Notices

Finally told best friend I was quitting...her response?

Old 12-30-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It's ok. She may not have faith in you just yet, but we do. Keep going
Old 12-30-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you guys!! I needed to hear that from all of you wonderful people!!

Old 12-30-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done Artfriend
Old 12-30-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You should feel proud - this is your life and you are doing what is best for you. You can do this.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

That would make me fightin mad. I'd set out to prove them wrong. Then, after wearing sober for a year or so you can rub it in their face, then make an informed decision as to whether it's right for you. Kill two birds w/one stone.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
That would make me fightin mad. I'd set out to prove them wrong. Then, after wearing sober for a year or so you can rub it in their face, then make an informed decision as to whether it's right for you. Kill two birds w/one stone.
LOL! Sounds like a plan. Living well is best revenge.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I stopped telling people (other than my husband) I was trying to quit or how many days sober I was . I never got any "good jobs" at my successes - just "I told you so's" when I slipped up. Part of me is so ashamed I don't say anything anymore either (but that's my problem). Your actions will speak louder than your words or hers!! You can do it!! Prove it to your self and worry about the rest after..
Old 12-30-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

did you say...

"You're my best friend. It was hard for me to bring this up. It's been hard for me to come to terms with the reality and the impact of alcohol in my life, but I really, really want to live differently. You saying 'yeah, right' really hurts... I'd hoped for your encouragement and support. I guess I understand why you might say it, but I sure hope I can count on you to get past that and be supportive. I'd prefer not to lose your friendship over this."

or something along those lines?

I'm sorry that was the reaction you got. I'm sure it did hurt. I'm sure it was discouraging. I hope you can share your truth with your friend and in doing so help her understand how serious this is for you....

It might be that your friend simply doesn't get it, but with a little help may be able to be supportive and helpful in your sobriety.

If not, well then in your shoes I'd be questioning whether this 'best' friend was a good choice in my life.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

People are a lot less skeptical when you tell them you quit "six months ago" rather than "I am going to quit", so I didn't volunteer the information unless someone else brought it up. I didn't exactly have a history of success with sobriety, so people's skepticism was probably warranted.

Most "normals" don't want to talk about this stuff, it puts their own tenuous grasp on sobriety in the spotlight.

Good luck.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

i tired telling the judge i am sorry and that i promised the court i wouldnt drink again and they wouldnt believe me either, they sent me to prison for 3 months
Old 12-30-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

good stuff here
Old 12-30-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got that too...but I'd been saying 'I've quit' for well over a decade.
Interestingly the 'yeah righters' are no longer in my life...

D
Old 12-30-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I've said I was quitting many times. If we listened to our doubters there wouldn't be a road to recovery. Thankfully we all have free will and can blaze our own trails.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My credibility was in the crapper. 5.5 years sober and the people who know me the best still aren't sure. As my sponsor taught me, "It is none of my business what others think of me." I stay sober for me so damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead!
Old 12-30-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
"yeah, right"

that hurt... makes me not want to tell anyone about this.
**** that. You got this.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

being serious here for a moment

would anyone believe someone is quit for good when they stop drinking, if they have kept on promising to stop drinking over and over again ?

what makes this time any different from all the other failed attempts ?

people who have loved us will have heard it over and over again so put yourself in there shoes would you believe it ?

my kids gave up all there hope that one day i would ever sober up

it took them a good while before they could feel relaxed like kids should be able to about there parents and not worry if there going to run off for a drink at any point

time it the key as no matter what you say it will only be how long you manage to stay off the drink that will start to win anyone over

trust will grow again but slowly, the problem is that i would expect everyone else to just believe i am quit for good and because they dont it would hurt me instead of understanding they will have heard it all before and they get fed up of having there hopes raised and then crushed again

i can not very well ignore my kids or cut them out of my life just because they didnt believe that i was quit for good, instead i had to gain there trust and confidence back and its only time that worked
Old 12-31-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Take the Challenge!
Old 12-31-2014, 02:28 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

It'll feel really good in a month or two or three when people ask if you stopped drinking and you can answer "yes!"
Old 12-31-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I do care what people think of me, as I believe it provides a reflection of who I am. I do make a distinction as to who says it though. Are they a lowly drinking buddy or senior work colleague whom I admire and respect? If they are a person I admire and respect and their opinion is significantly different from the person I want to be, then it can be an indication that more works needs to be done. If they are my old drinking buddy, then they are probably just reacting to hearing it many times before. However, it is ultimately up to me to define who I want to be and take the actions to get there, regardless of what people think.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
~sb

sounds like you had expectations of great support and instead, you got what you got.

it's ok. you can show her how you can stay stopped and if this is a true friendship, she will support you, eventually!