Notices

Feeling really sad

Old 12-13-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
Lance, I don't know the situation with the house guest but it must have been pretty bad to have such a devastating effect on you. But I'm also hearing you say that you have had a solid relationship of 15 years. You sound exhausted to me. You can always call a hot line to talk to a counselor. I think your psychologist friend was a good call to make and I hope she calls you back soon. Maybe you could go to a hotel and get a good night's sleep. The office can't be comfortable. I also hope that you've let your partner know that you are safe and ok. He must be worried sick. Whatever you do, don't drink. You won't be able to resolve this and you will feel horrible. This will pass....Hang in there.
Thanks so much for the encouragement. I was actually able to have a free telephone counseling session a short bit ago through our Employee Assistance Program. I told my partner I would contact him at 5, so I did that and let him know I'm doing better and that I was able to get some counseling. I'm feeling so much better now, and I must say it's really something else to deal with stuff sober for perhaps the first time in my adult life.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Wow! That's great! Feeling a bit better I hope
Old 12-13-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Lance40, that is wonderful, and I'm so glad that you're feeling better. It is hard dealing with hard feelings and situations sans alcohol, but it gets easier each time and feels very empowering. Keep us posted.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Lance,
phone the crisis line:
604-872-3311

you can just chat with whatever volunteer answers, and/or they have tons of info about places to go for help, shelters, meetings, people to talk to.
they're non-judgmental and excellent listeners.
if for some bizarre reason you speak with someone who is NOT those things, phone back in a couple of hours and you'll reach someone else.
and also, if you "just" want a meeting, there are tons of Aa meetings all weekend long.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...81828268,d.cGU

edit: oh1 i just read your later posts about EAP and the counseling call. great! and there is an AA meeting at the Qmunnity Centre tomorrow at noon. yes, on Sunday. no, i'm not pushing AA, but it IS a place to go and get connected.

glad to hear you're feeling much better.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

hey Lance,

you okay today?
Old 12-14-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
hey Lance,

you okay today?
Hi fini - thanks so much for checking in - it's been a good day. I had my weekly meeting with my sponsor today and we spent the entire time talking about the situation. Boy howdy did I get schooled and did it ever get laid out on the line but in a good way. I was informed we are meeting again tomorrow and that it's a good thing we are starting Step 4 because I need to take accountability and responsibility for my part in the resentment I've been feeling and the situation that I've let develop in my own home. We are friends whose relationship pre-dates the sponsorship, so it was actually really refreshing and a great meeting.

Thanks for passing along the tip about the meeting at Qmunity. I live only two blocks from there. I already knew about the Sat evening meeting at St. Paul's and have been there. My Sundays are generally full with church activities, but it's great to know that Qmunity is a close option for meetings.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The house guest needs to go, it's your house! Easier said than done though I get it.
I had a family member I don't know well move into my house, I did it as a favour because he was getting divorced and had nowhere else to go. What a mistake that was!!! Fast forward 8 months, he didn't pay a dime in rent or bills, took over the house, started making rules, created problems with my boyfriend and I, also he created problems with other family members and I. The situation had my drinking really out of control. It's horrible, I was going to move out of my own house!!!! He's gone now thankfully....
Feel your pain
Old 12-14-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hostels or guesthouses are cheaper and feel less " cold" than hotels too, at least I enjoy them.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

thanks for the update, Lance; i'm glad to hear you feeling so much better and being so proactive.

Qmunity has a meeting every day at noon.

and there is a "queer and trans" meeting at Britannia wednesdays at 6:30 pm, too, which is open to everyone.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lance40 View Post
Thanks so much for the encouragement. I was actually able to have a free telephone counseling session a short bit ago through our Employee Assistance Program. I told my partner I would contact him at 5, so I did that and let him know I'm doing better and that I was able to get some counseling. I'm feeling so much better now, and I must say it's really something else to deal with stuff sober for perhaps the first time in my adult life.
This thread illustrates so very well ...how we grow in sobriety ..and why.

In your OP, you ask how we deal with feelings and these situations without drinking...

And then the thread reveals.....how. You were seeking and proactive.

Awesome.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Lance . kiddo it seems that the world is just crazy now.. my daughter was married to this great man for 21 years and they lived together for 4 years during college.. both have huge jobs travel pay and they had a beautifull home together for the last 15 years..in Jan he told her he was gay and did not love her at all. my daughter just was broken to bits.. she just works and works and works and tries to pretend her life is not broken.. I am sorry... for you just you.. call your Mom and talk to her. for Moms are better then any 2 bit degreed councilor and she will give you the truth.. because son that is why we are the MOM.. forever.. now as Melly says Pitty party over time for action and mm think I will call Mom.. by the way Melanie is in London City and kiddo I know when the tears are falling cause I can't stop crying too.. your Mom is sitting someplace and wondering what it happening.. call her and be the child that she loves so much.. Iam sorry if I am out of line but I am so sad for how things are going for everyone... love a Mom...
Old 12-15-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Ardy,

sorry to say not all moms are loving, accepting and 'better ' than counselors in times of trouble.

in my times of trouble with sexuality, or alcoholism, or divorce, or anything really important, really, my mom or dad are not on the list of firsts 100 people to call.
though i see them every week and cook them soup.

there are moms and dads out there whose constant judgments are real door-closers.