Blogs


Notices

Relapse

Old 05-05-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Member
 
Zebra1275's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,432
Any similar experiences? - Yep.

How to break the cycle? (again) - Stop thinking that you can do this by yourself.

Here is what I finally figured out, after years of denial.

A) I came to the realization that I was a drunk.

B) I realized, that as a drunk, I was trying to give myself advice on how to get and stay sober.

C) I concluded that was pretty stupid and finally went to AA.
Zebra1275 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zebra1275 For This Useful Post:
LiberatedStorm (05-05-2015), site1Q84 (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Member
 
site1Q84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: California
Posts: 1,914
If there was a way to favorite and save a post, Zebra, that would be my #1.
site1Q84 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to site1Q84 For This Useful Post:
Zebra1275 (05-07-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Any similar experiences? - Yep.

How to break the cycle? (again) - Stop thinking that you can do this by yourself.

Here is what I finally figured out, after years of denial.

A) I came to the realization that I was a drunk.

B) I realized, that as a drunk, I was trying to give myself advice on how to get and stay sober.

C) I concluded that was pretty stupid and finally went to AA.
Thanks Zebra for your reply. I have done A and B, and I have realized I am pretty stupid, but still have not gone to AA.
Vimes is offline  
Old 05-05-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Member
 
FreeOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,444
Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
Thanks Zebra for your reply. I have done A and B, and I have realized I am pretty stupid, but still have not gone to AA.
you're not stupid. You're just caught in the addictive cycle.
FreeOwl is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to FreeOwl For This Useful Post:
Zebra1275 (05-07-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,926
Welcome Vimes! :-)
Serenidad is offline  
Old 05-05-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Member
 
Incontrol15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,412
Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
Thanks Dee! I havent really ever had a "recovery plan"so far. I saw there are some forum sections dedicated to that, and I will take a look. As probably many here have in the past, I have considered therapy but have never tried it, because as I said I'm an overthinker/intellectual type and have trouble coming to terms with the possibility someone else could fix my mind. But I draw closer and closer to trying that out. I would be very interested in hearing from people with similar personalities who have tried therapy. As for SR helping, yes, I'm sure it would. I'm not even back on track yet, but just being able to talk with people in similar situations is already a huge relief and help.
Hey Vimes! Was great to see you in tonight's meeting. Thank you for making yourself known and for the side chat.

You know what boss? Nobody over thinks and is as analytical as I am. At least nobody I've met in person yet. To a fault. I'm sure you know paralysis from analysis. It's hard making decisions sometimes until I reason with myself that I am taking too long so they must be close enough...just pick!

Anyway...I have done counseling before and am starting up again. I've found it to be intriguing honestly. It fascinates me almost as much as space does. There's a science to it. Several approaches too. It's not sitting on a couch talking to somebody with a pipe who writes down your thoughts and says "hmmm. Interesting".

I have luck with counselors who are up front about what they are doing, how it works, etc.

And I'll say this. You don't always connect with the first person you meet. Don't give up on the process if you don't jive with one person. Simply ask to see another.
Incontrol15 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Incontrol15 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Member
 
Incontrol15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,412
It's also worth noting that they don't fix your mind as much as they guide you to do it yourself.

There's some goofy tests they might have you take. Those are fun. Most anyway. They spit out the results that you already know. But in a way that is useful for the counselor to determine the best approach or where to start, etc.

I bet you'll enjoy it.
Incontrol15 is offline  
Old 05-05-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
Hey Vimes! Was great to see you in tonight's meeting. Thank you for making yourself known and for the side chat.

You know what boss? Nobody over thinks and is as analytical as I am. At least nobody I've met in person yet. To a fault. I'm sure you know paralysis from analysis. It's hard making decisions sometimes until I reason with myself that I am taking too long so they must be close enough...just pick!

Anyway...I have done counseling before and am starting up again. I've found it to be intriguing honestly. It fascinates me almost as much as space does. There's a science to it. Several approaches too. It's not sitting on a couch talking to somebody with a pipe who writes down your thoughts and says "hmmm. Interesting".

I have luck with counselors who are up front about what they are doing, how it works, etc.

And I'll say this. You don't always connect with the first person you meet. Don't give up on the process if you don't jive with one person. Simply ask to see another.
I was glad to meet you too, Incontrol

"Nobody over thinks and is as analytical as I am. At least nobody I've met in person yet."
Clearly you havent yet met me in person!

Your insight pushed me further to try counseling though. If you can find it useful I probably can too.
Vimes is offline  
Old 05-06-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 12
Still not today... tomorrow then...
Vimes is offline  
Old 05-06-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Member
 
LiberatedStorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: California
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
Still not today... tomorrow then...
I'm cheering for you Vimes. You got this! It will happen.
LiberatedStorm is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to LiberatedStorm For This Useful Post:
Vimes (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Dee74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 188,528
Blog Entries: 1
Why not make a plan for tomorrow Vimes - from sunup to bedtime?

D
Dee74 is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:40 AM.