Notices

A Struggling Life

Old 01-29-2015, 09:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi hipster, welcome to the site. I have a DUI, probably should have many more but was just lucky I wasn't caught. It has affected my career at times as far as applying for jobs but Here in Ontario, Canada we can get a criminal pardon for DUI after 7 years. Wiped off the record. Not sure how things work where you live but I am sure that there is some pardon process that is similar. I have been upfront with employers and they have hired me knowing about it. The biggest problem I have had is actually references and credit checks. Alcoholism really affected my performance at work and such.

I know quite a few people with a DUI. I know of a couple people with 2 DUI's. One a doctor and the other a college professor. They made it out OK and reestablished their career. Heard the professor speak at an AA open meeting about it with 200 people listening. He was adamant never to lose hope or give up. I am almost a year sober and struggling myself but I know there are greener pastures ahead.

Keep posting here. People here 24/7 round the clock for you
Old 01-31-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Your words have kept me going this week when everything around me seems to be falling apart, every time I think I'm feeling alright I realize there's yet another part of my life this DUI is going to ruin. There are so many things up in the air right now that in the past week I've tried to think of the easiest way to kill myself multiple times. The guilt and what if questions have been weighing so much on me that I lost my appetite altogether and have no one to reach out to in my life. I'm scared that if I lose my job I'll have a giant stain on my record that would make it near impossible to get another job going against people whose records are clean. I know the only things that'll be taken from me are material things but I don't know how I'm going to survive, especially since nothing had happened yet and it almost feels like things are closer to normal. But I know things will get darker soon
Old 01-31-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Perhaps it would help to focus on the fact that it could have been worse. You could have killed someone.

Are you still drinking? If you are pouring a depressant into your body it only makes things worse. When I hit my bottom suicide looked like a valid option in my depressed state. Have you attended that AA meeting yet? If you are an alkie it would probably be best if you jumped into some type of recovery program now. I don't know about other programs but one thing AA does is help with the thinking too far ahead that you mentioned. What's done is done. Regardless of what is to come recovery will only make it better, not worse.

Best wishes.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The administration had treated me like family for the 2 years that I have worked here, it's actually going to hurt telling them just as much as it hurt telling my own family. I'm not sure how it will be received or if there is anything they can do to keep me around since it is a charter school run by a bigger company, but I'm still in that wait and see phase where my lawyer wants to be able to look at the charges before advising me
Old 01-31-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

(((Hipster))) Sending you peaceful and supportive thoughts...
Old 01-31-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi hipster welcome to SR I am so sorry you are having trouble. I am glad though, that you are not hurt or anyone else as a result of the DUI. I hope that you will be able to keep your teaching job. I'm sorry I don't have advice but I am glad you are safe. I know this is immense but it is not worth ending your life over. You can and will come back, just find support and lean on it as much as you need to. We are here.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Do your best

Were all here for you Hipster stick close bud
Old 01-31-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good idea to wait to hear what you lawyer suggests before doing anything.