Notices

N/A Beer

Old 01-07-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay View Post
Wow, I didn't even know that N/A wine existed. I have had N/A beer in the past. I remember it had a burning sensation, just like decaf coffee. I never want either one again. But now I want to try the N/A wine to see what that is like.

Try grape juice with some soda water

I think I tried this in one of my first or second attempts at sobriety and again was thoroughly underwhelmed.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

So let's put some monkeys in a cage with unlimited supply of both. At the end of 3 days the ones who drank the NA are Non-drinkers. We could also conclude that the act of tipping a glass is too triggery. Drinking several in a bar setting could go either way- if it's strictly business-no problem. I knew a guy 30yrs sober who kept a fully stocked bar for entertaining and he was in sales. You know your motives. Why do you want to?
Old 01-08-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
Why do you want to?
1) I was wondering if it could be used as a substitute in recipes that call for wine.
2) I was wondering if I could drink it in social situations--do bars serve it? I normally decline social gatherings in bars since it seems weird not to drink with everyone else. This was true even when I was actively drinking since I never drank before driving. I always drank at home.
3) I have osteopenia, so I do not drink carbonated beverages--which is usually the only other alternative in social situations. In general, it is hard to find alternatives that don't have a lot of caffeine, carbonation, or sugar in them.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

What he said.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

If anything the thread serves as a good bump...
Old 01-08-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Well, now that you put it that way. If I had to use wine for a must-have-recipe I'd use wine--it cooks off. Never asked in a bar for N/A wine I know they have the beers. Others suggest lime water as it could be vodka , gin, whatever if yer going for the look. I've never had to do that--look otherwise. Nor do I have to tell everyone. Just not drinking is more prevalent than you think.