Notices

I really need some help and advice

Old 03-18-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

I really need some help and advice

I don't know who else to ask. My old dog is very sick. I almost had her euthanized 3.5 weeks ago, but she still had some quality of life. I made a list of things that if she stopped doing, then I would know it was time to help her on her last journey. I am not new to euthanasia, but it never is easy. This morning she is refusing food (nothing is tempting her). Her eyes do not sparkle anymore and her breathing is laboured. I know it is time.

I don't know where to take her. I am new in this community and have not established a vet. I know a vet over 1 hour away and another 1 over 3 hours away (ones that I would trust). Trust is huge in this thing.

My problem - the one 3 hours away is where my parents live and they love this dog as much as I do. But, if I go there, it's huge triggers for me in terms of alcohol.

I just don't know where to go. Stay here by myself? With no one and deprive my parents of their final goodbye? Go there and risk drinking?

I do not want to drink, but I've never faced a loss of one of my beloved dogs or cats without drinking. Nor have I ever been alone.

I'd appreciate any advice.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I would go to my local dog services in the area and local kennels google in your area hopefully there is somewhere

ive been through this myself and know its hard hang in there bud
Old 03-18-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Calicofish, is there any way for your parents to come to you and go with you to the vet an hour away? I know that is asking a lot of your parents, but as you said they love your dog as much as you do and I am sure they wouldn't want to put you in a position where you are jeopardizing your sobriety.

I know what you mean about not drinking during a time like this, but it sounds like you have other pets as well. You sound like a huge animal lover (I am as well so I can really relate) and I know how losing a pet feels like you're losing a family member. You need to do whatever is best for you. Do you have a job in this new area? Perhaps one of your coworkers will know of a good vet where they take their pets.

I'm really sorry you are going through this, Calicofish.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
I would go to my local dog services in the area and local kennels google in your area hopefully there is somewhere

ive been through this myself and know its hard hang in there bud
Try what SW said Kafka.

I've been through it too and it's very painful. I still regret being drunk when I had to put my best friend down 7 years ago.

Stay sober, no matter what; your future memories depend on your actions today!

Best of luck.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

I'm sorry Calico, I know how hard that is. I don't think I would want to go for a 3 hour car ride if I was not feeling well. I would look for someone local & take care of yourself.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry your beloved pet is so ill.

I would put the needs of my dog first. He doesn't need a long car ride. I would take him to a local vet and let your parents know that the dog couldn't travel.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Calicofish View Post
I don't know where to take her. I am new in this community and have not established a vet. I know a vet over 1 hour away and another 1 over 3 hours away (ones that I would trust). Trust is huge in this thing.
I know the difficulty in letting go of a beloved furred companion. Don't let this trust issue be a hurdle to helping your dog. You'll be miserable if she suffers. Take her to the closest vet. They've handled this before and I'm willing to bet you will be astonished at their compassion.

Just last month, my 17-year-old dog, who I knew was nearing the end for almost a year, started vomiting blood. It was late, my local vet closed, so I took her to an emergency vet the next town over. They discussed treatment options but when I told them I was ready to give her a peaceful end, they agreed and we absolutely wonderful in giving us time to say goodbye and making her comfortable. THIS IS THEIR JOB!

Sorry you have to go through this. It's never easy.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Thank you everyone. I've decided that I am going to my parents. I looked at myself in the mirror and said..."you are strong. you can do this". My parents are too elderly to come to me and they also need the closure. They know I've stopped drinking. I will go and buy lots of chips and chocolate. I will keep posting here on SR.

My dogs love car rides. I have pillows and blankets in the back. Riding in the car has always been one of their favourite things, as long as they are with me. She will just sleep anyway.

I know with your help I will get through this.
Hugs
Old 03-18-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hugs, Calico. I put down my two old dogs (13 & 14) one month apart within the last three months. I feel you. Big hugs. I will tell my girls to be looking for your baby.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great idea on the chips and chocolate! You can get through this and you will get trough this. Please keep us updated, we are here for you I hope you and your pup have a very relaxing drive.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

I said good-bye to my sweet girl. Thank you for your support.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

My heart goes out to you. The loss of a loved pet is sad.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Very sorry for your loss.
And glad you're with your folks.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So so sorry. Hugs to you and your parents, and your sweet doggie!
Old 03-18-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss.

I don't read many books, but I recently read a beautiful book called The Art of Racing in the Rain. The story is told from the perspective of a dog. Reading this book helped me get through the loss of my own dog. When you are feeling better, it might be worth checking out.

I wish you the best.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It is so hard letting them go when it's time. But it's the kindest thing we can do for them.

“We who choose to surround ourselves
with lives even more temporary than our
own, live within a fragile circle;
easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps,
we would still live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only
certain immortality, never fully
understanding the necessary plan.”

― Irving Townsend
Old 03-18-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

So sorry for your loss. I have a 13 year old senior in my home right now.....not looking forward to that fretful day. :-( (((hugs)))
Old 03-18-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

CalicoFish...I'm so sorry for your loss. I had to put down my 14-year old Boston Terrier in December. Cherish the memories you had with your little friend.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry for your loss.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry Calicofish. We are all here for you.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France