Notices

N/A Beer

Old 01-07-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

upminer, whatever works for you! If N/A beer keeps you off the real thing then, please, keep at it! I suppose if I were to go out with others who were drinking I might give it a shot, but honestly I think I would just prefer sparkling water.

For me (and just for me, not the whole world) coffee is for waking up, beer is for getting drunk. There are many other beverages that I might drink because they taste good or are good for me.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ok whatever I haven't had a drop of alcohol for 2 months but I'm not dealing with it..... Guess I don't belong here.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thats not what I said, well done on two months you have longer than I do congrats. The point I was making is by drinking a pretend beer it stops us from distancing ourselves from alcohol, even though its fake alcohol our brain still links it with the real thing. I tried na beer several times and it always lead me back to the real thing. Id start by having just 1 real one for my last, then first and last, then every other one. Etc
Old 01-07-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by upminer View Post
With that logic any beverage other than water, necessary for life, is "pointless" every thing is for a reason. Without NA beer is be drinking real beer still. It works for me and Is far from pointless.
Not judging you upminer, I'm speaking from my own experience. My comment was not directed at you.

But, like I said… We can place a friendly bet if you like. If it works out for you then fair play. It means you have more discipline than me..

… Which wouldn't be hard tbf! But I don't think my logic is as flawed as you suggest. All the best man
Old 01-07-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

And I'm not like that since I know I can't have even one. I'm sorry I took offense to what you were saying. I do want to break the habit of having something to drink in my hand all the time but that predates my alcohol drinking and it not a priority for me right now my priority is no alcohol.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Upminer, it might work for you. I think people are just concerned for you. No moral judgements. You belong here.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Someone posted this same thing a few weeks ago and there were lots of comments. Maybe someone can find the thread and post it.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Definitely no judgements from me moral or otherrwise, as jennie said the subject just always gives me cause for concern.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I tried the NA beer when I first decided to quit. I drank about 30 of them in one day. I was searching for that horrible feeling I had grown so accustom to, not the taste.

That was the end of my NA beer experience.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Here's a thought: I would drink beer if that's what everyone else was drinking, but my drink of choice would be a vodka soda, or a gin and tonic. Yet, I have no problem sipping on just soda or tonic. It doesn't make me crave the vodka or gin.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
quat

I bet there are as many opinions on this subject as there are people that speak to it. I'm neutral , not having even tried na beer, not for any reason other than I was fairly snobbish when it came to My beer and the majority of the reviews of the taste of it is less than encouraging that I would enjoy it. But there is something to the aspect of what drinking a 'substitute' beer as an activity and the motivation(s) behind them and what may result because of them. Not that simulated drinking, as opposed to drinking a beverage purely for flavor, is conscious or unconscious self sabotage just that it could be and I think tose that have experienced this want to voice a warning.
What I have noticed , since becoming a nondrinker, is that in social situations the amount of fluid I drink is much less in sheer volume than my drinking counterparts. At a ballgame I would easily buy 5-6 beers, soda ? huh not so much. A sit down meal at a restuarant was usually at least two premeal cocktails, more with dinner and some after, just before leaving the table, now if I order more than one soda and or water that would be alot. Just some things I have noticed in the last year or so
Old 01-07-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

There are a few NA beers that taste pretty good. I drank them for awhile a few years back. But I suddenly realized that I didn't need the empty calories--in spite of the fact that NA beers have far fewer calories than the alcoholic variety. Now, I drink things that taste even better--hot chocolate, tea, and even a lemon or lime wedge in a glass of sparkling water (that's what I normally drink in situations where I find myself at a bar).
Old 01-07-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

everyone is different. what works for some, will not work for others.
You have to find what will or will NOT work for YOU.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

No worries upminer I was the same, I spent a shedload on that for a while and then eventually ended up back on it, I can't even remember specifics.

2 months is good going, hang in there pal!
Old 01-07-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Do your best

Doggonecarl kindly posted all the discussion threads on this topic thank you carl

there is a lot of discussion on this

For me i have friends here who drink NA beers wines etc and thats thier business and they have a friend in me that doesnt drink NA beer wines etc thats my business

im not here to say its wrong or right but for me its way too close to the real thing for me

the exact same thing im staying away from
Old 01-07-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please keep personal comments to PM, not the boards.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Wow, I didn't even know that N/A wine existed. I have had N/A beer in the past. I remember it had a burning sensation, just like decaf coffee. I never want either one again. But now I want to try the N/A wine to see what that is like.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
I bet there are as many opinions on this subject as there are people that speak to it. I'm neutral , not having even tried na beer, not for any reason other than I was fairly snobbish when it came to My beer and the majority of the reviews of the taste of it is less than encouraging that I would enjoy it. But there is something to the aspect of what drinking a 'substitute' beer as an activity and the motivation(s) behind them and what may result because of them. Not that simulated drinking, as opposed to drinking a beverage purely for flavor, is conscious or unconscious self sabotage just that it could be and I think tose that have experienced this want to voice a warning. What I have noticed , since becoming a nondrinker, is that in social situations the amount of fluid I drink is much less in sheer volume than my drinking counterparts. At a ballgame I would easily buy 5-6 beers, soda ? huh not so much. A sit down meal at a restuarant was usually at least two premeal cocktails, more with dinner and some after, just before leaving the table, now if I order more than one soda and or water that would be alot. Just some things I have noticed in the last year or so
yeah I'm changing it up and trying different drinks as well and even when I have the NA it's one or two vs 7 or 8 when I was drinking real beer.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I've had non-alcoholic wine, and honestly- it sucks. Worse than grape juice.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I tried one a few months ago, awful!