Notices

Wasting beer

Old 01-06-2015, 10:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good job handling that situation.

I think that the world needs some education in this arena. This may sound strange, but I sort of compare it to people asking folks about when they are going to have children. I have gone through infertility, and going through that, it has made me much more aware of how inappropriate such a question is, and how hurtful. Same with alcohol: when someone declines a drink, you don't know why they are declining it. While it is, of course, our responsibility to not drink, pushing beer on someone when they've declined strikes me as rude and insensitive.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The beer was all about him and his feelings about drinking, not you- you just happened to be there. "Wasting" the beer is about as realistic as wasting a nice glass of paint thinnner; abstaining isn't a waste when indulging will kill you.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Where I grew up up every guy I knew drank a lot. The national sport was drinking. The second sport in the country was knocking those that were "on the wagon"....off the wagon using whatever means were necessary. It was almost like everyone was in the downward cycle of alcoholism together and proud to be a part of it, as everyones life was slowly but steadily flushed down the toilet. Its all BS camaraderie and bravado as now everyone is privately picking up the pieces.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alwyshope12 View Post
You need to remember that 60 % or Americans have Zoer to less than a drink a week, so not drinking is actually much more normal than drinking.

There is little to gain from having a beer, and sooooooo much to loose. I actually can't put a price on my sanity and emotional well being.
Great point! I think only 10% are heavy drinkers which to most of us would probably seem silly like 4 drinks a day. I'm guessing maybe 1% drink like we did.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Great point! I think only 10% are heavy drinkers which to most of us would probably seem silly like 4 drinks a day.
Yes, 4 drinks does seem silly. That's like stretching before going for a run for me! I'm sure many here can relate.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think if you drink a lot , you compare yourself to others you know who also do, and forget the many people you know who don't drink much or at all!!! But only a problem drinker tries to foist it on others... to make themselves not alone in their drinking...

Last edited by enfinthechange; 01-08-2015 at 02:55 AM. Reason: came up on wrong thread for some reason