Notices

It all started out just fine...

Old 02-07-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Jryan - 50
AV - 1

It's still a pretty good start. Just got let AV get anymore points.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Your eight weeks are in the book, a slip up doesn't make that go away. Look you slipped up, but if you learn something and take away progress from the event so you can do better next time around then it's not a waste.

The route going from point A to point B often goes through points C D and E on the way, but you don't get to C and say "I failed to make it to B!"; you just keep working on going forward to the destination.

Drinking is to be avoided, no doubt, but a work in progress is still a work of art.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
One of my long time friends came to town. Went to dinner- didnt drink. Went to a concert- didnt drink. Went to play darts- didnt drink. Then I drank. FML. 8 weeks gone, down the drain, down the tubes, drowned in bottles of stupid sauce. Now of course I am hung over and my kid is sick. FML. Seriously. I hate this. I want out.
That sucks.

On the other hand, it's a fantastic piece of evidence for you; Alcohol isn't worth it.

I have been down that road many times.... woken that way more often than I can recall.... done and said things I will never ever recall....

For over 13 months now, I have not woken that way. I have not done or said things I cannot recall or that I regret. Have not loathed myself or felt the heaviness of disappointment in my own failure with alcohol.

Because I don't drink, and life is so much better.

Maybe you can find use for that phrase;

"I don't drink, and life is so much better".

Use it right now. Go on, try it. Right out loud. Say it as much as you like. Say it a hundred times a day.

And - don't drink.

And life is so much better.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
That sucks.

On the other hand, it's a fantastic piece of evidence for you; Alcohol isn't worth it.

I have been down that road many times.... woken that way more often than I can recall.... done and said things I will never ever recall....

For over 13 months now, I have not woken that way. I have not done or said things I cannot recall or that I regret. Have not loathed myself or felt the heaviness of disappointment in my own failure with alcohol.

Because I don't drink, and life is so much better.

Maybe you can find use for that phrase;

"I don't drink, and life is so much better".

Use it right now. Go on, try it. Right out loud. Say it as much as you like. Say it a hundred times a day.

And - don't drink.

And life is so much better.

"I don't drink and life is so much better". Love that, FreeOwl; agreed.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Thanks for posting stay near
Old 02-08-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hope today was a better day for you, jryan.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

yeah, went to a friends house, drank and I've been paying for this. All to feel like I belonged. All after sever shakes, sweating, hallucinations, and frequent trips to the bathroom. I just don't get it. It must be desperation. It just doesn't make sense. A normal person wouldn't go through this. It would be nice to have sober friends. John
Old 02-08-2015, 10:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Jryan, I'm in a similar boat. I was doing so good the first 3 weeks, then drank wine with friends, then got back at not drinking and then drank again this past weekend . The thing is I was able to stop but I'm so scared to slip back into my old habits. However I also noticed that it started with not visiting this site on a regular basis and of course being around alcohol. I think we need to come to this site daily and honestly I don't know when it is ok to start being around alcohol again. To all the long time sober friends out there- how did u get it out of your head that you could "control" your drinking? Cuz I know it seems like that at first after a long time of not getting drunk, but I also know that it's just a slippery slope. Ugh could use some encouragement!!! Thanks all!!
Old 02-09-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
One of my long time friends came to town. Went to dinner- didnt drink. Went to a concert- didnt drink. Went to play darts- didnt drink. Then I drank. FML. 8 weeks gone, down the drain, down the tubes, drowned in bottles of stupid sauce. Now of course I am hung over and my kid is sick. FML. Seriously. I hate this. I want out.
8 weeks arent gone! You still have what you learned in that time.

Start again. You can do it.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know when it is ok to start being around alcohol again.

when I just knew that nothing or noone could sway me. I was starting to prefer life sober, and me sober.

It took a few months for me to build up those 'sober muscles'
Old 02-09-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
when I just knew that nothing or noone could sway me. I was starting to prefer life sober, and me sober.

It took a few months for me to build up those 'sober muscles'
I felt I could be around alcohol, I did well once without drinking. Then maybe I went back to the scene just a little too early.

I think keeping close to the things that worked so well before is key (ie the site, talking to people...)
Old 02-09-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I should probably add I never went back to my old drinking buddies or the old hangouts, jryan.

I wasn't road testing my sobriety by being around drinkers...this was a new me in a new way of life.

I made some major changes to my life, and I think that's why I didn't just feel I'd be ok, I knew?

D
Old 02-09-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

I should probably add I never went back to my old drinking buddies or the old hangouts, jryan.

I wasn't road testing my sobriety by being around drinkers...this was a new me in a new way of life.

I made some major changes to my life, and I think that's why I didn't just feel I'd be ok, I knew?

D
Old 02-09-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
So you never saw those drinking buddies again? Were they just drinking buddies or buddies outside of drinking as well?