Notices

Relapse

Old 05-05-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Any similar experiences? - Yep.

How to break the cycle? (again) - Stop thinking that you can do this by yourself.

Here is what I finally figured out, after years of denial.

A) I came to the realization that I was a drunk.

B) I realized, that as a drunk, I was trying to give myself advice on how to get and stay sober.

C) I concluded that was pretty stupid and finally went to AA.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

If there was a way to favorite and save a post, Zebra, that would be my #1.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Any similar experiences? - Yep.

How to break the cycle? (again) - Stop thinking that you can do this by yourself.

Here is what I finally figured out, after years of denial.

A) I came to the realization that I was a drunk.

B) I realized, that as a drunk, I was trying to give myself advice on how to get and stay sober.

C) I concluded that was pretty stupid and finally went to AA.
Thanks Zebra for your reply. I have done A and B, and I have realized I am pretty stupid, but still have not gone to AA.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
Thanks Zebra for your reply. I have done A and B, and I have realized I am pretty stupid, but still have not gone to AA.
you're not stupid. You're just caught in the addictive cycle.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome Vimes! :-)
Old 05-05-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! I havent really ever had a "recovery plan"so far. I saw there are some forum sections dedicated to that, and I will take a look. As probably many here have in the past, I have considered therapy but have never tried it, because as I said I'm an overthinker/intellectual type and have trouble coming to terms with the possibility someone else could fix my mind. But I draw closer and closer to trying that out. I would be very interested in hearing from people with similar personalities who have tried therapy. As for SR helping, yes, I'm sure it would. I'm not even back on track yet, but just being able to talk with people in similar situations is already a huge relief and help.
Hey Vimes! Was great to see you in tonight's meeting. Thank you for making yourself known and for the side chat.

You know what boss? Nobody over thinks and is as analytical as I am. At least nobody I've met in person yet. To a fault. I'm sure you know paralysis from analysis. It's hard making decisions sometimes until I reason with myself that I am taking too long so they must be close enough...just pick!

Anyway...I have done counseling before and am starting up again. I've found it to be intriguing honestly. It fascinates me almost as much as space does. There's a science to it. Several approaches too. It's not sitting on a couch talking to somebody with a pipe who writes down your thoughts and says "hmmm. Interesting".

I have luck with counselors who are up front about what they are doing, how it works, etc.

And I'll say this. You don't always connect with the first person you meet. Don't give up on the process if you don't jive with one person. Simply ask to see another.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It's also worth noting that they don't fix your mind as much as they guide you to do it yourself.

There's some goofy tests they might have you take. Those are fun. Most anyway. They spit out the results that you already know. But in a way that is useful for the counselor to determine the best approach or where to start, etc.

I bet you'll enjoy it.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
Hey Vimes! Was great to see you in tonight's meeting. Thank you for making yourself known and for the side chat.

You know what boss? Nobody over thinks and is as analytical as I am. At least nobody I've met in person yet. To a fault. I'm sure you know paralysis from analysis. It's hard making decisions sometimes until I reason with myself that I am taking too long so they must be close enough...just pick!

Anyway...I have done counseling before and am starting up again. I've found it to be intriguing honestly. It fascinates me almost as much as space does. There's a science to it. Several approaches too. It's not sitting on a couch talking to somebody with a pipe who writes down your thoughts and says "hmmm. Interesting".

I have luck with counselors who are up front about what they are doing, how it works, etc.

And I'll say this. You don't always connect with the first person you meet. Don't give up on the process if you don't jive with one person. Simply ask to see another.
I was glad to meet you too, Incontrol

"Nobody over thinks and is as analytical as I am. At least nobody I've met in person yet."
Clearly you havent yet met me in person!

Your insight pushed me further to try counseling though. If you can find it useful I probably can too.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Still not today... tomorrow then...
Old 05-06-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Still not today... tomorrow then...
I'm cheering for you Vimes. You got this! It will happen.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why not make a plan for tomorrow Vimes - from sunup to bedtime?

D