Notices

Hello, Friends.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
That's great. A plan is crucial. In the meantime, have you quit drinking?

Don't overthink this. Quit drinking, find a way to support your decision to get sober, and work on the things in your life that drive you to alcohol.
I've had one day off drinking since Sunday, which was on Monday. Tuesday - Wednesday, I had 20 beers, total.

I have been in contact with my previous addiction counselor/therapist. She has some time available this month to see me. I never would have stopped seeing her, but my insurance was an issue. Now I have decided to just pay for it out-of-pocket.

I agree that over thinking isn't helpful; I guess I am just a little philosophical in nature. I do have a history of stopping, and I do know some strategies that have helped me in the past. I am just having trouble maintaining momentum in sobriety. Around Thanksgiving I took a 5 day break from drinking, which was spurred by the cold I had....but I didn't maintain.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

can ya stay stopped from drinking? if not, seems kinda powerless to me.

embrace some program of change and work it well!!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
can ya stay stopped from drinking? if not, seems kinda powerless to me.

embrace some program of change and work it well!!
I have no problem with those who feel they are "powerless" against alcohol. I am not one of those people, however. As I've said, whatever works for someone, I support them 100%!

Let me give an analogy: When you are 30 pounds overweight, are you "powerless" against food? Or have you just not yet started your fitness and diet program? Maybe you know the right path, but you just need a little coaching and encouragement to execute your plan. In 2011 I lost 57 lbs...and I never felt "powerless" in the process.

Just my personal opinion.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well...

I am screened to enter rehab this Saturday.

Not sure if it will happen, but I hope so. I am not "powerless" against alcohol. I mustered enough strength to fire a shot across the bow...
Old 01-13-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope Saturday goes well for you Alladinsane

Good luck bud
Old 01-13-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Hope Saturday goes well for you Alladinsane

Good luck bud
Thank you, Soberwolf.

This will (I hope) be my third time in rehab.

I have matured in life (my last rehab was in 2008) and I understand my addiction much more. I hope this is the key to my long-term recovery.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Kinda irritated. This forum seems to love drama. I would seemingly have a lot more support if my thread was titled, "Screwed around on my GF last night...feeling sad.".

Typical, I guess.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AladdinSane View Post
Kinda irritated. This forum seems to love drama. I would seemingly have a lot more support if my thread was titled, "Screwed around on my GF last night...feeling sad.".

Typical, I guess.
Ironically, I have plenty of those stories over the last 20 years....but choose not to glorify them.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

patience grasshopper... this is the slow time of day.

Make the most out of rehab if you go - it is 'time off' from reality for a spell.
Rehab will teach you nothing you don't already know. But it will prevent you from picking up a drink. And give you time to think things over and reflect on the years of drinking. It may solidify the concept of being an addict and the only "cure" is complete abstinence. And it will push you into a 12 step program. Not my cup of tea, but hey, some people survive it.

Look into AVRT - make the decision to quit for good with no looking back. Everything else is fluff. Hopefully soon more folks will show up to rebuff some of my comments or concur with some of what I have offered. In the mean time, I believe the piano interlude in this song is where many of us have been a time or two...
Old 01-13-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't been around for a while so I can't compare responses to this thread to any other - I will say that not many threads get to a page two tho.

There's been some gaps in your postings. Threads can easily slip a few pages back in a few days - I don't believe it's about drama at all...personally I found that comment distasteful.

SR is like any other community AS. The more you post - and post on other peoples threads - the more you get involved, the more responses you're likely to get.

Best wishes for saturday - hope it goes well

D
Old 01-13-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AladdinSane View Post
Well...

I am screened to enter rehab this Saturday.

Not sure if it will happen, but I hope so. I am not "powerless" against alcohol. I mustered enough strength to fire a shot across the bow...
Hope all goes well for you on Saturday. We will be with you in spirit.

How long is the rehab program?
Old 01-14-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
patience grasshopper... this is the slow time of day.

Make the most out of rehab if you go - it is 'time off' from reality for a spell.
Rehab will teach you nothing you don't already know. But it will prevent you from picking up a drink. And give you time to think things over and reflect on the years of drinking. It may solidify the concept of being an addict and the only "cure" is complete abstinence. And it will push you into a 12 step program. Not my cup of tea, but hey, some people survive it.

