Notices

is it at all possible to moderate drinking?

Old 03-11-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is it at all possible to moderate drinking?

starting on the sunday 22nd february:
i didn't drink for 5 full days and nights with no withdrawal symptoms.
i then drank 6 beers on friday night and 6 beers on saturday night.
sunday 1st march:
i didn't drink for 5 full days and nights with no withdrawal symptoms.
i then drank 6 beers on friday night and 6 beers on saturday night.
sunday 9th march:
i haven't drank for 3 days and nights and don't plan to for the next 2 nights.
i plan to drink on the weekend.
is this okay? i am aware that practically no one has managed to moderate their drinking, and in the end had to be total abstinent. but is it at all possible to moderate? i think i am doing well, but at the weekend i want that time to let go of my responsibilities and actually sleep at a decent time.
i have been drunk a total of 4 nights out of 18, i think. that seems like a pretty good ratio to me.

Last edited by smadams11; 03-11-2015 at 10:47 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-11-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe by doing that you control and power over alcohol, and isn't that what we are all really after
Old 03-11-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think if you can drink in moderation, then you really don't have a problem right? Most alcoholics cannot drink moderately.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I never could moderate my drinking. It was easier for me to quit totally than to try to moderate.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

trying to moderate was exhausting at best.
and futile.
Life became much easier to navigate once alcohol was just completely removed.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by smadams11 View Post
i plan to drink on the weekend.
is this okay?
If you are struggling to stay sober, and want to drink, you'll convince yourself that it is okay. And you'll do so without getting affirmation from a forum whose members are seeking sobriety.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For many years I could "moderate" my drinking for short periods of time, but inevitably I would always return to drinking every day, and drinking a lot. Towards the end I was physically addicted and could not stop drinking even for one day.

The questions I would suggest you ask yourself
1. Does the drinking you do cause problems in your life, even if it isn't every day?
2. Why did you need to come to a sobriety/recovery website to find out if your drinking is "OK"? If you have to even think about moderating your alcohol intake, that might be a telltale sign in itself.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I first came to SR I was shocked to learn that most people - normal drinkers - don't think of moderating their drinking, they simply do it. That was when I realized that if I was having to try to moderate, which I was, then I was a poor candidate for drinking normally. It just isn't something I can do, and pretending that I could was exhausting.

I don't mean this as a criticism, but this is what I see going on with your list. I use to write lists like these too. Really it was a way to see my drinking as in control, but the fact that I had to write a list in the first place shows how much influence alcohol had over me. Again, normal drinkers don't do such things, but you can better almost every member of this forum has.

It really is way easier to abstain all together than try and moderate. I encourage you to give it a try, smadams11.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

For me i dont believe moderation works
Old 03-11-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Using withdraw symptoms as an indicator of if you are drinking too much is pretty dangerous.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alcohol has done you no favours, check this post out from June:

i was planning to try again tonight, but last night (while drunk and drifting off to sleep) i realized with immense shock that i have been drinking for 10 years with barely a night off.
(if you dont now me, i began drinking heavily during an abusive relationship)well, it has been 8 years since i have even seen him. how pathetic that i have drank away 8 years of my life (my young years, my supposedly best years-and worse, my childrens young years).
i HAVE to quit now or i will end up a wasted, washed up drunk. i HAVE to stop now of i will waste more of my life on him. and i dont deserve any more pain. i dont deserve to go on like this. i am only 26, i should be enjoying life and preparing for a happy, fulfilling future, not hating life and killing myself.
i will pop in when i am feeling weak and hope to find plenty of support.
i CANT go back this time. this has to be it.
thank you for reading x
10 years is a long time to try to moderate, honestly it sounds like your mind is trying to convince you to keep drinking, and justifying it in terms of I can now moderate is what it has come up with!!

It might be worthwhile going back and reading many of your previous threads to get some perspective on things!!
Old 03-11-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Normal people who drink normally/moderately don't actually think about it. they certainly don't plan drinks, count nights, count different types of drink etc.

Have you tried to moderate before? Did it work? I think for many of us arriving here follows years of attempts at moderation which have failed, even if it lasted a few days/weeks initially.

If you want us to say it's ok to drink on the weekend that's not going to happen. Something brought you to a sobriety site. If it was to get sober then drinking isn't a good option no matter how much it's dressed up as moderation/control/being responsible etc

For me, getting sober meant I could eventually stop the incessant thinking about how many drinks I was going to have,what time I would start, what nights I would drink on, how I could try and control something that really totally controlled me. Acceptance of that brought peace of mind
Old 03-11-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
Using withdraw symptoms as an indicator of if you are drinking too much is pretty dangerous.
Yeah. That's a little crazy in my opinion. Saying you can drink all you want as long as you don't have withdrawl isn't the smartest thing I've ever heard. That's one way to ensure by this time next year you will have withdrawl. Once you cross that line there's no going back.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You may get away with moderation for a while, or controlling it. But as I look into my crystal ball, I see that you are starting down a road that is going to look more and more like trouble and addiction as miles and time goes by. You may have to find that out for yourself, but I can "see" you finding it out one day. I hope it is not too expensive of a lesson for you when you learn it -- for you or for anyone else.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You may not drink every day but your drinking isn't moderate. Something to consider. Six beers on Friday and six beers on Saturday? Not moderate. You've only been DRUNK four days out of 18? Normal, moderate drinkers don't typically drink to get drunk.

Read what PurpleKnight posted. Be kind to yourself. Work on giving up the idea of moderating. It's so exhausting. It's so time consuming and ultimately unsuccessful. You can stop. You can lead a full and happy life without the alcohol. It may be hard to accept that but it's true.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Alcoholics don't moderate anything well.........We are sort of all or nothing folks.

If you have judged yourself to be one, there is little hope of moderation. I would imagine that normal people don't post their drinking habits on a sober recovery website with questions about moderation, but maybe some do....

Either way, welcome - glad you're here!
Read around........you'll find some words that resonate I am sure
Old 03-11-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No moderation here.
I ultimately wound up running at full throttle.
I killed the ignition before I spun a bearing.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was talking to a guy at work a few months ago and the topic was how many days since our last drink.

He said, "haven't had a drink in X days."

I replied, "I haven't had a drink in Y days."

Then a confused looking third guy chimed in with, "Hm, I've never counted how many days I've gone without a drink."

Can you spot the one who probably does NOT have a drinking problem in that story?
Old 03-11-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Doesn't work for long and is too much work.

People with alcohol problems drink to get drunk.
One or two just doesn't cut it for us.

Only you can look in your heart and know the truth for you--
Is it OK?
Old 03-11-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
totfit

Moderation absolutely works for "some" people. In fact the overwhelming majority of the population can easily moderate. If you are part of that small minority that can't moderate, then well you can't moderate. I have followed closely some moderation boards and it was way too much effort for some. Much easier to stay abstinent for most in the "minority" including myself.