Notices

One Drink on My Birthday

Old 01-28-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I had "just one" and it worked.....but only for a while until I found myself 4 months later waking up and drinking wine in the basement of another active alcoholic, kicked out of my house, boyfriend of three years gone, physically ill with the only thing left being a good job but that was going to be the next to go. Over the past month I've endured physical and psychological pain that I would never want to repeat. That voice that you are hearing in your head about your family and doing the opposite of what you say is your alcoholism talking to you. This is the scariest part of the disease is that we convince ourselves that we're "unique". We're not, I know I'm not. I'm an alcoholic and once I drink I don't know where I'll end up. I've tried to do 1 glass of wine with my best friend and sometimes I can but then there's the other times. I'm done trying to be different because the truth is that I'm not. I'm the same as all the other drunks out there, no better no worse.
I can't keep you sober and perhaps you need to prove to yourself that you really can't have one but I can tell you that my experience as a typical alcoholic is that once you have one you will find a way to have another and another. Maybe not that night or the next and it might take you months or longer to fall down the rabbit hole but if you are truly an alcoholic like I am you can't have just one.

Best of luck and I hope you don't have the same experience as I did.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I proved it to myself in 2012.... Stayed off alcohol for 77 days... Had one beer with lunch... Stopped and got a 12 pack of "miller 64" low alcohol right? Took 2 weeks to drink those beers then went on a business trip hotel bar only had "real beers" and I binged (but never missed a meeting so I didn't have a problem :/ stupid thinking...) and came right back to the 6 a day like I never stopped for those 77 days. That's why I won't have "just one"