Look into AVRT - make the decision to quit for good with no looking back. Everything else is fluff. Hopefully soon more folks will show up to rebuff some of my comments or concur with some of what I have offered. In the mean time, I believe the piano interlude in this song is where many of us have been a time or two...
Brings a smile to my face, that you caught my Bowie reference.

I am not an AA fan, as I have mentioned. But...getting back into social situations, and waking up each with drinking "not being an option" will be great. I will feel a sense of relief from day 1.

This is my 3rd go at rehab, my last being in 2008. After that 21-day stint, I went 23 months and 3 weeks without a drink. I didn't know I was bipolar, and a major depressive episode brought me down.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Hope all goes well for you on Saturday. We will be with you in spirit.

How long is the rehab program?
Well, I would like to go 28 days. But I have to pay, and I am also worried about taking too much time off from work, even with FMLA. I expect 14 days, this time.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I haven't been around for a while so I can't compare responses to this thread to any other - I will say that not many threads get to a page two tho.

There's been some gaps in your postings. Threads can easily slip a few pages back in a few days - I don't believe it's about drama at all...personally I found that comment distasteful.

SR is like any other community AS. The more you post - and post on other peoples threads - the more you get involved, the more responses you're likely to get.

Best wishes for saturday - hope it goes well

D
That is just my observation, about the drama. I have not posted for periods, but have been viewing.

I have a prolific existence on some other forums (not addiction-related). I have seen there what triggers interest (through view and post counts). This forum fits into the same demographic. It's human nature, I guess. But perhaps frustrating, in the context of of why I am here.

Thank for you for the good wishes!!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

the most important aspect of this is your desire to quit for good and acceptance that the decision is FINAL. Perhaps look into AVRT - check out the secular connections forum for more information about it.

The bottom line is coming to the realization that drinking is not an option under any circumstance for the rest of your life. Once you accept it, embrace it. So much weight will be lifted from your shoulders. It's a liberating feeling.
Good luck.

added
btw - I used this forum as my major support over the year. I found it to be an invaluable tool. Whenever I was having a difficult time with the desire to have a drink, I stopped what I was doing and logged onto to SR. It worked for me.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Rehab, this time, is going to be a real challenge for me.

My social withdrawal is so great now...

I will have to share a room with other patients. Go to group meetings. Go to AA in the evening. Mostly young people, which adds another degree of anxiety. I mean, these days, I barely leave the house...even on weekends. Maybe a beer run.

It's scary, but I know I need this. I need help. I thought about it the other day...I am not consuming alcohol ...alcohol is consuming me.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

you can learn a lot from kids...

two things - when I was 'in' I pitied them. But I also envied them.
To think some of them may be back here when they are my age, and to think that some of them will "get it" and never have to come back.

Use your experience as a learning tool for the younger ones who think that because they are young it's no big deal. Take this as an opportunity to teach others that alcohol is a life long enemy. Don't look at the inconveniences of the situation, make it work in your favor.
You will be annoyed and amused at the antics of the young folks. It's definitely a trip - like a middle school lunch room at times. There will be a few old timers there as well. You'll be fine.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
you can learn a lot from kids...

two things - when I was 'in' I pitied them. But I also envied them.
To think some of them may be back here when they are my age, and to think that some of them will "get it" and never have to come back.

Use your experience as a learning tool for the younger ones who think that because they are young it's no big deal. Take this as an opportunity to teach others that alcohol is a life long enemy. Don't look at the inconveniences of the situation, make it work in your favor.
You will be annoyed and amused at the antics of the young folks. It's definitely a trip - like a middle school lunch room at times. There will be a few old timers there as well. You'll be fine.
I know all of that is true. When I first went in, 10 years ago, the older folks scorned my attitude. Now I know, for good reason!! I was 35 then...and nobody could tell me that I was still a kid!

I am nervous, but looking forward to recovery!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I am bumping my own post...I am getting very excited about this Saturday! I have been staring into the abyss for too long...
Old 01-14-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Good luck!!