Notices

I simply cannot picture my life without Alcohol

Old 04-14-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Life without alcohol was not possible for me. Not only could I not do it, I had no desire whatsoever to quit. It was the ONLY thing I had in my life that had any potential to bring me any joy whatsoever. Even though I knew it no longer did. I just believed that without it, things would go from horrible to worse.

Wasn't until I had a rope around my neck, and landed in a hospital that I was forced to do things differently. My hope in any kind of life with alcohol was gone, and I was told (and believed) that the only hope I had for any kind of future would be if I learned how to put the bottle down. And live differently.

For me, that meant going to AA, a rehab, and counseling. And it meant doing everything I was told to do by the new people in my life, whether I wanted to or not. None of it was comfortable in the beginning, but it was interesting. I learned lots. I've since gotten a college education, a career (with a new one in the making as I write), a wonderful wife, all the things of this world I always believed were meant for everyone other than me. I am free from any desire to drink or take any mood altering substance. I am clear minded. I experience all my emotions with no fear of any of them, or need to dull or extinguish them. I enjoy life to it's fullest - and trust me when I tell you it was completely impossible while I was still drinking. Not even a thought for me - to quit alcohol.

My story is not unique either, as can be seen by the many here. The only thing that is needed is a powerful desire for a new and better life - and then the willingness to step forward into that new life, with no reservations. I firmly believe we have to be open and willing to change, if we want to be successful at this. Many people can put down a drink for a day, a month, a year - even years. It's another story though to do that and be happy about it. It is entirely possible, regardless of how much the drink is presently telling you it isn't. The drink is a big, fat, ugly, yet excellent liar.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Insightful post man. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It is hard to picture life without alcohol. I'm an introvert, and social situations can make me anxious or take up a lot of my energy, so I drink and become an extrovert...then a few drinks later I become a big sloppy mess of a drunk.
It's not like I hide from the world and people, I have a big family and close friends that I can be myself around and I enjoy being with, but the world is a social place and there are tons of social settings, and I always felt like i'd have to drink to enjoy them.
I am worried about how i will get through those situations. Because in life, there is no avoiding them, and I don't want to avoid them.
I want to enjoy them without needing a drink.
I know it's possible. One day at a time.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scared1234 View Post
To be honest, when I drink now, its not even fun. I dont enjoy its company. I dont enjoy my time with it. I don't get that euphoria I used to.
I felt the same way towards the end of my drinking days. Consider yourself lucky if you will for a second. There are a lot of alcoholics that that still love the high. Alcoholics that never got to that point where it literally disgusts them to drink but they do it out of survival. Survival mode I call it. That was me. You sound a lot like I did. Use this stance towards drinking to fuel you towards the sober life.

I like your relationship comparison. It is very much like that. You have to learn to live without it. Once you take that leap of faith and plunge into sobriety there's no looking back. You'll be wondering why you ever dated booze to begin with.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I couldn't picture life without alcohol when I first started binge drinking, mainly because I didn't do it everyday... fast forward 18 years later and I was drinking alcohol for breakfast to keep the withdrawal away... I still couldn't picture life without alcohol, so I truly did have to take it one day at a time or I would've panicked... funny how I couldn't picture life without alcohol at the time, but I never pictured myself drinking a mug full of wine for breakfast, either...
Old 04-14-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yankee73 View Post
... funny how I couldn't picture life without alcohol at the time, but I never pictured myself drinking a mug full of wine for breakfast, either...
This! Oh boy. This. Me too. Alcoholism is a sneaky devil.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

One of the hardest things I did was get out of a toxic, dead end relationship, that truly was a palpable void and once I got over the hump with that and it was in my rear-view mirror, that made me feel very proud of myself and free. So, I can relate to you wanting to translate that "approach" to quitting drinking. I'm ready to be free from alcohol. Yes, I feel scared. Scared of boredom, scared my life wont be fulfilling. But, for me the jig is up....its just time. I'm taking it one day at a time, and trying to work my plan.

I just wanted you to know that I understand how hard it is to get out of a bad cycle comparing that relationship success, getting out of something bad for you, will hopefully give you the courage to know you do have the inner strength to overcome your fear of getting sober.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am new here. I fear a life without wine every day. It terrifies me. But you were not born dependent on alcohol...you can live a life, a wonderful life, without it. I am not living the truth yet...but I hope to be. you are not alone. please stay strong...utilize resources...and beat this demon.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Scared

I felt the same way. Booze was such a part of my life I thought how can I live without it. Well guess what...booze was a lying, cheating false friend. I dumped my "love" but gained real love from those around me. The real love that counts. Family, real friends and most importantly my sobriety. You can do it! Alcohol is a failed love affair ad a liar
Old 04-15-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Life without alcohol was a rather scary thought for me when I got sober.
A thought that helped me to continue to fiight to not drink was the thought of life with alcohol. Life without could not get worse thanwhere I was when I got sober.
Life with alcohol wasn't going to be very long and was going to get much worse.
So I kept fighting.
And miracles happened. I started enjoying life sober.
It involved quite a bit of footwork,though and well worth it all.