perhaps not eating enough. Should probably try and rectify that this week.

Anyways gotta run - its 1.30pm here, got a 2 hour private tuition session coming up, then an hours motorbike ride back to my flat in Thoeng - Big Love xx
Old 05-24-2015, 12:44 AM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Thanks all, it's great to be here with you all.
Lovely to read your words again Dee, it's been too long my friend.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:51 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Can somebody tell me how you become part of a class? Joined last week and just jumped in and started talking / replying to stuff...... don't think I've placed myself anywhere. Maybe I've missed how to join in properly.

thanks
Old 05-24-2015, 12:51 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  
Administrator

It has Jim

D
Old 05-24-2015, 12:53 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by FarToGo View Post
Can somebody tell me how you become part of a class? Joined last week and just jumped in and started talking / replying to stuff...... don't think I've placed myself anywhere. Maybe I've missed how to join in properly.

thanks
Thats all you need to do FarToGo - you're in

It can get a little hard to keep up with posts at this end of the month but please stick with it

D